Books: Liturgy and Music
  • Do you know any good books one can read about Liturgy and Music? I stubbled across "THE LITURGICAL MUSIC ANSWER BOOK" and made me wonder if anyone on here recommend any good books on the subject?
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    Good...
    Sacred Music and Liturgical Reform -Anthony Ruff
    From Sacred Song to Ritual Music - Jan Michael Joncas

Better...
    Why Catholics Can't Sing -Thomas Day
    Sing Like a Catholic -Jeffrey Tucker
    Liturgy and Music -Robin Leaver, Joyce Ann Zimmer, ed.
    Mass Confusion/Mass Revision James Akin

Best...
    The Spirit of the Liturgy --Joseph Ratzinger
    The Musical Shape of the Liturgy --William Mahrt

OK don't judge me. Just a little bit of humour with the Good, Better Best bit. All are worth reading. All are on my shelf (though I haven't read all of them cover to cover yet).

In addition to books, of course there are all the official church documents on music and liturgy which should also be read. Most of which can be downloaded from the CMMA website.

I'd be interested in knowing of other recommended titles as well.

• melofluentmelofluent
    I have and've read (in most cases twice) each of Earl's fine list. TL, if I wanted to be "up to speed" practically as soon as possible I'd sequence them thusly:

Preparation
    1.Sing Like a Catholic -Jeffrey Tucker
    2.Why Catholics Can't Sing -Thomas Day

Philosophy
    3. The Spirit of the Liturgy --Joseph Ratzinger
    4.The Musical Shape of the Liturgy --William Mahrt

Practicality
    5.Liturgy and Music -Robin Leaver, Joyce Ann Zimmer, ed.
    6. Mass Confusion/Mass Revision James Akin (deals w/ much more than music)

Historical/Documentation
    7. From Sacred Song to Ritual Music - Jan Michael Joncas (before Ruff for brevity)
    8. Sacred Music and Liturgical Reform -Anthony Ruff (I still think this is a must-read, even tho' Ruff freely admits he doesn't recognize certain heirarchies as authoritative.)
    9. The Christian West and Its Singers: The First Thousand Years - Christopher Page

On your bookmarked websites:
    From the Vatican:
    MP 1903 Tra le sollecitudine
    Musicam Sacram
    Constitution on the Sacred Liturgy
    General Instruction on the Roman Missal (2010 ed.)
    Inestimabile Donum

Reference:
    Roman Missal (OF) 2010
    Ceremonies of the Modern Roman Rite -Peter Elliott

• SalieriSalieri
    Another great reference book is Peter Elliott's Ceremonies of the Liturgical Year

A book I'd put under Melo's Philosophy category is Dom Saulnier's Gregorian Chant : A Guide to the History and Liturgy (Trans. Dr Mary Berry, published by Paraclete Press)

There are also many wonderful articles in Sacred Music which can be viewed here: http://musicasacra.com/sacred-music/
  • chonakchonak
    Susan Benofy's series of five articles, "Buried Treasure", on the Adoremus site, is a guided tour of the 20th-century music documents.