Choir Loft Benefits
  • Below is a little document I came up with. Ideas, comments on this? Any help would be appreciated.

Some background: we are in preliminary stages of building a church. My pastor is convinced it will be cruciform and have a loft for choir (they are currently right next to the sanctuary (I could literally give the organist a back massage, yikes!) The choir is very nervous, truly close to hostile, about the drastic adjustment. To help, I composed the following.
    Thanks,
    ~Fr. T. Coonan Jr.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Kathy
    Fr. Coonan,

First of all, congratulations are in order! This is an important move. The same voices who argue for ad orientem posture should first of all address the psychological problem of having the choir in the front, facing the congregation. It's jarringly distracting!

I like your letter. I think it could go through another draft for clarity's sake, and to put everything into the most diplomatic form possible, but basically it is great. You have everything there, including the theological justification: the choir represents the angels.

I wonder if that could be magnified as an idea, and somehow pervade the document. At the very least, I would put it as the first reason. While the "distraction" element is important, it will go against the grain for the choir to hear that. They probably think that their appearance is important to people in the parish. Ugh.

• Adam WoodAdam Wood
    While everything you wrote here is perfectly sensible, I would offer that, generally speaking, hostility and fear of change are not rational processes, and so rational argument tends to have little effect. It even, sometimes, makes it worse.

Reassure people, let them know that their "contribution" to the liturgy will be enhanced this way. Tell them that they aren't being hidden in the back, but rather raised up as an example. Make sure they know the loft will be accessible to people who have a hard time climbing stairs (btw: make sure the loft will be accessible to people who have a hard time climbing stairs). Be positive. Spontaneously mention how exciting it is that a choir this good is finally getting the kind of loft they really deserve.
  • GavinGavin
    I could use a back massage!
  • GavinGavin
    "They probably think that their appearance is important to people in the parish. Ugh."

It is, for what that's worth.

I often wonder when I see things like this, would it be so bad to say honestly, "a choir loft has these positive features, but also these negative features. Due to the benefit gained by a loft, we will be planning for one."

I wonder if most of the people who complain do so because they really don't believe anyone has thought of their points before. (such as discontinuing back massages for the organist!) Perhaps taking a more honest and balanced approach would do a lot to diffuse complaints? Just a theory, I probably could be wrong on this.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • Ambrosius
    We have just had a new organ built (through kindness of a benefactor). It had to go to the west end, which meant that the choir had to go there too, into a newly built choir gallery (see photo). I had misgivings - partly, because I thought it seemed a bit old-fashioned and somehwat detached, and we had always been towards the front of the church and visible - but I am now wholly convinced that the points made by Fr T Coonan Jr in his paper are right. We sound better as a choir; we lead the congregational singing a little better; we are not at all distracting to the congregation; we are happy to lose any sense of 'performance'; and we have a terrific view (!). We go down to receive Holy Communion at the east end, so we still feel very much part of the assembly. Occasionally, after Communion, we stay near the sanctuary to sing something a cappella.
    709 x 1063 - 765K
  • mahrt
    An objection that I have often heard is that it is difficult for the choir to go to communion and still sing for the communion. A solution, though one we have not used, is to have a communion minister bring communion to the loft.

In Masses in which the congregation sing the ordinary we sing from a position at the side in the front of the church, in a location in what amounts to a small transept, facing perpendicular to the nave; when the choir sing a polyphonic ordinary, we sing in the loft. I hear continuing objection, occasionally strenuous, that being so far from the altar affects the participation in the liturgy for choir members. After using both positions, I take the objection seriously.

In my experience, the choir is tempted not to maintain liturgical deportment in the loft; a lot of talking; I once watched a choir member (not in my own choir) read a magazine through the canon and then go to communion. This could be minimized by having the choir wear choir vesture—robes, albs, something that emphasizes their liturgical role, and by occasional reminders to the choir.

In my opinion, having the choir in the sanctuary facing the congregation is a serious mistake. It makes a show of it. A hint that this is taking place is when the choir is given applause after a piece, or even at the end of the Mass.
  • gregpgregp
    I want to sing in Ambrosius' choir.
  • canadashcanadash
    Oh my, Ambrosius, that is SPLENDID! The organ is so perfect for the loft and enhances the beauty of your church! Wow!
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    Despite all the musical preference issues at my parish, having moved the organ (electronic) and choir to the loft about 7 years ago has been a very positive change in all aspects. Now it is a rather large balcony and the choir is not the only ones seated there; (25-30%) of the congregation also sits in the balcony at any given Mass, but there is a small section reserved for the choir at the choir Mass. We always have EMs come to the balcony so communion has never been an issue either. Although I heard some initial protests about choir members reading or being otherwise distracted in the old days (before they had moved downstairs before my time) it has never been an issue with me. Perhaps previous directors let them get away with it, or perhaps those distracted singers are no longer in the choir. If it were an issue, I think a little catechesis would go a long way.
  • Ambrosius
    canadash

Yes, it's good. (The architect wanted to make a modern 'statement' with the organ and gallery, but we put our foot down, insisting that it should look right in our neo-gothic building). We are hoping that the new organ and gallery will, in time, improve our musical offerings. We are an unauditioned choir of ordinary parishioners, but still attempt, after much rehearsal, to do a good deal of traditional SATB stuff as well as the usual modern things.
    Thanked by 2canadash CHGiffen
  • Palestrina
    Okay, here's my 5 cents, for all it's worth...

Adam Wood, I think that you're onto something: rational argument doesn't counter irrational fear.

Father, I suggest that you offer a few more 'sweeteners' here. If the choir says that they can't get to Communion, tell them that you recognise and deeply respect both their need for Communion and time after it to make a personal thanksgiving. Offer to give them Communion either immediately before or after Mass, and make sure that you always come through, straight away. After Communion, perhaps a bit of 'choir fellowship' over coffee? All these things make them understand that they're valued, and that you have carefully thought about the impact of moving them on their ability to pray and participate in the liturgy. When you're planning your church, are you setting aside a place as a private chapel? This would be ideal for Communion outside of Mass.

Also, don't forget that 80s hit, 'They blinded me with science.' You too can blind your choir with a bit of science - I'd talk about acoustics a lot more, and how the elevated position of the choir means that they're heard properly etc etc. The best argument, to my mind is actually to do with pipe organs: all the consultants tell you to put them up high, on the central axis of the building, otherwise they're usually ineffective. Tell them that they'll make a bigger, better, more beautiful sound up the back, and show them plenty of sound wave pictures to prove it. You need a choir loft for your pipe organ! Choir goes where organ is because that's where the console is (Tracker action only!!).

Anyway, just a few thoughts!
  • CharlesW
    Ambrosius, tell us more about the organ. Who was the builder?
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    There's a book I enjoyed about church architecture called "Ugly as Sin" by Michael Rose… perhaps some of you are familiar with it. In it, the author mentioned (very briefly -- almost in passing) that the Council of Trent helped standardize the choir loft (in the back), enabling the choir to fulfill its liturgical role without being the focus of attention. However, I've never seen that assertion about Trent anywhere else. Might any of you know anything about this?
  • Ambrosius
    CharlesW - The organ was built by Kenneth Tickell, Northampton, England. Here are a couple more pics. One shows bishop in choir gallery incensing it at the Dedication Service in February; other shows chamade trumpets.

Palestrina (see post above) is right about acoustics. But why is Communion a problem? (Also: having moved to gallery, we have experienced no deterioration of behaviour - perhaps even an increase now that the sanctuary and church are in our line of sight...)
    3456 x 2208 - 1M
    1095 x 821 - 320K
  • CharlesW
    Beautiful. I would love to hear it.
    Thanked by 1Ambrosius
  • canadashcanadash
    Gorgeous. If it sounds as good as it looks you are truly blessed.
  • Ambrosius
    Yes, CharlesW and canadash; it does sound as wonderful as it looks. Here's another pic. (We are hoping soon to be able to commission a small box organ to be made in the same style by the same builder: it'll be used for occasional accompanying of the choir at the east end and for smaller liturgies.)
    596 x 842 - 188K
  • BenBen
    That looks absolutely beautiful.
  • Liam
    No, the choir should receive Communion during Mass. While it's licit to receive after Mass, it's not good practice. Work back from best practice of sacramental participation, rather than around*. If this means the loft is a problem, then that's a lesser problem. Organists may decide for themselves a different balance, but they should not presume upon their choristers in this regard.

* Section 86 of the GIRM provides: "Care should be taken that singers, too, can receive Communion with ease." This is during the section on Communion, and there is no indication that this is to be interpreted as envisioning Communion after Mass for the choir as a normative practice. Whereas the EF rubrics were developed in centuries where the sacramental participation of the faithful at large was more notional than actual, and typically outside Mass (most typically in some places, right after Confession...), this is a case of deliberate (and good) development in the OF. Note the words "care" and "ease": taken together with the emphasis on the choir being with the people (as opposed to the sanctuary), it seems to envision that it should be as easy for the choir to receive as for any of the other faithful. If the access to and from the loft is such, and your choristers able enough, that they don't need a dedicated minister to join with the rest of the faithful with ease, great, but if not, provision should be made to remedy the situation.
    Thanked by 2Ben Andrew Motyka
  • BenBen
    The GIRM says something similar.
  • Thanks all.

A couple quick responses to specifics:
    -We will have an elevator for the loft.
    -Pastor is happy to bring communion to them if they want, but they may come down as well (either first or last to receive).

Now, generally:
    At this point, the document has no intended purpose beyond the "planning team" (pastor, myself, architect, liturgy director). It would certainly need some doctoring if it were to be used publicly in any way.

Since there are legitimate CONS to a choir loft (some mentioned above), we intend to consider them alongside these "PROS." Is there anything it is missing in regards to benefits? One thought is perhaps there's not enough comment about liturgical principles (they are all implicit).

Thank to both Kathy and Adam Wood especially. I will re-order "chorus angelorum" to #1. We will also not forget the fact (as Adam stated) that they need lots of support with such a transition (a "massage," if you will!).
    Blessings,
    ~Fr.TC
  • One thing nobody has yet mentioned that might be a concern for some of the choir members is, are there people in the choir with mobility issues? Unless an elevator is planned (as it sometimes is [EDIT: glad to see there will be one in this case]), climbing the stairs to the loft can be a challenge for some people, especially for older folks. This is especially true when it includes the prospect of descending for Communion and then having to climb back up again.

Speaking of Communion, there are a couple of different things that can work. As Liam says, planning to make them receive outside the liturgy is not really a good practice, and contradicts several of the things about "being part of the congregation" that Fr. Coonan's letter lays out. Sending up a eucharistic minister is okay, although if typical practice in the parish is for reception under both Species then this will not be possible for the choir, as nobody should climb stairs with a chalice. Not the end of the world, but a little dividing line that people may not like.

The best practice I have seen is as follows. Choir sings the Communion antiphon while the priest takes Communion. As Communion is being given to the other extraordinary ministers, the choir goes down and lines up first. During this time, the Communion hymn is begun by the cantor; an antiphon-verse hymn or chant with a simple congregational antiphon intercalated between verses sung by the cantor. (A parish should have about six or eight of these in its repertoire.) The choir receives Communion and then returns to the loft, having time to make personal thanksgiving until, as the Communion of the congregation is just winding down, they begin an anthem or motet. This covers the purification of the vessels and allows the congregation a few minutes to recollect themselves as all.

YMMV, but, as I said, this is the best-functioning practice I'm aware of. The only downside is that the choir looks like VIPs by getting to line up and receive Communion first, but I think since they have to return to the loft and get ready to sing that people are understanding.
  • Oh, you are so blessed to have an elevator for the loft.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    the budget would not allow a lift to the loft. I have one handicapped singer who was devastated by this news.

Do the powers that be know about this?

You are in danger of running afoul of Federal Law, moral law, and common decency. (A parfait of awfulness.)
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    Where did that quote come from?
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    i believe the originator has redacted it
    Thanked by 1irishtenor
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Father Coonan, I believe I was the Music Director where you were assigned while at the seminary as a Deacon. If so, keep up the good work and keep singing the Mass. :)
    Also, the choir loft is a splendid idea. Thumbs up.
  • JulieCollJulieColl

Very fascinating discussion, and I have a great deal of sympathy for the idea of choirs in lofts. At our former parish, a huge cavernous modern building, the organ and choir were for many years adjacent to the sanctuary, and I always imagined how much better it would be for many of the same reasons Fr. Coonan articulated for them to be moved to the large unused loft.

However, some years later, when the organ and choir were actually relocated to the loft, the results were less than felicitous. The organ and schola/choir could barely be heard despite a complex system of microphones and amps being installed.

I remember clearly how appalled the schola members were at having to sing the propers with microphones, but it was an absolute necessity.

Perhaps it was the fact that the church was largely made of concrete which absorbed the sound, or the organ was not built for the space, etc., but it clearly was not the best solution in our case.

I've always thought it was interesting how in some French cathedrals, the schola is located in the middle of the nave, surrounded by the congregation, although the organ is up in the loft of course. That is the case at St. Nicolas du Chardonnet in Paris as you can see in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mA5BCu2N19I.

Perhaps that might be a useful option in some situations.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    concrete which absorbed the sound

I don't think that's a thing.
  • Liam
    Adam

Unpainted coarse concrete can absorb a fair bit of sound at certain frequencies.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • kevinfkevinf
    @JulieColl The French have a tradition of having a "choir organ" and a "grand orgue" in the gallery. This is common practice in all of France. As such, many have two organs which function in very different manners. Or they might have a harmonium to accompany the choir.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Thanks for pointing that out, Kevin--- having two organs does appear to be case in St. Nicolas, and I remember seeing it at Notre Dame Cathedral as well. I've also seen in videos of EF Latin Masses in France that the schola will sit in the front pew of the church and the rest of the choir will be in the loft. There are even instances in France of someone like a song leader (if you can imagine that at the traditional Latin Mass!) directing the congregation to sing the parts of the Mass. This is actually discussed in De Musica Sacra (96, a).

I guess the point is that if the acoustics in your church building are not friendly to chant or acapella choral music, there are alternatives to the traditional choir loft approach---as satisfying as that may be in the usual case.
  • SalieriSalieri
    I'm partial to a large chancel with the choir in stalls, divided from the nave by a screen; but ye don't see that too often in the US. I also like the 'retro-quire' idea used in Westminster Cathedral, the SLC Cathedral of the Madelein, and some others.

As a person who sings/plays in a loft : The loft can be bad spiritually for the reasons cited by Dr Mahrt (and A.W.N. Pugin). Tho' if given the choice of in the front, facing the people, or being in a loft, I would go with the loft.
  • mahrt
    The problem with the situation at the Cathedral of the Madelein is that the retrochoir (in the apse) has the tabernacle smack in the middle. The choir sits directly behind the tabernacle and the director just beside it, a distinct conflict of functions. I directed a colloquium choir from that position and found it quite disconcerting.
  • svaillan
    One thing to consider as you are in the planning stage: I lose choir members from time to time due to the climb up the stairs up to the choir loft. Sometimes this is not a bad thing (as people's knees and hips age, so do their voices), but usually it is a loss to everyone. If it is possible, you should have handicap access to the loft.
  • svaillan
    We also have both a "Grande orgue" and smaller "orgue de Sanctuaire". Both can be played from the console in the loft although the sanctuary organ has it's own console. This is very useful for accompanying the psalmist.
  • SalieriSalieri
    Dr. Mahrt:

Yes, I found it disconcerting as well. That is the problem with re-ordering old churches to be 'according to the GIRM', they become, to me, "schizophrenic". Just let older churches stay the way the original architecht envisioned, and everyone will be much happier in the long run.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Dittos here about being in the apse behind the rrrrrrood (Scot's accent) scrrrrreen.
    But I thought it went well acoustically, and unlike Dusquene, If I collapsed in a cardiac arrest at least no one would notice and the Vespers would continue, yay!