Choir room/materials and thinking "out of the box"
  • Hi everyone,

I wanted to start a forum post that focuses just on creative things that everyone does with their choirs--from how music for each member is stored, organization of the room itself, to fun materials given to each member for their own organization, or.. or.. etc. I guess what I'm saying is: let's bring together the creative/innovative things that you all thought of over the years and compare.

Donna
    Thanked by 3elaine60 Kathy CHGiffen
  • Carl DCarl D
    When I led a schola, I put all the music, translations and practice recordings on a website - behind a password, of course. It helped my own organization as well.

I also recorded lots of the Masses and extracted the music - which led to the Colloquium recordings. But I found that some of it could be painful to listen to, because every minor imperfection just jumped out at the listener. During Mass itself, people aren't nearly so critical.
  • Music library uses colored file folders to store pieces specific to the following seasons:

Blue: Advent
    Orange: Christmas*
    Purple: Lent
    Red: Holy Week
    Yellow: Easter
    Green: Ordinary Time
    Natural: uncategorized

*Only because we haven't yet bought the white file folders.
  • Good point Carl, I should take the time to do this as well! I too thought of doing something like that Aristotle, thanks! This is great so far, any others?
  • A trick I learned from John Romeri- I make the choir a booklet with everything, propers, ordinary, credo, motets in sequence for each Sunday or Feast Day. I can't believe how much time it saves both at rehearsals & warm-ups. It's a lot of work, but well worth it.
    No one ever complains about forgetting their Gregorian Missal or octavos etc. It is great to have the resources of CMAA, CPDL, CCW. Petrucci, etc. All I have to do is state the Sunday, the page, we're ready. I try to work 4-6 weeks/liturgies ahead.
  • BenBen
    Samuel,

I don't direct any regular choirs, but whenever I do retreats or similar events, I do the same thing. Makes things very simple. Bring your binder to rehearsal, and you're set.
  • joerg
    We mostly do concerts, we rarely sing liturgies. But for all our concerts and liturgies I typeset all the music myself using MTX/PMX/MusixTeX. Then I pack it all into one PDF adding a coloured front page and give it to my copy shop to print it and bind it. It's not cheap and it's a lot of work, but it's very efficient and people love the collection of music they assemble over time. Currently I'm typesetting an entire little opera (La Dafne by Ottavio Rinuccini, music by Marco da Gagliano) which will be our next concert.
  • jpal
    Some thoughts about what helps me...in no particular order

Singers can see music well ahead of time through music lists (including PDFs and, in many cases, audio files) -- such as this one for Pentecost -- posted on the parish web site. A few days before rehearsal I also post a detailed rehearsal order which helps people prepare; I don't necessarily follow it very strictly, but it helps me stay organized.

Every singer has a box and is assigned a number. Their music packet for any given Sunday is placed in their box at least two weeks in advance (choral pieces go out individually earlier than that) by my administrative assistant. Each singer writes his/her box number in the upper-right hand corner of each piece of music so that when we sing it again, they get their markings. 99% of what we sing is downloaded off the internet or photocopied from a book (without violating copyright, of course), so singers organize their music in three-ring binders.

After a choir sings a Mass, all music proper to that Mass is returned and filed by my admin assistant.

On the piano is a box with sharpened pencils, with a sign on it that says "PLEASE TAKE A PENCIL."

In the back of the office we have a little "lounge" area, with Ikea furniture (a small couch, a chair, and a coffee table) with a mini-fridge and food cabinet. At every rehearsal there is plenty of water, coffee, snacks of all sorts, cough drops, etc. There is a long break at every rehearsal for social time. This is an important part of what keeps people coming back in our choirs.

A bulletin board by the door has choir/music-related cartoons, clippings from newspapers about music-related news, posters announcing performances that choir members are involved in, and other stuff.

My music library is still being created, but it is basically in five sections: (1) liturgical year, containing propers; (2) hymns; (3) choral music (i.e. polyphonic motets/anthems); (4) chants not fitting in any of the above categories; (5) organ music.

Something I have begun doing as of this past Advent is that when I prepare a music list (with all the PDFs and recordings, etc), I go ahead and create the music list for the same Sunday/feast the following year. Then when that feast comes around, I only need to do minor tweaking to prepare it rather than start from scratch.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    This is so inspiring, jpal! A marvel of efficiency and I love the fact that you include time for fun and socializing (and food!) We have such a small choir that we often have our rehearsals at each other's houses and include dinner. It's a lot of work for the host family, but it does build camaraderie and a sense of "family."
    Thanked by 1jpal
  • jpal
    Personally, I am the model of disorganization and incoherence. It's primarily my wife and my administrative assistant who are the brains behind the system I described. ;-) The previous system was melee.
    Thanked by 2Gavin ContraBombarde
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    LOL! Sounds like you have the classic "artistic temperament."
    Thanked by 1jpal
  • elizmullen
    Wow, this is a great post and jpal, your ideas are wonderful! I will surely take a lot of those great suggestions for our next choir season! We seem to be pretty dull as well by most standards so any extra 'spice' is always welcomed!
    Thanked by 1jpal
  • chonakchonak
    The organizational tactics recommended are very valuable. There are plenty of fine people out there in parish choirs who (simply due to the variety of human temperaments) have little to no ability to organize printed materials for later reference. You can save them and yourself a lot of time by finessing that problem.

• elaine60elaine60
    One thing I have always wanted all music to be is 3-ring binder holed punched. From the hymn book to octavos in order same idea as above. This is extremely helpful for choir memebers young and old.
  • Carl DCarl D
    One other thing I did with my schola was to print the ordinaries on colored paper, and the other changing things on white. This served 2 purposes: (1) when we changed out music for the upcoming Mass, it was easy to see which pages to save. More interesting, I found that (2) it made it easier to find the correct page during practice or during Mass, because there was an immediate pattern to the colors - no rounds of people flipping through their books for 30 seconds.

Super simple, but useful.
  • canadashcanadash
    I've printed the ordinaries on coloured paper too. This is very helpful. We have three for the year and they are printed on yellow, purple and green paper (8.5/10) sheets which is folded in half, like a little pamphlet. I put everything on it for the season that year, which repeats every week. I can't stress how it's made things handy!

I have a binder for everyone in the choir. Each binder is to have alphabetical page separators. There is to be a page protector for each letter of the alphabet and the octavos go in there in alphabetical order according to title. I dislike hole punching because the holes rip and then the music falls out.

I think I will also give everyone a simple folder where the music we are learning for the next few weeks can be kept. This way people aren't always flipping through a huge binder all the time.
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Great idea @ color-coded ordinaries! Transparent sheet protectors are nice, too, to keep the three holes from getting ripped and the pages neat. Wal-Mart has them for a fairly reasonable price, but they are an investment.
  • Carl DCarl D
    Page protectors are wonderful until you need to mark the music. They can also add considerable weight.
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • BenBen
    I've found page protectors work well for Mass, but not for rehearsals. If I use them, I put them in after the last rehearsal before Mass.
  • G
    Not regarding choir music per se, but some of the best money ever spent from my discretionary funds was to head to the Dollar Store and buy a dozen or so pairs of reading glasses, various strengths and sizes, and leave them in a box on the console.

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
    Thanked by 1Kathy
  • Ralph BednarzRalph Bednarz
    FIles are on-line, PDF's. with Youtube links.
    Section A-Ordinaries
    B - Choir Only
    C - Congregations and Choir
    D- Lent and Easter
    X- Advent and Christmas
    black binders, with protectors so we do not hole punch the copies.
  • canadashcanadash
    The page protectors only hold the music. Choristers take the music out of them when we are rehearsing or singing. The members have all their music all the time. I don't pass out the music then collect, then pass it out, then collect.... I don't have children or a husband who would want to be my assistants (yet!)
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    Sounds like all of you have some great ideas! Being new at this, I haven't had the time to develop anything really creative. Our choir is small, and everyone already has their own binders that they put things in. The music room is attached to the choir loft (I call it a music room, but it's really more of a music storage room), and that is where we keep all of the sheet music, choir books, etc. We didn't have choir books until this year when I asked the parish to invest in them, and we still use a disposable music issue for the pews. In the storage room, most of the sheet music is stored in two crates: one for Christmas and Easter, and the other is for general and Eucharistic music, mostly stuff that gets sung during the ablutions. We make binders only for the Christmas choir.
  • canadashcanadash
    Check out "The Catholic Choir Book" if you are new to music. It is online and it is free and has much of the Catholic traditional music you will need for years. (Sorry, this is not about storage, but I wish I knew about it much earlier!)