Holy Ghost chant missing verses
  • expeditus1
    For our EF Confirmation, we did a chant to the Holy Ghost, "Qui Procedis." Our copy had 18 verses, but I saw a different copy of text only, that had an additional 8 or so verses. Does anyone have access to the complete version? Our final 2 verses were: "O juvamen oppressorum, O solamen miserorum, Pauperum refugium, Da contemptum terrenorum, ad amorem supernorum trahe desiderium!"

Here are the additional verses that I am missing the chant notation for (excuse my mistakes with capitalization):

"Consolator et fundator, Habitator et amator cordium humilium, Pelle mala, terge sordes, et discordes fac concordes, et affer praesidium.

Tu qui quondam visitasti, Docuisti, confortasti timentes discipulos, visitare nos digneris; Nos, si placet, consoleris et credentes populos.

Par majestas personarum, Par potestas est earum, et communis Deitas: Tu, procedens a duobus, coaequalis es ambobus; In nullo disparitas.

Quia tantus es et talis quantus Pater est et qualis; Servorum humilitas Deo Patri, Filioque Redemptori, tibi quoque laudes reddat debitas. Amen."
  • tomjaw
    The "Qui Procedis" is a Sequence of Adam of St Victor, it was written / used for Pentecost Tuesday.

For some strange reason these last verses are omitted from modern editions, such as Liber Antiphonarius, 1949, etc.

The full music can be found here (below link), with all the other sequences!

Les Proses d'Adam de Saint-Victor: Texte et Musique, by E. Misset and Pierre Aubry. As this was published in 1900, http://www.archive.org/details/lesprosesdadamd00aubrgoog

N.B. Note the clef changes, so the music always fits on the stave. Also the Latin text is abbreviated in places, with unusual spellings.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    That is an awesome collection. I wish it was in a more user-friendly edition.
  • expeditus1
    Thank you, tomjaw. Exactly what I was looking for! Can't wait to try some of the others.
  • tomjaw
    I have re-typeset several of these Sequences, I hope to set all of them eventually, in a more user friendly edition, ie. with no clef position changes, and the Latin written with the 'modern' spellings as found in the Liber etc.

Metrical translations in English are also available for these Sequences.
    Thanked by 2Adam Wood CHGiffen
  • tomjaw
    References to the book of Translations, and to another book of sequences can be found in this thread, it also includes one of the sequences I have re-typeset.

http://forum.musicasacra.com/forum/discussion/8109/sequence-for-ascension/p1