Easter Vigil - when do the lights come on?
  • In preparing for the Easter Vigil this year, we've come up against the question of when to turn on the lights in the church. The rubrics say to do this just after the deacon places the paschal candle in its holder and before the Exsultet. However, it seems to be a nearly universal experience of everyone I've spoken to that they did not turn on lights until either after the Exsultet, or at the Gloria. Many communities that otherwise follow the rubrics exactly even do this. Msgr. Elliot in his book on the ceremonies of the Roman Rite recommends waiting as well. So what are people's thoughts on this? Does the rubric actually say what it seems to say? And if so, what is the rationale for so many parishes and other communities "getting away with" this? I personally have always loved the darkness until the Gloria, and had no idea this rubric instructed otherwise, but I just want to do what is right, as does my pastor.

Any thoughts and commentary appreciated!
  • marajoymarajoy
    Yes, the rubric actually says to turn them on right (ETA: oops, yes, right before) the Exsultet. (Tell your priest to check the Roman Missal; it will say right before the Exsultet.) As you've experienced, people prefer the darkness til the Gloria b/c it definitely adds to the "suspense" and "drama" of the Vigil (the glory of the Gloria!)
    As for why they get away with it? On the scale of liturgical abuses, I think this one is pretty far down the line. And secondly, think of the concept of having a rubric for lights anyhow- Is there really a requirement for there to be lights at all at a Mass? Of course not - a Mass with no lights would be perfectly valid and licit. (as long as everyone could see enough to say the proper texts.) What if some crazy kid decided to randomly flash the lights at a regular Sunday Mass- while it would certainly be distracting, that wouldn't either make the Mass illicit. I definitely know there are flaws to this logic, (obviously even though *normally* the lights aren't part of the rubrics, when the are, we ought to follow it,) but to me, this seems a very "weak" rubric, since when/whether the lights are on or off really has nothing to do with the action going on at the altar, which is normally what the rubrics are concerned with.

Sorry I'm rather convoluted tonight... I'm curious to hear others' thoughts on this!
  • BenBen
    My cathedral turns on a light over the cathedra and one over the ambo after the exultet, then all at the Gloria's intonation.
  • Spriggo
    This from the Roman Missal:

When the Deacon arrives before the altar, he stands facing the people, raises up the candle and sings a third time:
    "The Light of Christ."
    and all reply:
    "Thanks be to God."
    Then the Deacon places the Paschal candle on a large candle stand prepared next to the Ambo or in the middle of the sanctuary.
    And lights are lit throughout the church, except for the altar candles.
  • Yes, the rubric actually says to turn them on right after the Exsultet.

Actually, the rubric says to turn on the lights right before the Exsultet. It's really weird.

For the record, we'll probably turn the lights on but at a low level until the Gloria. It's odd to have the lights on full blast but still sing without the organ.

And lights are lit throughout the church, except for the altar candles.

Question: was this practice originally "lamps," not "lights?" I neither have an editio typica Missal nor would I be able to use if it I had one. This rubric would make a lot more sense if it were referring to oil lamps instead of the great big spots many churches have now.
    Thanked by 1Spriggo
  • BenBen
    Question: was this practice originally "lamps," not "lights?" I neither have an editio typica Missal nor would I be able to use if it I had one. This rubric would make a lot more sense if it were referring to oil lamps instead of the great big spots many churches have now.

This makes some sense, especially if there would be dim light throughout the church, and lots of candles on the altar for easter.
  • dad29
    In the EF, the lights are turned on immediately before the Exultet. There's no good reason to change that.

For the Gloria, you get bellsbellsbellsbellsbellsbellsbells/the ringing and the clanging of the bells!
  • Steve QSteve Q
    Marajoy - although I agree with your sentiment that, "when/whether the lights are on or off really has nothing to do with the action going on at the altar," I admit that I am disappointed (mostly in myself) to learn only now about the details of this particular rubric. We had usually put the lights on just at the start of the Gloria, which I think did add to the glory of it. Here's a quick side story to support your thoughts about lighting in general:

At our 2011 Christmas Midnight Mass, we were just about to begin the liturgy when a transformer down the street blew up - virtually at the stroke of midnight. The whole neighborhood was blacked out including the church. So, without the use of the organ and with only the altar candles (and a couple of flashlights) to light the church, we sang everything a cappella and from memory as it was too dark in the loft to see the music. In the end it didn't matter much - it was an absolutely beautiful liturgy.
  • smvanroodesmvanroode
    At my cathedral all electric lights are switched on when the paschal candle is placed on its stand (I'm the one at the switches, actually). Then, at the start of the Gloria all candles on the altar (and side altars) are lit.

There's no reason to keep the lights off (or dim them) until the Gloria: from the moment the Exsultet is sung, we are "ablaze with light" from the eternal King, "arrayed with the lightning of his glory", "standing in the awesome glory of this holy light", "knowing an end to gloom and darkness".

This demands a church full of light, not a romantic, pale shimmering of candle lights or dimmed electric lights.
  • Liam
    Don't wait until the Gloria...that completely screws up the distinction between the Service of Light and the Liturgy of the Word, betraying a poor liturgical understanding.
  • Protasius
    I second Liams advice; until the reform in the 50s the Paschal candle was lighted at a special point during the Exsultet with the blessed fire having been carried on a small trifold candle. At this moment, which signifies the resurrection of the Lord, the lamps in the church were lighted while the deacon sang the rest of the Exsultet.
  • marajoymarajoy
    Part of the problem with having the lights on where it's prescribed is that we then stand in the dark with our candles for so short a time! (I mean, come on... darkness?! candles?! So cooooool! Don't we want to prolong that!?) ;-)
    Thanked by 1chonak
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    There's no reason to keep the lights off (or dim them) until the Gloria: from the moment the Exsultet is sung, we are "ablaze with light" from the eternal King, "arrayed with the lightning of his glory", "standing in the awesome glory of this holy light", "knowing an end to gloom and darkness".

This demands a church full of light, not a romantic, pale shimmering of candle lights

Have you ever been in a church lit with nothing but massive amounts of candlelight? It is a lot of things, maybe even romantic. But hardly pale.

I don't even know why we allow modern innovations like electric lighting into our Ancient and Venerable MASS OF THE AGES. The Church in Her wisdom and glory celebrated the HOLY SACRIFICE of the Mass without the use of artificial (FAKE) light bulbs. Now, today, we use electric lighting in all of our churches, and the Relativist Atheism of our age is more powerful than ever. The connection is CLEAR!!
  • chonakchonak
    There is a downside to fully illuminating the church: once you do that, the "awesome glory of this holy light", the paschal candle, no longer stands out: it is hardly noticeable.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Turning the lights on does not have to (nor probably should it) mean aiming high intensity spotlights at every decoration (the Paschal candle in particular) and bathing everything in brilliant floodlights. General, comfortably bright illumination is more dignified, and the warmth of such lighting can only reinforce (rather than diminish) the flame of the Paschal candle.

The Service of Light is not a spring break trip to the beaches to bake in the sun.
  • smvanroodesmvanroode
    Have you ever been in a church lit with nothing but massive amounts of candlelight? It is a lot of things, maybe even romantic. But hardly pale.

Agreed. The rubrics ask to lit all lights in the church (except for the altar candles), which can be electric lights but, of course, candle lights as well. I would even prefer the latter. But these lights are to be added to the light from the Paschal Candle and the lighted candles of the faithful. The entire church should bath in light, significantly contrasting the darkness of the church before the preparation of the candle.

There is a downside to fully illuminating the church: once you do that, the "awesome glory of this holy light", the paschal candle, no longer stands out: it is hardly noticeable.

There's no real need to. The light of the Paschal Candle stood out during the procession when it was the only light in the darkness of the church and announced as the Light of Christ. As soon as it is placed on its stand it becomes, by the spreading of its light among the faithful and by switching on the other lights in the church "a fire into many flames divided, yet never dimmed by sharing of its light."
    Thanked by 2Steve Q Chris Allen
  • Steve QSteve Q
    OK, you guys have convinced me of the wisdom of the rubric. I met this morning with the pastor and we will follow the instructions. It's cool. I only wish the lights in our church didn't buzz so loud that it feels like we're in a parking garage - but's that's another story.
  • Liam
    It may help to remember that the Easter Vigil is not a linear historical pageant recreating the moment of the Resurrection.
  • ClemensRomanusClemensRomanus
    Exactly! I think that's what a lot of liturgists forget.
  • Andrew_Malton
    The rubric uses cereus, "wax candle", candela, "wax taper", and lampada, "lamp, oil light". Lampada is the ordinary word for the altar lamp, and it's also the word used in the Proclamation to refer to the light "drawn out by mother bees", quas in substántiam pretiósae huius lámpadis apis mater edúxit.

It's normal even in rubrical English to use "light" to mean candle, and in the rubric during the vigil the lampades in the church are accenduntur, "kindled": the normal way of saying "light a lamp". And my point is that the liturgical language doesn't really have a word for "electric light". Electric lights were not allowed as altar lights for quite a long time after the former's introduction into churches.

Of course before 1955 and since time immemorial the vigil was anticipated in the morning of Holy Saturday, and so there is no tradition of the "Service of Light" : that (and the individual tapers) is a very recent innovation (or, if you prefer, a "deep restoration"). Nevertheless, its seems clear that the rubric calls for the same "level of lighting" for the Proclamation as for the rest of the service. (And it seems to me to be good taste, at least, for there not to be too much artificial light.)
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen smvanroode
  • Liam
    While there was no service of light, there was a Vigil followed by Mass (changing vestment colors), and the current placement of the Gloria marks the residue of that former differentiation, but in a new structure. But it's not a structure that should make people think of a Candlelight Service of Lessons and Carols for Easter Plus Mass....
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Candlelight Service of Lessons and Carols

I was once at an Easter Vigil where the priest described it in precisely those terms during the homily. They also replaced some of the Psalms with random-but-related choir pieces, including (no joke) Go Down Moses and 'Dem Bones.

• CharlesW
    Love grumpy cat! As for the lights, I am half a block away from the switches, so it isn't my job.

I have attended vigils where all seven psalms and readings were not done, just every other one.
  • chonakchonak
    Well, the minimum is three OT readings, so that was probably OK. The Exodus reading is mandatory.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • Protasius
    Of course before 1955 there was a Service of Light. It simply didn't stand out that much because in 1570 Pius V. saw it fit to forbid this; given the fact that in these times it was mandatory to fast from midnight when celebrating Mass, it doesn't seem that strange anymore. The legend of some Saint tells us that Pope Gregory the Great was very sad about usually being to weak to fast through the whole of Holy Saturday; by the assistance of this particular Saint (I don't remember right now who it is) he managed to fast the whole day. Ask your pastor, Easter Vigil is a demanding Service (and then imagine it with 12 lessons (in ancient Rome doubled to 24 by singing them in Latin and Greek)) especially when you ate nothing that day.