Confiteor chant for Compline
  • I would appreciate if somebody would tell me if I am doing this correctly, I am not quite sure on the usage of the linea punctum cavum but basically I am using it as a breve.

Also if anybody knows about a Confiteor that is in Gregorian notation that I can copy from.

Here is what I have done so far:
    http://ofmi.net/Confiteor.pdf
  • MHIMHI
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    I can't comment on the melodic formula, but I will comment on the use of the linea punctum cavum.

It's been my experience (in official books) that a linea punctum is used whenever there is a group of syllables to be chanted on a reciting tone. The cavum is used to show where a note is optional. The linea punctum cavum, then, implies (to me) a reciting tone that might optionally occur - not a breve.

However, certain more recent (non-official) editions employ the cavum to indicate a breve. This seems to me to be an unfortunate confusing of four-line and modern notation.
  • MHI:
    I suppose our community is different in that we chant the Confiteor like that. I don't know the terminology but I would like to, thanks.
  • smvanroodesmvanroode
    However, certain more recent (non-official) editions employ the cavum to indicate a breve.

The Antiphonale Romanum (2010) and Antiphonale Monasticum (2005-2007) occasionaly use three punctum cavum close together where in modern notation a breve would be used.
    Thanked by 1SkirpR
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    Steven, you're right. I was forgetting about that.
  • MHIMHI