POPE FRANCIS' MUSIC, HOBBIES, PREFERENCES, INTERESTS -
  • Many here may well be already aware of the following to some degree or another, but, from today's Texas Catholic Herald (of the Archdiocese of Galveston-Houston) here are some of the preferences, likes, and dislikes, of our new Holy Father Francis.

1. Favourite city: Buenos Aires (not surprising)
    2. Favourite transport: subway for ease of getting around, bus 'because I can look outsided'.
    3. Favourite passtime: collecting stamps as a boy; today, reading and listening to music.
    4. Keeping informed: newsapapers, turns on radio only to listen to Classical Music.
    5. Favourite authors: adores poetry of Freidrich Holderlin, Alessandro Manzoni, Dante Alighieri, and the works of
    Fyodor Dostoesvky, and Jorge Luis Borges.
    6. Favourite music: Beethoven's Leonore Overture No. 3 (conducted by Furtwangler), plus other Beethoven and
    some Wagner.
    7. Favourite dance style: tango, which he 'loves very much', but as a youth, preferred the milonga (an older form of
    tango with faster rhythm).
    8. Favourite film: Babettes Feast, plus Italian neorealism films.
    9. Favourite painting: Chagall's White Crucifixion
    10. Favourite person: his Grandmother, Rosa
    11. Favourite saint: Therese de Lisieux
    12. Favourite virtue: the virtue of love
    13. Worst vice to avoid: pride and 'thinking of oneself as a big shot'.
    14 Typical reaction to unexpected announcements: freezes
    15.Things he would rescue in event of a fire: his breviary and appointment book. His breviary is the first thing he
    opens in the morning and the last thing he closes before sleep. Between its pages are his grandmother's letters,
    and her last words to her grandchildren before she died.

Many may have seen all or part of this elsewhere, but here it is that we may know HF Francis a little more personally.
  • ryandryand
    So now we have VII, Paul VI, JPII, BXVI, and Francis supporting classical church music. Progressives can look to the videos of the papal mass on chant cafe if they doubt the liturgical sensibilities of Francis. Pius X and XII were clear enough, but why listen to them, post-VII? ( the progressives ask). No reason to! You've got a recent ecumenical council and the teachings of 4 popes in the last 5 decades.

Not like we believe in ecclesiastical authority or anything...
  • GavinGavin
    "So now we have VII, Paul VI, JPII, BXVI, and Francis supporting classical church music."

Really, Ryan? Benedict, yes. John Paul II.... barely, but the case can be made. The others?

Really??
  • ryandryand
    VII was clear. We know that.

Paul VII issued Jubilate Deo. Many chose to ignore it, but his intention was clear. Read the introductory paragraph.

JPII was clear in his thoughts about liturgical music, but again, most chose to ignore him.

Benedict claimed he was only continuing the work of his beloved predecessor, not doing anything new. (Benedict didn't start the revival of the TLM, let's remember).

Francis is clearly in line with the chants of the church if videos count as evidence.

In this matter, I feel that it is the opposite of the norm, where the burden of proof rests on the believer. Regarding liturgical music, the burden of proof rests on the "non-believer," that liturgical progressive who believes that post-VII liturgies are fair game for any sort of hip regional music and should be celebrated in a closed-circle manner.

In fact, the writings of the council and all popes since (except JPI and Francis, only since he hasn't had a chance, but he HAS led by example) prove the point.

The burden of proof is on the other side of this debate. Show one papal quote, one conciliar document, even one bishop's statement (binding to his diocese, not conflicting with church documents) which undermine the ideal of Gregorian chant.

When did Paul Vi oppose it?
    When did JPII?
    What impression do we have of Francis opposing it?

When did Vatican II oppose it?

So, yes. Really.
    Prove otherwise.
    Thanked by 2miacoyne CHGiffen
  • BenBen
    Did anyone else see this thread title and think it was talking about our own Francis on the forum?

Still getting used to our pope's new name. Just doesn't ring as pope-ly in my ears yet...
  • There, Ben! That should clear things up.
    (Our Francis might well have thought 'I never collected stamps,' or 'I don't like Dostoevsky,' or... or.... 'My grandmother's name is not Rosa!')
    Thanked by 1CharlesW