3 year cycle for propers
  • Do we have to use Simon Ioannis as the communion for this coming Sunday, or can we stick with Surrexit Dominus? The Gregorial Missal seems to suggest that Simon Ioannis is optional, but the CMAA's Communio and CC Watershed does not.
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    Ryan,

According to the Graduale, the Communion chant for the Third Week of Easter is Cantate Domino, with Surrexit Dominus being for the Third Sunday, Year A, and Simon Ioannis for the Third Sunday, Year C.
  • Thanks Rich. You're right, but new edition of the Gregorian Missal lists Simon Ioannis as "Optional for Year C"... ?
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    This is more clear in the Graduale - and even more clear in the Ordo Cantus Missae. It would seem to me Simon Ioannis is preferred for the readings of Year C (and Surrexit Dominus for the readings of Year A), but that Cantate Domino is prescribed. (In the OCM, there is one section that lists the regular chants for each week, and then separate sections that lists "Cantus ad Lectiones Apti" for Years A, B, and C for Sundays, and Years I and II for weekdays.)

If you're not going to do Simon Ioannis, I would do Cantate Domino before I would do Surrexit Dominus - although Surrexit is nice and short! Of course, it's the OF, so there's nothing invalid about doing Surrexit Dominus (neither is there, of course, in doing no chant, even if that's not the preferred option).