Revised Grail Psalter / Liturgiam Authenticam
  • Friends,

Can anybody explain how the current ownership of the Revised Grail Psalter is allowed in light of Paragraph 117 of Liturgiam Authenticam ?
    117. The rights of publication and the copyright for all translations of liturgical books, or at least the rights in civil law necessary for exercising complete liberty in publishing or correcting texts, is to remain with the Conferences of Bishops or their national liturgical Commissions. The same body shall possess the right of taking any measures necessary to prevent or correct any improper use of the texts.
  • awruff
    I suspect application of this will vary widely from country to country. The Austrians and Germans are about to release their official hymnal, and because it is canonically an official book, it is approved by bishops and requires submission to Rome for recognitio. It will of course be packed with hymns and service music copyrighted by lots of different publishing houses. The same would be true of the national collection for Italy (I don't have it at hand at the moment), the official repertoire of hymns for Mass which also received the recognitio from Rome.
    awr
  • I would still like to know the answer to my question.

P.S.

Regarding "hymnals," I doubt most people would consider hymnals under the category of "all translations of liturgical books." For example, hymn texts that are original compositions would not need translation. But surely the Official English Translation of the Psalter for Mass & Divine Office would fall under the heading of "translations of liturgical books." In any event, I have no interest in debating that point. I am just curious if anybody knows the answer to my question.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    JoPo: The rules say X, and yet the bishops have allowed Y to happen. Can anyone explain this to me?

The Bishops: whateva, whateva, we do what we want.
    Thanked by 1Andrew Motyka
  • chonakchonak
    From the comments I've read elsewhere on the net, the bishops chose to submit the Revised Grail Psalter for approval by the Holy See despite its separate ownership because it preserves much of the language of the 1963 Grail edition. That edition was used in (many? most? all?) English editions of the Liturgy of the Hours, so it is well familiar to priests and religious who pray the Liturgy of the Hours daily.