Question concerning GIRM for Communion...
  • WendiWendi
    I was having a discussion with a colleague and this came up. It is my colleague's reading of the GIRM that a choral communion piece may not be sung after the priest is finished distributing (as a choral meditation), but that only a congregational hymn may be sung at that time. I don't read it that way, but I would like to get the perspective of the members of this forum.

Thanks in advance.
  • CharlesW
    Sometimes, I hit them with the dreaded "S" word - SILENCE! Some sacred silence can be a good thing. Other times, the communion hymn is still going on. Probably, no two congregations handle this the same way.
    Thanked by 2Gavin Wendi
  • I believe the GIRM allows a choral Communion piece, but seems to favor a congregational hymn.

I recently wrote an article about this, and hope to post it soon --- it was rejected by HPR.
    Thanked by 1Wendi
  • hartleymartin
    I tend to favour havinga suitable communion chanr followed by a hymn. If communion takes a very long time I would have a short motet in between.

I avoid the practice of having a communion hymn followed by a "thanksgiving" hymn.
    Thanked by 1Wendi
  • matthewjmatthewj
    We do:
    -Proper with Psalm verses
    -A lengthy organ improvisation on the proper (or in Lent another Psalm or Taize refrain with Psalm verses in between repetitions)
    -A hymn
    -A motet
    -And then usually a lengthy improvisation on the motet, which I try to tie back in to the proper.

There are times when having a large congregation is difficult. Communion is one of those times.
    Thanked by 1Wendi
  • GavinGavin
    GIRM 2.88:

"When the distribution of Communion is over, if appropriate, the Priest and faithful pray quietly for some time. If desired, a Psalm or other canticle of praise or a hymn may also be sung by the whole congregation."

I think it's pretty clear that whatever is sung, though nothing must be done at this moment, should be sung by the whole congregation.

However, I don't see the need for a strict legalistic reading of this rule. I've never seen a post-communion hymn as being particularly effective, though people do usually appreciate a choral work at this moment. I prefer to do nothing at this point (silence, as Charles says), but I'm not going to get up in anyone's grill over a choral or organ work after Communion.
    Thanked by 3Wendi marajoy Pax
  • WendiWendi
    I know a choral piece at communion can be done, the question arose as to whether or not it can be the final communion piece while the priest or deacon is purifying the sacred vessels.

For instance, is this order permitted...

Chanted Proper with Psalm verses

instrumental organ piece OR congregational hymn

Choral piece sung by choir alone

or must it be this order instead?

Chanted Proper

Choral piece

Congregational hymn

I'm just soliciting other opinions since there was a difference of interpretation during the discussion I was involved in, and I wondered if this kind of difference of interpretation happened often.
  • WendiWendi
    Gavin we were posting at the same time.

I'm rather of that opinion myself...the congregation seems to appreciate the choral piece as a post communion since it gives them some time to quietly sit and reflect before the final blessing. Which is why I asked here, I'm curious as to what other sacred musicians think.
  • francis
    Gavin said

"When the distribution of Communion is over, if appropriate, the Priest and faithful pray quietly for some time. If desired, a Psalm or other canticle of praise or a hymn may also be sung by the whole congregation."

I think it's pretty clear that whatever is sung, though nothing must be done at this moment, should be sung by the whole congregation.

Gavin

The operative word here is 'may' not 'should'. Let's not slant the GIRM to the advantage of personal preferences.

Thanked by 1Wendi
  • I have my cantor sing "Anima Christe" as the priest distributes communion to the Eucharistic ministers, followed by the congregational hymn. If time permits, I do another congregational hymn. Some people sing, others are quietly meditating.
    Thanked by 1Wendi
  • GavinGavin
    what's slanted? May be sung by the congregation.... not "by the congregation or choir".

This is clear as day.
    Thanked by 2Wendi marajoy
  • francis
    may

Not may only
  • Agreed with Gavin. Francis, this is a perfect example of expressio unius est exclusio alterius.

That's not to say it's a good rubric, but then, we wouldn't ignore rubrics just because we don't like them, would we?
    Thanked by 1Wendi
  • chonakchonak
    Apply the hermeneutic of continuity. The documents don't state any intention to exclude elements of previous practice from the music used at Holy Communion.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    The factor of size of congregation and proportion of same that line up to communicate, as well as church dimensions, number of priests, deacons, EMHC's, both or one species and celebrant's preference as to post-reception altar duties all must factor in.
    If those proportional dimensions aren't sufficiently large, don't cram, be flexible.
    Like Matt M we get in the proper (tho' less of it during the CDC flu season warning should bishop shutter the chalices) then choir communicates as the congregational option four is taken up immediately, then as the line wanes I cadence the congregational and begin and finish the motet/anthem before the reserve ciborium is in the tabernacle, and oila, silencio!
    No muss, no fuss.
    Communion collect prayed/responded
    If there's a 2nd collection, taken in silence or with announcements.
    Thanked by 1Wendi
  • francis
    MarkThompson said

Agreed with Gavin. Francis, this is a perfect example of expressio unius est alterius.

Ummm, could you have the use of the phrase backwards? I am promoting inclusivity of all the above styles and forms for communion selections INCLUDING congregational singing. It seems some think congregational singing should be considered exclusive of choral music or chant.
    Thanked by 1Wendi
  • smvanroodesmvanroode
    Latin original:

Si placet, etiam psalmus vel aliud laudis canticum vel hymnus a tota congregatione persolvi potest.

The 'postest' ('may') alludes to the offered possibility ('si placet') of singing a psalm, other canticle of praise or hymn, not to the participants of the singing (which, by the way, in Latin is not just singing but 'persolvi' – rendering thanksgiving).

So, the GIRM assigns this song, if it is sung, to the entire congregation, not just a part of it.
    Thanked by 1Wendi
  • chonakchonak
    The US bishops document on music Sing to the Lord seems to consider choral works perfectly acceptable:

193. When the Communion procession is lengthy, more than one piece of music might be desirable. In this case, there may be a combination of pieces for congregation and pieces for choir alone. Choirs with the requisite ability may sing the proper Communion chant from the Graduale Romanum, either in Gregorian chant or in a polyphonic setting, or other suitable choral pieces. Instrumental music may also be used to foster a spirit of unity and joy. If there is a hymn or song after Communion, the Communion music should be ended “in a timely manner.” A period of silent reflection for the entire congregation after the reception of Communion is also appropriate.
    Thanked by 1Wendi
  • smvanroodesmvanroode
    SttL 193 talks about the songs during communion, not after communion. These are completely different in nature. The song after communion should be sung by the entire congregation if we do the red.
    Thanked by 2Wendi CHGiffen
  • WendiWendi
    Well I'm very glad to see that the church remains a big tent, with a variety of opinions on any topic.

My reading of the SttL 193...a hymn OR song after communion. If SttL differentiates between the two, that would seem to allow for some flexibility...
  • hartleymartin
    I believe that "song after communion" in fact refers to the recessional.
    Thanked by 1Wendi
  • smvanroodesmvanroode
    I believe that "song after communion" in fact refers to the recessional.

No, it's really a song directly after communion and before the prayer after communion. See also the Order of Mass:

138. Then the Priest may return to the chair. If appropriate, a sacred silence may be observed for a while, or a psalm or other canticle of praise or a hymn may be sung.
    139. Then, standing at the altar or at the chair and facing the people, with hands joined, the Priest says: Let us pray.

The recessional isn't mentioned in the Roman Missal.
    Thanked by 2Wendi Spriggo
  • francis
    smvanroode

Are you espousing that choral music or Gregorian chant or even organ meditational music cannot be utilized after the communion procession and that ONLY congregational singing is appropriate?
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    Are you espousing that choral music or Gregorian chant or even organ meditational music cannot be utilized after the communion procession and that ONLY congregational singing is appropriate?

Not to speak for him, but that is what it seems the documents call for.
  • WendiWendi
    I'm curious as well smvanroode. Are you advocating silence as the only alternative to a hymn at that time during the Mass?

What happens if the organist gets ill or is out of town and no back-up is available? Using the interpretation I lean towards, a choral piece can be sung a capella after the chant. It's much more difficult (and I dare say impossible in some places) for a hymn to be sung without accompaniment.

Please understand I'm not trying to be critical, I'm just trying to understand that interpretation of the GIRM... as my colleague read it the same way you do, and I don't.

I don't think it's a question of which is right or wrong either. It is my belief that people can agree to disagree on this particular issue. I'm just trying to understand the thought process behind the different interpretation.

If anyone is interested in my reasons for reading it the way I do...I don't read the GIRM in isolation. I read it alongside Musicam Sacram, Sing to the Lord, Sacrosanctum Concilium and a number of other legislative documents on music in the Mass. The interpretation I lean towards is more consistent with all the other documents...in my opinion of course. As usual...YMMV.
    Thanked by 1smvanroode
  • smvanroodesmvanroode
    After communion (i.e. from the moment the celebrant returns to the chair) there are only two options: sacred silence, or, if appropriate, a psalm, other canticle of praise or a hymn sung by the entire congregation. That's what the rubrics say. That's what we should do.

As to choral music, a Gregorian chant or organ meditation, I think it would be more appropriate if this is utilised during communion (i.e. up to moment the celebrant returns to the chair), depending on how long communion takes. See for an organ solo for example Musicam Sacram 65.

The thing is that, according to the rubric, the time after communion and before the prayer after communion apparently asks for a communal action: either all are silent in prayer or all are giving thanks in song. The proper nature of each song in the liturgy is to be carefully observed (cf. MS 6), and this principle of course also applies to the song after communion. The kind and form of music proper to the character of the song after communion is, according to rubric, a psalm, other canticle of praise or a hymn sung by the entire congregation.

Choral music, Gregorian chant or organ meditational music are appropriate for the liturgy, but at this particular point at Mass, the Missal just asks something different from us.
  • francis said:
    Ummm, could you have the use of the phrase backwards? I am promoting inclusivity of all the above styles and forms for communion selections INCLUDING congregational singing. It seems some think congregational singing should be considered exclusive of choral music or chant.

Well, you edited out part of what I wrote. Perhaps that's what's confusing you? But no, I have the principle the right way 'round: the expression of one thing is to be taken as excluding other possibilities of the same class. When the rubric says that after Communion a hymn or song may be sung by the whole congregation, that excludes the possibility of a motet or anthem being sung by the choir alone.

Or think of it this way: imagine a rubric that said, "After Communion, the priest may lead the congregation in the Hail Mary," and then somebody comes onto the forum to complain, "But at my parish, after Communion a masculine, pantsuited nun leads us in a centering prayer. Is that okay?" I take it you would not reply in favor of the practice, as above, with the reasoning, "The operative word here is 'may' not 'should'. Let's not slant the GIRM to the advantage of personal preferences. . . . May. Not may only. . . . I am promoting inclusivity."
    Thanked by 1Wendi
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    As to choral music, a Gregorian chant or organ meditation, I think it would be more appropriate if this is utilised during communion (i.e. up to moment the celebrant returns to the chair), depending on how long communion takes. See for an organ solo for example Musicam Sacram 65.

And just to make the observation - I think it's somewhat ironic that of all the places where the choir is permitted by the GIRM to sing alone, American (at least) practice is that these moments must (according to some) be times the congregation sings - and the one time these people suggest the choir can sing alone, the GIRM doesn't allow for it and points the way toward a communal action!
    Thanked by 1Wendi
  • rich_enough
    What if no one sings the song after communion?
    Thanked by 1Wendi
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    I think the point is that (at least following the GIRM) it should be a song that everyone could sing. If they choose not to, then perhaps that indicates the congregation might do better with the silence option.

It would be a little disingenuous to program a polyphonic Palestrina motet with the intention that the congregation would join in!
    Thanked by 2Wendi Gavin
  • WendiWendi
    SkirpR your contention is that the only thing permissible by the GIRM after communion is a congregational hymn or silence? Am I reading your statement correctly?
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    From a strict reading of the text, yes. And also from experience. At the same time I wouldn't be terribly concerned about a choral piece or solo being sung after communion. Surely there are bigger problems with the liturgy in any parish than fixing this - especially if it is a tradition that is held dear by any constituency. But, if one has the luxury in one's situation to be able to step back and think about what is really being asked of us in that moment, and the freedom to change traditions without upsetting people (the pastor, the choir, the congregation), I think there is wisdom in this directive.

Let me give a number of examples from my personal history...
    1) When I was in high school in the 1990s, I was a budding musician and Mass was pretty much my only outlet. I suppose looking back on it, I'm rather ashamed that I looked at it that way, but I guess I was young without much guidance and in the end it led me to what I'm able to do today, so I don't completely regret it. In any case, for bigger liturgies, convocations, baccalaureates, and the like, I lived for doing something really "special" after Communion, but in my heart (and for most of my fellow musicians I think) it boiled down to performance, plain and simple, no matter how appropriate or prayerful the music might have been.

2) A parish I once attended in Florida had a very strong music program. Not always the most sacred music per se, but well-performed. Whenever they did a choral or solo piece after Communion, I generally felt it was prayerfully offered. However the congregation always applauded. No matter how many times this happened, I always kind of winced. Like would you think it was appropriate to applaud after the Collect?? (Worst part was the pastor would always join in the applause with them...)

3) A parish I attended in Baltimore was the first place I encountered the hymn of thanksgiving after communion. As soon as communion was over - meaning the vessels were purified and the priest returned to the chair - the congregation would be invited to stand and sing a hymn. The organist would usually play an organ solo instead of a recessional hymn when this was the case. (I mean, if people want to leave quickly, why force them to sneak out or stay with guilt if that recessional song is not really part of the Mass anyway.) It was weird for me when the director first started implementing it, but in time I saw the wisdom of it (and only later learned that in fact the rubrics suggest it!).

4) This year, my main musical duties are at a Catholic prep school, and the schola sings the Latin communion antiphon with English verses. There is no congregational singing at Communion, and we do a recessional (outside of Lent). The only reason I do this is the students have nowhere to go until the period is over, and so I think it best that we end with congregational singing rather than singing a hymn after Communion. (Plus I'm not much of an organ soloist, and neither is our instrument.)

I usually begin the chant as the priest receives the Precious Blood and start the "Gloria Patri" when I see the end of the communion line is in sight. This provides just enough music to cover the shuffle of the getting up for communion, and usually allows purification to occur in silence - which lets everyone pray together in silence (including the schola and I).

After all of these various experiences, I just don't feel anymore that it's best for the choir to sing alone after Communion most of the time. It just smacks too much of performance to me. Even if that's not the intention, I think it's how it's received by a lot of people. I actually think other times - particularly offertory - make a much better opportunity to feature the choir alone. After all, at offertory the congregation is seated (not really the proper posture for joining in a hymn), and there's a liturgical action to be accompanied. One liturgist of the 80s and 90s I knew would always play an interlude during the offertory procession so that people's heads were not buried in the program or hymnal at that point - and I think there is wisdom in that. Why not extend it to the entire offertory? Watching the offertory prayers accompanied by music can be breathtaking. Compare all of that liturgical action with the time after communion, where there's no liturgical action to be accompanied with music. If there's a choral piece or solo, it really more or less ends up being "listen to them" - again, even if it's truly not offered for that reason.

Just my thoughts. The status quo in many places would suggest that this is all over-thought, so feel free to disagree with me - but I was surprised to learn (after the fact) that the GIRM happens not to disagree with me.
    Thanked by 3Wendi Paul F. Ford Pax
  • WendiWendi
    Thank you very much for that post. It gives me a lot to think about. ...I don't necessarily agree or disagree with you. And I honestly don't think it matters either way.

You have very clearly put a great deal of thought into your position on this and you have the luxury of being able to put your conclusions into practice. Although I do agree with you that it is best to be flexible for pastoral reasons.
  • chonakchonak
    Some folks have mentioned a benefit of the suggested congregational hymn after communion. If you sing one, then you can let the organ provide the recessional; that should be more conducive to prayer after Mass than a hymn would be.
    Thanked by 2Wendi SkirpR
  • melofluentmelofluent
    "Prayer after Mass." Hmmm. Does that happen a lot back east, mid-Atlantic states?
    Out here in car-crazed California we could play the William Tell Overture at the end of each Mass, no one would even notice. Fastest processional of any of them, we should add a fourth processional Proper, maybe calling it the Momentum.
  • I've always been under the impression that the hymn or silence after communion is to bring the community together after their individual experience receiving communion...and that a choral piece (chosen carefully) or silence also serves the same purpose.

Carefully chosen music keeps this from being a "listen to them" moment as SkipR mentions.

The fullness of this understanding came to me following an Episcopal communion as they sang this to the DECATUR PLACE tune, the congregation and 150 voice choir as a communion meditation hymn.

We the Lord’s people,
    heart and voice uniting,
    praise him who called us
    out of sin and darkness
    into his own light,
    that he might anoint us
    a royal priesthood.

This is the Lord’s house,
    home of all his people,
    school for the faithful,
    refuge for the sinner,
    rest for the pilgrim,