Check your Lectionary
  • If this comes up every year and I've just missed it, I apologize.

In both of my copies of the Lectionary for Weekday Mass (Volumes II and III), St. Matthias, Apostle, is listed as being on May 13. This is incorrect. Matthias is May 14; the 13th is Our Lady of Fatima.

Is this incorrect in everyone else's Lectionary, too?
  • hartleymartin
    The date may be different depending on which diocese or Bishop's conference you belong to. I believe that there are different editions of the Lectionary for the USA, Canada, UK/Australia, etc.
  • Correct. I mean the US Lectionary, which is consistent across the states. The calendar, with the exception of local saints and local devotions, is also consistent. The US Lectionary puts Matthias on the 13th. He should be a day later.
  • jpal
    I do not have a full English lectionary in front of me (I only have volume one), but I do see that the Roman Missal, the Ordo Lectionum Missae, and my ordo all put Matthias on May 14, as you say. So it must be an error in that edition of the Lectionary.
  • I changed mine. In pen. I felt kind of dirty.
  • hartleymartin
    It isn't unusual for feasts to be moved. In Australia, the Feast of St Mark is moved to April 26th (one day later) because April 25th is ANZAC Day (local memorial day, which is bigger than November 11th