What do you "title" a Mass which is celebrated by the Bishop in OF?
  • ryandryand
    I'm aware of terms like "Solemn High Mass" or "Pontifical High Mass" in EF, but what about OF? If the Bishop is visiting our parish (once for Confirmations, and then for the closing of parish centennial), is there a particular term for the Mass that is celebrated with the Bishop?
  • mahrt
    I would say that it is still a Pontifical Mass. I think "High Mass" is still appropriate for the OF, but the problem is that "High Mass" means that everything to be said aloud is sung (except, of course, for the sermon). This is the case for a High Mass in the EF, but while Masses in the OF can be (and well might be) all sung, scarcely any are, so that perhaps we might call most Masses "Middle Masses."

We did some publicity for some special Masses using the term "High Mass," and we received a direction from the diocese not to use the term High Mass; we could call it a sung Mass. I think the allergy to "high" was that it implies that it is better. Of course it does, the Constitution on the Sacred Liturgy implies this: "¶113. Liturgical worship is given a more noble form when the divine offices are celebrated solemnly in song, with the assistance of sacred ministers and the active participation of the people."
  • ryandryand
    Thanks Dr. Marht.

Not sure if this Bishop will be singing or not, so should I advertise it as "Pontifical?"
  • BenBen
    Yep!

Incidentally, I was talking to my vicar general a couple years ago about this while preparing for an ordination, and he said "pontifical" simply meant "relating to a bishop." If you wanted to have fun with it, he would arrive to the pontifical Mass in his pontifical car with his pontifical driver (unless he was behind the pontifical wheel). :)

• melofluentmelofluent
    Again, I wish I could answer the question totally with mirth, but on a number of occasions with many different prelates presiding, I'd call it "Missa de Confusio."
    Luckily, with age, came perspective and CMAA. I've done a fair number of them this last year, and when I've a question such as "Which form of the penitential rite would you prefer?" of an MC or the Bp, you receive either A. "I dunno." or B. A treatise stating how this will be the (permanent) deacon's "call," whom, of course, has no idea or notion of this falling to him, and who's never been trained, yada. So, I go back to quire scratching my head thinking "Yikes, are we chanting the Kyrie or not, that's all." Then I smile.
    Thanked by 2francis Jenny
  • ryandryand
    Dearest Mellow One,

Understood. Totally. This year's Triduum drove me to insanity and back and everything in between. Who even knows what is going on? The Bishop won't be around for a couple of months yet and I am already dreading the miscommunications that are going to happen between our priests, sacristans, deacons ... and the poor choristers who have to learn something at the last minute because something was unclear during the month-long preparation of the liturgy.

And of course, I just smile. What else can one do? :)

Happy Easter to you all!
    Thanked by 1melofluent
  • francis
    Do I hear 'disfunctional church' anyone? Actually, the catholic word for the PC term, "disfunctional", I have most often found is simply truly just "rebellion."
  • Stational Mass. (A Mass celebrated by the bishop in his cathedral or official parish visitation.)
    Thanked by 1chonak