For Sale: OCP Choral Praise Comprehensive
  • Aaron
    For Sale: I have 80 copies of OCP Choral Praise Comprehensive second edition (burgundy cover) without readings. Purchased new November 2010. Used for only a few months. Price negotiable.
  • Are they suitable as fire starter?
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Out of courtesy to Aaron, these books like the pulp missals, do still contain the Word and other holy scriptures. Could we make that distinction regardless of their origin? Thanks.
    Thanked by 2Spriggo Choirparts
  • gregpgregp
    I concur with Melo - back before I discovered CMAA, the CPC 2d edition allowed me to do something with the choir other than sing the melodies of hymns all the time. Some of the 4 part arrangements are quite good.
  • francis
    There is nothing wrong with burning them. That is how we obtain ashes for Ash Wednesday, by burning the old (blessed) palms. Just make sure to burry the ashes in the ground so it will fertilize new trees with which we can make new books of Gregorian Chant.
  • Aaron
    Perhaps if you bought them from me, then I could have the funds to purchase the Parish Book of Chant (2nd edition).
    Thanked by 2marajoy canadash
  • Aaron,

I meant no offense to you.

Since I have just come into a large number of books--- new to me, but not, as a rule, new in an absolute sense -- I need to relocate some or all of them, and I'm loathe to burn or throw away any of them. As a man with a love of history, I think there is value in keeping some of these othewise worthless books around for the purpose of noting the folly of the age.

On the other hand, merely having the words of Holy Writ in them..... does this mean that they are worth preserving? Aren't there any number of books which quote Scripture but which aren't worth preserving? (One thinks of the legion of heretical books which quote Scripture to this effect: "Cain killed his brother Abel.....Go thou and do likewise").

Cheers,

Chris
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    "Cain killed his brother Abel.....Go thou and do likewise"

LOL -- I don't think I've encountered that one before!
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • ls176
    Hi Aaron - I don't suppose those books are still available, are they?
  • Aaron
    Yes, I sent you a pm.
  • gloriar
    Hi Aaron- would you be willing to sell 5 books?
  • ChoirpartsChoirparts
    Regarding the tone of this thread about OCP books ..... I'm sure CMAA members are above that kind of "trash talk".
  • francis
    I don't believe this forum specifically represents the thoughts, beliefs, strengths or weaknesses of the CMAA (as far as I am aware). Many people comment here, including Catholics and non-Catholics, atheists and even professed heretics.
    Thanked by 1Choirparts
  • ChoirpartsChoirparts
    Ah yes.. inclusive, rather than exclusive. Good point. Hopefully we can win over the atheists and professed heretics.
  • ronkrisman
    Many people comment here, including Catholics and non-Catholics, atheists and even professed heretics.

Is CMAA conspiracy!
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Iss outrage! Must secede, haff referendoom!
  • Kathy
    I wonder what the next fad will be. For awhile, hymnals were "comprehensive." Next what? An intriguing thought...
  • francis
    ronkisman:

Actually if you do a search on the word heretic on the forum, you will probably find them!
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I wonder what the next fad will be. For awhile, hymnals were "comprehensive." Next what?

"Oddly Specific"

Thanked by 1Andrew Motyka
  • Kathy
    The Praise and Glory Narrow-Spectrum Hymnal, Revised Edition
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Jenny
  • Kathy
    The Rejoice and Sing! With None of That Old Dead White Guys Garbage Hymnal, 3rd Edition
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Jenny
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Ancient and Modern Hymns That Scrupulously Avoid G#

Chants and Antiphons Found in At Least 5, but no more than 7, Medieval Sources

Eucharistic Hymns written between 1970 and 1985 which suggest, but never explicitly state, heretical ideas

Songs In Which Each Verse Begins With The Same Word, but that word is never "the"
  • CharlesW
    I always liked Gather Reprehensive.
    Thanked by 2Ben CHGiffen
  • BenBen
    Yes, it makes great kindling.
    Thanked by 2CharlesW CHGiffen
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Today's Hym- and Her-nal, with no gender bias
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    This is why progressive music school require students to take hymnology and hermeneutics in the same semester.
  • Aaron
    I was excited to see all the flurry of postings on my book sale. I wish a couple of those participating in this discussion would actually purchase a few books. I still have about ten remaining.
  • francis
    Aaron... dip them in parafin and sell them as fire starters. You can still make money that way, it will keep people warm, the world will suffer less drek, and the holy words will not suffer a sacreligious act of being thrown in the trash. Its a win, win, win, win!
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Given the age of the thread, I assumed they were all gone.
    What's your asking price?
  • G

Hey, I'd buy that... (my old Church had recurring ciphers, and my grand at home has a wonky a flat I can't afford to repair.)

Save the Liturgy, Save the World!
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood

Hey, I'd buy that... (my old Church had recurring ciphers, and my grand at home has a wonky a flat I can't afford to repair.)

Sorry. This hymnal includes a lot of A flats. More than usual, actually. Just no G sharps.
  • francis
    G:

As a piano tech I can recommend a couple of quick fixes for wonky notes on a piano.

1. Your treble strings come in sets of three for each note. Using a small piece of felt, you can permanently mute the offending string as usually it is one of the three. If its an outside string, you will mute one string of the note next to it also. You can use a wedge of rubber too, but the felt will better stay in place.

2. For this one you will need a tuning hammer and a regular hammer. Using regular hammer, GENTLY tap offending notes tuning pin into hole a little further. Do not hit hard. Tap maybe five times and then tune to see if there is enough torque to hold it in place.
  • Aaron
    $7.00 each plus shipping (media mail is pretty cheap)
  • Kathy
    This has been done once or twice, actually: Eucharistic Hymns written between 1970 and 1985 which suggest, but never explicitly state, heretical ideas
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • Aaron
    All remaining books have been sold.