need help proposing a contract
  • I have asked both my son (our parish organist) and myself (choir director) be issued contracts before the new choir season begins in August. We have been working at our parish for two years without contracts and there have been several (painful) issues that have come up during that time which I think could and should be addressed with a simple contract. We have a small parish with one sung Mass per week. Where would I look for help in preparing contracts for us to propose?

Thanks!

Kathy
  • melofluentmelofluent
    TM24, I had to write my own contract when I retired from public school to go FT at the parish in ought five. It will in no ways help or hinder whatever duties or expectations, opinions or attacks that will come your way as you go your way. We all serve, if paid, at someone's pleasure.
  • melofluent, Sorry, I misread your post. I see your point now.
  • CharlesW
    List the duties you will be expected to perform, such as the Sunday mass you will play/sing, Holy Days, special events, etc. If it applies, you may want to list procedures for weddings and funerals, too. Salaries can be written into contracts, but not everyone does that. The chain of supervision is good to have in writing. Vacation time - how many Sundays off you will get a year. How will they be covered? Melo is correct in his implication that contracts are often not worth much, since most musicians can be dismissed at will.
    Thanked by 1teachermom24
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    There's a sample contract/template here: http://www.npm.org/Sections/images/DMMDSalaryGuidelines.pdf

In the same week, I have seriously discussed liturgical miming and linked to NPM--what is happening?!
  • I have to agree with melo and charlesw, most Catholic churches that I have had experiences with, could care less if you had a contract or not. In many instances, such as the state I live in, it is a "at will" work state, meaning an employer can just terminate you with no cause. It really stinks, because it isn't right, and yet most get away with it. They only time an employer is reluctant to dismiss here in this state, is if there is a workman's comp claim, evidence of discriminatory conduct (though this seldom goes anywhere these days), or some other Equal Employment Opportunity violation. I have had friends with contracts terminated without cause. The headache to fight it, along with the money to sue, makes it cost prohibitive.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    No, TM, by all means get a contract. At the least your duties will be articulated. Just don't mistake it for protection of your job if problems arise. Blessings.
  • Yes, that is all I am looking for so maybe it's more a "job description" than contract. I hope it will help clarify matters instead of relying on assumptions. Maybe that's wishful thinking but hopefully we can address a couple of trouble spots. I want to assume ignorance at this point, rather than ill-will, and would like to believe all parties want to do what is best for the parish and the Church.
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    I would second the job description vs. contract. One clear advantage for the musician to working without a contract is you can walk away whenever you want to for a better job etc.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    TM, no need for apology at all. In fact, I'm going to remind myself of this reality: there have been so many times over 43 years, even recently, I've come to the razor's edge of "walking away from the job" because of the politicking and calumny that seems to attend working in a parish. And every time I'm in that space, I have to remember that what or whomever has prompted me to that minor despair, there are still hundreds of people who depend upon my presence in the program, and want what I bring to the job to remain. A contract does codify that reality. For every attack sheep, there are likely 10 shepherds in house, and One who carries a big staff! Yahoo.
    Thanked by 1teachermom24
  • GavinGavin
    Always get a contract. Does the AGO have a model contract, still? Also, get a lawyer to review it.

How does the parish feel about this? I think people are often uncomfortable with contracts, but I would stress to them that this is as much for their protection as for yours.

When I had paid singers, I would present them with a "memorandum of understanding." It just said you understand what your duties are, what I expect, and what happens if you don't fulfill obligations. I never had a lawyer examine it, because I didn't expect it to be something that would have to hold up in court or whatever, but my singers really appreciated the clarity of expectations I gave them.
    Thanked by 1teachermom24
  • GavinGavin
    In my experience, there's really no major negotiation to be done with a contract. I think most people just enjoy feeling safer with one. But if you have to negotiate....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6u8AgUXPpLM
  • Does the AGO have a model contract, still? Yes, found it--very helpful.
  • Clear definition of who you are responsible to and a covenant with the staff right out of When Sheep Attack.

Dennis Maynard told me last week a new edition is coming out that includes a section on...church musicians.
    Thanked by 1teachermom24
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Frogman! On the job. On the edge. On the case.
    Take a note, young Turks ( you know who y'are, Yanke, JMO, and yer lot,) in the immortal paraphrase of BC Comic writer Johnny Hart,
    "Geezers got game."
  • BenBen
    "Geezers got game"

From now on, I will begin interjecting that phrase randomly into threads.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Sample working agreement:

------------

Name of Employee: ______________
    Name of Employer: ______________
    Duties: Do everything that is ever asked of you.
    Including: Employee agrees to sacrifice his/her life and all outside commitments to fulfill his/her role at the parish.
    Salary: Lotsa money, please.
    Term of Contract: meh, we'll see.
    Musician's Signature: _____________
    Pastor's Signature (in stamped form): ______________
  • Where I think it's easy to get off track is forgetting whom I ultimately work for, not the shepherd of the parish, but The Shepherd of us all. Thank you, melofluent, for that reminder. This whole matter is much clearer for me now.