Can the Gradual be sung in English in the OF?
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    The GIRM states about the Introit:

...the antiphon with its Psalm from the Graduale Romanum as set to music there or in another setting...

and about the Communion:

...the antiphon with its Psalm from the Graduale Romanum, as set to music there or in another musical setting...

But about the Responsorial Psalm/Gradual:

...there may be sung ... the Responsorial Gradual from the Graduale Romanum...

without "or in another musical setting."

This has led me to believe, perhaps incorrectly, that the Gradual can only replace the Responsorial Psalm if done in Latin as in the Graduale Romanum.

Thoughts?
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    In the OF, the Responsorial Psalm from the Lectionary is considered normative, with the Gradual as an option (due, I assume, to its pedigree and worth).

My opinion: It wouldn't really make sense to use something that would essentially be a replacement of a non-normative option.
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    My opinion: It wouldn't really make sense to use something that would essentially be a replacement of a non-normative option.

Sort of my interpretation of the rubric, as well.
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    ...there may be sung ... the Responsorial Gradual from the Graduale Romanum...

Another thought... notice it is called the "Responsorial Gradual" in the rubric... which seems to imply that if it is done, it is to be done with the "respond" repeated after the verse - unlike typical EF custom.
  • ClemensRomanusClemensRomanus
    We do it in English. Is it allowed? Good question.
  • SkirpR,

Do I correctly understand that your (very strict) reading of the GIRM implies that only the exact setting in the Graduale Romanum can be sung?

So, for instance, the Chants Abrégés by Solesmes, the simplified settings by Richard Rice, and all polyphonic settings would be forbidden?

Is that the way you are reading it?

(I am asking in a serious way. I am not trying to be a jerk.)
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    This is (of course) only my understanding, but:

1. "Forbidden" is such a harsh word, but
    2. More or less, I would say that's the intention.
    3. Regarding the phrase "Responsorial Gradual," there is plenty of evidence (explored at length on this forum) that the writers of these instructions had no idea what they were talking about. I wouldn't take the modifier "responsorial" to have any particular value here.
    4. Due to the underlying symptom mentioned in (3), and the general principle mentioned in (1), I wouldn't get too upset about polyphonic settings.

• RobertRobert
    Like Adam, this is only my understanding, which doesn't mean much, but:

I think that it is reasonable to say that the GIRM does not foresee the use of a polyphonic setting of the Gradual. The Responsorial psalm, for better or for worse, is clearly intended to be the normal practice, but in deference to tradition and the "pride of place" ("first place"?) Gregorian chant occupies as recognized by the Council, the Gregorian gradual is allowed as another option.

Having said that, a polyphonic gradual is still in the spirit of the Gradual as a meditative, elaborate interlectionary psalm and it might be overly legalistic to say that the GIRM forbids it.

The "chants abrege" Graduals are another matter. The function of these compositions is to allow choirs who cannot manage the Gradual to fulfill the requirement in the EF to sing the text. It is not overly legalistic, I think, to say that this is not only not foreseen by the GIRM but is totally contrary to what it intends. If the choir cannot manage the real Gradual, then there is no reason to sing the Gradual text, and we should go back to the first option, the Responsorial Psalm.

Otherwise, an opportunity for congregational participation (very important consideration guiding the choices in the OF - cf. Sacrosanctum Concilium 14) is made subordinate to favouring a traditional interlectionary *text* rather than the lectionary text. We may wish that things had been done differently and that the Gradual texts had been preserved between the readings for the responsorial psalm in the interests of continuity- I do. Laszlo Dobszay showed in his Graduale Parvum how this might have been done (while also satisfying the desire for congregational participation) and even obtained special permission from the bishop's conference to do this in an offical Hungarian hymnal.

As it stands however, "abridged" graduals and Rossini psalm tone graduals seem to me to be too much of a stretch to maintain that they are permitted by the GIRM, unless we want to concede that all manner of things are permitted by the GIRM and anything goes up to and including "Turn, turn, turn" by the Byrds, etc...
  • quilisma
    Don't forget the option to sing from the Simplex....(if anyone understands how to use it, that is!)

Loco psalmi in lectionario assignati cani potest etiam vel responsorium gra-
    duale e Graduali romano, vel psalmus responsorius aut alleluiaticus e Graduali
    simplici
    , sicut in his libris describuntur.

Regarding the possibility of a polyphonic setting, it depends on how strict your interpretation of "as described in these books" is.

I agree with the jettisoning of the Chants abregés. We did use them once or twice, but then I said to myself, what's the point - if we can't sing the genuine gradual, then better sing the psalm.
  • Please see below.
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    Basically, I think if you can't manage to do the Gradual as it is in the Graduale Romanum, you should do a Responsorial Psalm. It seems to be the first preference anyway, and almost any Responsorial Psalm setting I've seen is easier than any Gradual from the Graduale Romanum in the first place.

The idea of a simpler setting of the Gradual and/or one in English seems to me to be a contrived way to get the Gradual "back into" the OF Mass - where it doesn't seem intended - unless you were doing an honored and traditional chant from the Graduale.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I'm interested in what you have to say, PoJo- even (especially) if you disagree.

BTW:
    While I tend to think that in the OF the Psalm from the Lectionary is "normative" I would also say that- if you are doing all the other Propers from the Graduale, it would be particularly weird not to also sing the Gradual. I have nothing official to back that up other than a sense of liturgical gestalt. In that case- if you were (for example) doing a full set of polyphonic propers (does that even happen in the OF anywhere?), then also doing a polyphonic gradual seems to be the more appropriate than intruding with a "Responsorial Psalm." But that's just me.

A modicum of legalism is very prudent, but I strongly believe that the Church intends a certain amount of liberality in all this. FWIW: My personal opinion is that freedom and variety, within the bounds of legitimate tradition and appropriate solemnity, were a big part of B16's liturgical program.
  • Ambrosius
    A modicum of legalism is very prudent, but I strongly believe that the Church intends a certain amount of liberality in all this. FWIW: My personal opinion is that freedom and variety, within the bounds of legitimate tradition and appropriate solemnity, were a big part of B16's liturgical program.

Well said, Adam Wood. We oughtn't to be over-legalistic.
  • Andrew_Malton
    Yes, but it's not B16 now.

Ask the priest what he wants and do it, without comment. If he expresses no preference, recite the responsorial psalm from the lectionary, listen to the sermon, say the responses, receive Communion, and go out into the world where you, layman, have your real Christian work to do.
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    A few things...

First, my reason for posting this is not a personal attack on Jeff O. or his recent work, but seeing simple English settings of the gradual in there for the OF did make me think about posing the question here.

When I first started conducting a choir that sang all the propers out of the Graduale for OF Mass in 2007, I would, when opportune, replace the chant propers with polyphony, sometimes in the vernacular. In addition to the Introit, Communion, and Offertory, I did this with the Gradual as well on occasion.

When I return to that parish for Holy Week, we still do this on Holy Thursday (singing Jean Berger's setting of "The Eyes of All" for the Gradual "Oculi omnium"). Over time, however, in reading the GIRM and beginning to delve into liturgical issues, I began to believe that this was not the mind of the Church on this issue. Although I continue to program the Berger on Holy Thursday because it has become a bit of a custom, I would likely not do so if I had the chance to do it over again - all this for the reasons I stated in my first post above from the GIRM (and the instruction to the Lectionary, which I didn't cite), and as further expressed quite well by Adam.

Personally, if it were solely up to me, I would have no problem with the Gradual being sung in polyphony or chant in Latin or the vernacular in OF, but I'm trying to honestly ascertain the mind of the Church on this one, and frankly, I don't think I'm reading the GIRM any more strictly than we all do when we argue for the primacy of the propers over another suitable chant.

Another reason for me bringing this up is that in my doctoral essay on Joseph Willcox Jenkins, I cataloged a number of "Lesson Chants" he wrote in the 1960s - English settings of the Gradual/Tract and Alleluia for various Sundays of the EF calendar for organ and choir. I had assumed (again for all the reasons stated above) that these were now obsolete liturgically. I'm just curious what the full range of opinions are on relevant legislation.

So, please, Jeff, don't take this personally. I would welcome being convinced that my opinion is incorrect!
  • This question has me confused, an easy thing to do I am afraid. The Rossini propers are lovely as are their English counterparts. Wasn't the English version of the Rossini propers used by some parishes before Vatican II? I think doing a simpler version of the full contemplative chants is better than not doing them at all, the Mass is to be sung which I take it to mean the texts of the Mass. The best thing to do is the real thing and if it is programmed in for special occasions, I think most congregations which already have some Latin in their Mass would be open to having the full Latin chants occasionally. Teach them to the children's choir if you have one that is good enough or the ladies in the choir who are good enough singers and can blend or be led. The biggest problem I have heard is when the melismatic chants are performed poorly, ouch!
    One more consideration: The Vatican thought the texts of the Gradual, Alleluia and Tracts were important. If they had not believed these texts were important I doubt we would have the Graduale Romanum today. Maybe I am wrong but Solesmes re-ordered the contemplative chants so they could be used in the OF and that is a major indication to me that the texts should be sung. The Haec Dies goes way back, maybe even to the 2nd century, but I doubt when sung in Jerusalem or Antioch that it sounded like the more modern Gregorian Chant. There... I called Gregorian Chant modern!
    The tradition is to sing the texts of the Mass whether as a Resposorial Psalm which uses the proper psalm, a simpler version of the Gradual or the real deal.

Thanked by 1jpal
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    If they had not believed these texts were important I doubt we would have the Graduale Romanum today. Maybe I am wrong but Solesmes re-ordered the contemplative chants so they could be used in the OF and that is a major indication to me that the texts should be sung.

Well, you said it yourself. Solesmes (actually the Vatican through the Ordo Cantus Missae) re-ordered the contemplative chants to be sung. They did not reorder merely the texts themselves - but the "chants." Those who organized the new Lectionary inserted the Responsorial Psalm texts - as a simpler alternative to the Gradual. Its text typically corresponds much more closely with the First Reading than the Gradual - because the Gradual has to be chosen from the corpus of chant already in existence.

I have the highest respect for the Graduals as textual/musical compositions in their original Gregorian forms - but why would we want to replace something that was envisioned to follow the First Reading so closely, textually speaking, with a simplified musical composition setting another text without the musical richness.

In other words, the beauty - dare I say usefulness - of the Gradual seems to me to lie in the joint musical/textual composition of the chant as something meditative. If you can't accomplish that - and I agree with you -

The biggest problem I have heard is when the melismatic chants are performed poorly, ouch!

- then just do the Responsorial Psalm! Particularly do one that's chant-based, and use psalmtones for the verses! But why do a psalmtone version of the Gradual? In the OF, that seems to accomplish about as much as ringing a bell and shouting... "the Responsorial Psalm should have never been invented."
  • jpal
    I have to admit I'm pretty perplexed at the rigorous demand that a certain text must be sung to a particular musical setting, particularly when it seems that it would be the only instance where this is the case. Even the musical settings in the Missal itself are but suggestions and may be replaced with more or less complicated settings as appropriate.
    the beauty - dare I say usefulness - of the Gradual seems to me to lie in the joint musical/textual composition of the chant as something meditative.

How long does it have to be -- and how melismatic should it be -- for it to be beautiful and meditative? A short chant can be meditative. A syllabic chant can be meditative. Is this gradual meditative enough? How about this tract?
    then just do the Responsorial Psalm!

Some perspective from a practical level would be helpful here. This is taken from Jeff's blog post introducing the Lalemant propers:
    However, those attempting to introduce the Mass Propers at their parishes realize absolute consistency is necessary. Therefore, what happens when a cantor gets sick or there is not adequate time for the choir to learn a chant from the Graduale Romanum or Simple English Propers? Or what about circumstances where a choir is not present, such as a 7:00am Sunday Mass, or (perhaps) a special Holy Day? What about the summer months, when some choirs do not meet? If the Propers are simply omitted, this causes considerable confusion for the congregation, which was previously told that each Mass has special Propers which ought to be sung. We know very well that the Liturgy is complex and must not constantly switch back and forth with changing texts, practices, and musical choices. Constant changes are quite disruptive to Liturgical prayer.

There are plenty of great comments in this discussion about the nature of the gradual, how it is intended for meditation on the text, how the melismatic form contributes to this, etc. But I do not see how that commentary translates to liturgical legislation.
    Thanked by 1Ruth Lapeyre
  • chonakchonak
    Can anyone clarify how much of a role Solesmes played in re-ordering the chants for the revised Missal? The 1974 Graduale is based on the re-ordering published in Ordo Cantus Missae (1972) by the Congregation for Divine Worship. I can't tell whether CDW did all the re-assignment of chants to celebrations itself, or whether there was a consultation with Solesmes about it.
    Thanked by 1SkirpR
  • BGP
    that seems to accomplish about as much as ringing a bell and shouting... "the Responsorial Psalm should have never been invented."

And with that quip, SkipR, you just made a case for doing it.

(lest anyone get upset this is intended to humorus)
    Thanked by 1SkirpR
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    Okay, maybe I've been going overboard here, but let me try putting it one final way:

Depsite the different texts, isn't the Responsorial Psalm by its nature intended to be the simplified version of the Gradual?

In terms of confusing the congregation, the fact the Responsorial Psalm and Gradual use different texts just has to be accepted. It's confusing, but none of that's our fault - and none of us is going to clear up that confusion - and I feel all the introduction of a weekly psalmtone Gradual in the OF does is add to the confusion for a congregation.

I can buy the emergency exception of using a psalmtone setting of the gradual if the congregation is used to hearing a more ornate version, but I'm afraid people will be thinking they *should* be doing psalmtone versions of the Gradual instead of psalmtone versions of the Responsorial Psalm - which I definitely don't agree with.

The choice of doing a Resposorial Psalm or a Gradual is a tough one, and obviously one that will be different from parish to parish - but I'm just here arguing a bit *for* the Responsorial Psalm. The Gradual isn't "better" just because it's been around longer. In fact, I *personally* feel that unless you can do a non-utilitarian setting of the Gradual, the Responsorial Psalm is probably the better choice - since basically its nature *is* more utilitarian.

Again, I'd love to be proved wrong, but I feel like we're ignoring the documents we so often cite, just because it suits our viewpoint.
  • jpal
    In looking for an answer to chonak's question (which I did not find), I found an interesting statement about the responsorial psalm. I don't know if it is even relevant to this conversation, but it is still interesting.
    The text of the Graduale Romanum has not been changed as far as the music is concerned. In the interest of their being more readily understood, however, the responsorial psalm (which St. Augustine and St. Leo the Grat often mention) as well as the entrance and communion antiphons have been revised for use in masses that are not sung. [Paul VI, Apostolic Constitution Missale Romanum, approving the new Roman Missal, 3 April 1969, emphasis added]
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    nice jpal

That bolsters my opinion regarding the use of the Gradual in the case of a Mass wherein the other Propers are all sung.
    Thanked by 2SkirpR Ben
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    Don't have the time to look it up right now, but isn't there another document that says the Responsorial Psalm is intended/preferred to be sung? Maybe the Introduction to the Lectionary. If that's true, then its use cannot apply solely to "masses that are not sung." But, rather, perhaps that the Gradual is more apt for Masses that are entirely sung, as Adam suggests.
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • I take no position on the legality of singing the Gradual text in the vernacular at a modern Roman rite Mass. I do not understand, however, why so many proponents of good church music hold the responsorial psalm in contempt. Do they think it is a post-Conciliar novelty? It is no such thing. Writings of Saint Augustine indicate that in north Africa it was used in the Liturgy of the Word during the fourth century. Furthermore, African and Roman liturgical practice are believed to have been similar.

Although no conclusive evidence supports the belief that the Gregorian Graduals evolved from responsorial psalmody, much evidence suggests that it is correct. (See James McKinnon, The Advent Project.) While we do not know for sure that responsorial psalms were used in fourth century Rome, we have good reason to surmise that they were. The Gregorian Graduals are responsorial in structure. (Their musical integrity requires that the response be repeated after the verse.) It seems more than likely that as the music of the psalmody in the Liturgy of the Word grew more elaborate, the texts were abridged. By the time the Graduals were composed, only one verse of the psalm was retained.

We have been told for a long time that the Psalm in the Liturgy of the Word is a response to the lesson that precedes it, and GIRM describes it as such. Evidence that McKinnon gathered suggests, however, that in origin it was not a response but a lesson in its own right. When he examined myriad fourth century lectionaries, he found that no matter how many lessons they appointed, they never appointed more than one psalm. (Why would a response follow only one of several lessons?). The psalm appears originally to have been sung in directum by a soloist, and congregational refrains appear to have been added to it initially as a festival adornment.

A whole psalm is more edifying than a mere snippet. Just as the three-year lectionary has made worshippers familiar with much more of the Bible than they were formerly, the restoration of responsorial psalmody has made them familiar with much more of the psalter. Although I love the Gregorian graduals, I would not like to see them replace the responsorial psalm at most parish liturgies. (In religious houses where the offices are sung, there may be little need for a full psalm at most masses.)

On another note-- I am appalled by the suggestion that lay persons (and church musicians in particular) should leave all consideration of liturgical questions to the clergy.
  • Andrew_Malton
    Bruce, I am also appalled, but I think it's implicit in, if not intended by, Pope Francis's recent calls for the laity to reform and to take up our proper place in the world rather than the sanctuary. I think he thinks that for laymen to occupy themselves with the liturgy (altar serving, being a lector, greeting, were mentioned -- true, not performing sacred music) is akin to "disease".

I do rather wish to be wrong about this.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    And, hopefully this doesn't belabor my point too much...

While it is certainly worthwhile and important to attempt to seek out "the mind of the church" on liturgical matters, I believe it is incorrect to suggest that there is always, to every question, a definitive answer. "The Church" is not a single person with a single mind, nor is the Church a computer program or a formal mathematical system which is free of any logical inconsistencies. Legislation and directives and norms and examples and suggestions and guidelines of various types and with various amounts of legislative force or persuasive power have been piled on top of each other for nigh-on two millenia.

This is not an excuse for disobeying clearly stated liturgical law or discounting easily-understandable liturgical preferences. But we do need to understand we're dealing with a living, breathing tradition, and not a system of formal logic.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Andrew- I don't think that is what Francis was saying at all. From what I could tell, he seemed to be saying that we (lay people) should not believe that the ONLY or MOST IMPORTANT way to "actively participate" is to do liturgical things. He didn't say that those things shouldn't be done, or that lay people should not be doing them.
    Thanked by 2Ben CHGiffen
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I hesitate to contribute to this thread as "they" have weighed in over at the loyal opposition on this very topic via CCW post, with a requisite amount of gnashing of gums over the contention that missal/hymnal publishers are duty-bound to include graduals (tracts/alleluia verses, etc.) in their products. Ho-hum. More lofty ambitions and tower-talk.
    I prefer to keep sandals/boots on the ground. And then one must consider contextualization in the call for replacing the responsorial with the gradual (and the other Liturgy of Word propers one assumes as well.) Anyone who's attended a talk by Mahrt or read his recent book understands how he frames the purpose of the Roman AND Latin gradual of the day that presupposes either or both a monastic tradition or an enculturated congregation inwhich the musical nature of the melismatic verses serves as "wings" or prompts by which the congregation can more intensely meditate upon both the preceding lesson and the psalm antiphon itself. In Latin. Which works well.
    But I wonder, seriously doubt actually, if transferring the melismatic and lengthy musical "discourse" of a gradual verse in the VERNACULAR would be, in the end, detrimental to the overall objective of RotR in, again, vernacular languages. I can easily imagine tons of calls, emails and office visits even in my own parish (after 2 decades) complaining that: a. The fat guy took away our psalms (R&A) and we like them such as they are, we sing the snot out of them at all four parishes, and we LIKE THEM; and 2. Then he, like he needed to rub salt in that wound, takes 5 minutes to demonstrate his/her virtuosity in the chanting of syllables that now make it impossible for us to determine intelligibility of the texts. Sure we have our missals, we know what the Psalmist is chanting, but its like listening to water drops, or an address of the "Slow Singers of America! (apologies to Bob and Ray.) ; 3. BTW, do you want us to sing or doncha?
    Like a scratched LP recording that skips, I keep saying if "psalmists," real psalmists with learned or intuited great musical skills would only look at the verse settings, as banal as they may seem, by composers such as Alstott, they'd do the setting justice by modest, humble and undramatic improvisation of the given tones supported by the accompaniment. And that alternative, even if the antiphon were sung only twice (beginning and end) would be better than mimicing what is in the GR. YMMV.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I cannot imagine a circumstance in which singing the Gradual in English would be a good idea. Singing a Gradual in the vernacular to a Psalm-tone may be more dignified than some of the more undignified Responsorial Psalms (think of the ones in the front of some of the hymnals of years yonder)... but I certainly think some of the more dignified Responsorial Psalms by Oost-Zinner, Esguerra, Bartlett and/or Ostrowski would be a far better option.

The actual Gregorian Graduals, sung in their entirety, are a wonderful thing... I can't imagine the awe that is brought about by their full singing could ever be captured in a vernacular version.
    I agree that the gradual sung in Latin is best, however, I also think vernacular versions of the gradual such as the Plainchant Gradual work really well. They've worked for us, even when I've adapted them to the 1965 Missal texts.
  • BenBen
    Also, the American Gradual
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    STILL MY UNINFORMED OPINION

Assume you are singing all the "sung propers" from the Graduale, but in English- such as from the America Gradual or THE RECTO TONO PROPERS

I would think that if the cycle/collection of propers being used includes a setting of the Gradual, that it makes more sense to use it rather than not to.
    Thanked by 2Ben matthewj
  • matthewjmatthewj
    :) Capitalization. A+

Though I must say that my book, THE RECTO TONO PROPERS, includes both the Responsorial Psalm and the Gradual, so you'd have the option.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • BenBen
    Thanks, Matthew. Don't know what we'd do without YA. :)
  • chonakchonak
    Here's the Latin for the text which jpal quoted above (Pope Paul VI, Apostolic Constitution Missale Romanum 1969):
    Quod reliquum est, licet textus Gradualis Romani, ad cantum saltem quod attinet, nοn fuerit mutatus, tamen, facilioris intellectus gratia, sive Psalmus ille Responsorius, de quο S. Augustinus et S. Leo Magnus saepe commermorant, sive Antiphonae ad Introitum et ad Communionem in Missis lectis adhibendae, pro opportunitate, instaurata sunt.

It appears that the reference to "read Masses" refers to the introit and communion antiphons added to the Missal in 1969, but not to the responsorial psalm (although I wish it had been referring to both!)

+1 Adam
  • GavinGavin
    "I believe it is incorrect to suggest that there is always, to every question, a definitive answer."

Part of me wants to say "YES. THIS."

The other part of me would miss the forum if everyone here realized that.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • mahrt
    There is a problem in speaking of the "restoration" of the responsorial psalm. We have neither concrete texts nor melodies to give us any idea of what to restore. The practice of singing office psalmody for the responsorial psalm is misconceived. Office psalmody is ideal for a whole community to chant the entire psalter in the course of a week. Its purpose is to allow the individual worshipers to chant the text unselfconsciously. But surely a different manner of singing should be required when a soloist presents the text for the entire congregation to hear. But from a historical point of view, this is only theoretical, since we have no concrete examples of responsorial psalms before the graduals were notated.

Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • mahrt
    Someone asked whether anyone does a whole set of polyphonic propers. I have occasionally done so, singing all of the propers of Isaac's Choralis Constantinus for a day, singing those he did not set (gradual and offertory) in chant, with congregation singing the ordinary, and singing Byrd's setting from the Gradualia, again with the congregation singing the ordinary. The choir Cantores in Ecclesia in Portland regularly sing Byrd propers for several feasts.

Some years ago Kerry McCarthy organized a year's singing of Byrd's Gradualia, celebrating the twelve days for which Byrd provided complete propers. We sang one day with a Byrd ordinary and proper, but after that, concluded that it was just too much polyphony. The rest of the days, the congregation sang the ordinary. The propers were sung one-to-a-part, by capable singers. The Masses were celebrated in the Ordinary form, sung in Latin by a capable priest; most of them were celebrated at times that did not disrupt the usual Gregorian Mass for the day. She subsequently wrote a dissertation on liturgical and spiritual aspects of the Gradualia, and has just published a biography of Byrd in the Master Musicians series of Oxford University Press.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I remember JT blogging about a similar (or the same?) liturgy where the Ordinary was chanted by the congregation with Propers sung in polyphony - which is something of a switch from the more "usual" practice of a polyphonic Mass with Gregorian Propers.

It strikes me as a WONDERFUL approach- combining a very classical/traditional solemnity with a (I would call it) contemporary understanding of congregational participation in the singing of the Mass.

It's interesting that (other than for perhaps pastoral reasons) hardly anyone here would say that a fully chanted Mass had "too much chant," but you concluded that a fully polyphonic one (Ordinary + Proper) was "too much polyphony." Even when it's Byrd. (I have no conclusions to draw from that exactly... I just think it is interesting.)

=========

just published a biography of Byrd in the Master Musicians series of Oxford University Press

I'm sure I'm not the only one who was interested by that. Here it is...

http://www.amazon.com/Byrd-Master-Musicians-Kerry-McCarthy/dp/0195388755
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen tomjaw
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • I remember JT blogging about a similar (or the same?) liturgy where the Ordinary was chanted by the congregation with Propers sung in polyphony - which is something of a switch from the more "usual" practice of a polyphonic Mass with Gregorian Propers.

Isn't this what we did at the Colloquium in 2010, using the Gradualia and Gregorian ordinary?
    Thanked by 1gregp
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    That might have been the event he was blogging about. It was a long time ago (and I haven't yet been to a Colloquium).
  • svaillan
    In case anyone is taking a poll, we do, very occasionally sing the gradual in the vernacular for feasts, etc. at our 7am weekday masses. Most people attending that mass need to get to work and if there happens to be a gloria, creed, etc. it helps if we are able to shorten in other ways.
  • There is a problem in speaking of the "restoration" of the responsorial psalm. We have neither concrete texts nor melodies to give us any idea of what to restore. The practice of singing office psalmody for the responsorial psalm is misconceived. Office psalmody is ideal for a whole community to chant the entire psalter in the course of a week. Its purpose is to allow the individual worshipers to chant the text unselfconsciously. But surely a different manner of singing should be required when a soloist presents the text for the entire congregation to hear. But from a historical point of view, this is only theoretical, since we have no concrete examples of responsorial psalms before the graduals were notated.

This is absolutely correct. Thanks for reminding us of this!
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • With regard to singing the Gradual:

1. Speaking for myself, I find it absurd to imply that the Gradual can only be sung "exactly as it appears in the Graduale Romanum." For one thing, that stirs up a whole bunch of controversies already covered in other places, like whether it is allowed to use the Solesmes rhythm, which is often contrary to the Vatican rhythm. This has been treated for 100 years, going all the way back to Pothier's letter to the organist Widor.

2. Speaking for myself, I find it inconceivable that a polyphonic setting of the Gradual would be forbidden. The same with the Chants Abrégés of Solesmes (both versions of this book are allowed and perfectly licit). Remember that Solesmes has been (in essence) the Vatican publisher of chant since 1918. Remember that the Second Vatican Council specifically praised Polyphony and chant and said chant should hold "first place."

3. Speaking for myself, I find it totally unthinkable that a Psalm Tone setting or simplified setting of the Gradual would be forbidden. These are longstanding traditions that go back at least 140 years. I've read nothing to contradict them. Remember that the Bishops' Committee has said the GIRM is only a guideline that gives general norms for usual circumstances. I can find the precise quote somewhere. The GIRM assumes knowledge of common Catholic practice. It is not a technical document that spells out every possible circumstance. Again, it assumes knowledge of Catholic tradition. Like we said when I was the chief umpire, years ago: "The rules of baseball were written by gentlemen for gentlemen, not by lawyers for lawyers." (Although that phrase didn't help when it comes to defining a "balk" motion.)

4. I've read nothing in the GIRM that says the Gradual can only be sung in Latin and not any other language. This would seem to fly in the face of common praxis of the last 45 years.

5. Regarding the musical setting, it requires no approval if composed in the style of Gregorian chant, according to the Bishops' Committee. This has been stated in writing.

6. Regarding the text, the Gregorian Missal English text has been approved for liturgical use by several USA Bishops, is frequently used by major Cathedrals, and has a 1989 Imprimatur. The Bishops' Committee has stated in writing numerous times since 2006 that one Bishop's approval "counts for all" in this matter. That is how they interpret GIRM 48 and the Vatican is aware of this, according to the Bishops' Committee. This has been stated in writing.

7. I think it is worth noting that a major publishing company has already admitted that none of their Responsorial Psalms have their musical settings approved by a Bishop, which you can see by viewing this PDF file.

8. I think this is worthy of consideration that a major publishing company has admitted in writing that not one of their alternate texts (which they use in place of the official Responsorial Psalm text) has been approved by any Bishop, which you can see by viewing this PDF document from last year.

9. For the record, when I started working at our local Cathedral, I was very shocked and worried that almost NONE of the Responsorial Psalms (which all used alternate texts from the official one) had any approval by any Bishop. This is something that caused me great anxiety, as my duty was simply to play what was given to me. I can say that, after several conversations with the Rector, I became less bothered by this. Four years later, and hundreds of Masses later, I became even less bothered. I am not saying this is right, and I certainly have NO INTENTION of casting any aspersions on our wonderful Cathedral program. I'm merely sharing some observations of a parish musician who has played hundreds and hundreds of Masses in Latin, Tagalog, English, Spanish, and other languages. I am merely sharing my experience for what it's worth.

10. I hope and pray my words will be welcomed, and taken in the spirit in which they are given.

P.S.

By the way, on a similar note, a few years back, I recall speaking at length to a director of liturgy for one of the largest, most Catholic Dioceses in the USA. At that time, I was asking about the approval status of the SEP. I kept asking over and over, and he kept saying, "What are you talking about? It's just the Graduale Romanum! We use SEP all the time. What are you talking about?" I think I eventually hung up the phone, pretty embarrassed that I would waste his time like that. I mention this merely as a point of interest. There's a certain degree of common sense here that also needs to be taken into consideration.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Remember that the Bishops' Committee has said the GIRM is only a guideline that gives general norms for usual circumstances. I can find the precise quote somewhere. The GIRM assumes knowledge of common Catholic practice. It is not a technical document that spells out every possible circumstance.

This. Very yes.

Which opens up as many cans of worms as it dispatches, but is still accurate.

There is a particular flavor of sola-scriptura/calvinist-in-sheep's-clothing approach to Catholic Liturgy ("anyone can plainly read these documents and know their plain meaning, and anything they don't explicitly say is therefore completely forbidden") at work in some of these discussions, sometimes...

...to which I say:

EDIT: Not that some things aren't obvious, as I said before. And also, NOT that you can't or shouldn't attempt to conclude things which aren't clear. The manner of interpretation which I object to (and which, really, hasn't been on display here- but I have seen at other time), is this:
    Not only is my interpretation right, and I think it is worth defending- but also, it's the only reasonable one possible and anyone who can't see it is clearly stupid or disobedient.
    Thanked by 1Paul_Onnonhoaraton
  • melofluentmelofluent

Isn't this what we did at the Colloquium in 2010, using the Gradualia and Gregorian ordinary?

Andrew,
    The Saturday Solemn High Mass
    Int: Salve sancta parens/Byrd
    Grad: Benedicta et vernerabilis/Byrd
    Alleluia: Post partum/Byrd
    Off; chant/If ye love me/Byrd (not proper)
    Comm: Beata viscera/Byrd
    Thanked by 1Paul_Onnonhoaraton
  • Chalres beat me to the punch. I was going to point out that CMAA has done a wide variety of Propers settings over the years, including Propers in English and including polyphonic propers, and nobody has raised an eyebrow. Their programs are always prepared with great care.