Is Graduale Simplex not permitted at EF Masses?
  • Is it only for the Novus Ordo Masses?
  • BenBen
    yep. It uses the new calendar.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • smvanroodesmvanroode
    Unless you can find a 1967 copy – this still uses the old calendar. But I don't know if it is allowed at EF Masses – the 1967 edition is not a editio typica, just a first printing.
  • So it was purely intended to encourage/preserve singing the propers in Latin at Novus Ordo Masses? (which does make sense, I agree)
  • JahazaJahaza
    There are also simplified versions of the EF propers, like the Chants Abreges. You can use the Novus Ordo Graduale Simplex if the texts match (or the regular NO Graduale), but the proper music should be done and not abbreviated/shortened/simplified versions when this is possible (embroided, e.g. polyphonic, propers are a different kettle of fish.)
  • WGS
    For the E.F., you can use any musical setting for any of the propers, as long as all the required words are sung in their proper sequence.
  • Right. If a chant from the EF appears in the Graduale Simplex, you may use it.
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    So it was purely intended to encourage/preserve singing the propers in Latin at Novus Ordo Masses? (which does make sense, I agree)

And yet, somehow, somewhere, something went terribly wrong.
    Thanked by 1Jenny