• musicman923
    Hi everyone,

I'm playing a organ concert at the first church I ever played at back when I was 13 in mid April.

One piece I wanted to perform is steal away. I heard an awesome choral arrangement of steal away by Andrew Carter and would like it to be transcribed for organ solo from the choral octavo score.

Sheetmusicplus is saying it will take 6 weeks to get shipped out. Does anyone own a score they would be willing to scan to me? The only reason I ask is in 6 weeks the concert will already be over.

Would anyone be willing to make an organ transcription out of the score for me? My transcription skills are lacking and I'm not good at transcribing.

Anyone have any suggestions let me know. Thanks!
  • I'm sure that you are not aware that it is illegal to do this - it is illegal to make an arrangement of a copyright piece of music without permission from the copyright holder - there is a wonderful organ arrangement by Gilbert M. Martin that I played this afternoon, in fact, for a Methodist church. The collection includes a stunning arrangement of ST. AGNES (Jesus, the Very Thought of Me) by Emma Lou Diemer as well as Raymond Haan's arrangment of ABERYSTWYTH (Jesus, Lover of My Soul) all and more for $12.50.

Having an arrangement done of a choral anthem for organ would cost a lot more than that.

http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title/Quiet-Reflections/467119

Steal Away is public domain, but Andrew Carter's arrangement is not. To further complicate things, if someone reprints AC's arrangement as is in a book, royalties on arrangements do not go to the arranger but to the original copyright holder...which in this case...is PD! Arrangers have to be paid well since normally in the US they do not get royalties on their arrangements.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Sheetmusicplus isn't the only game in town and instead of waiting 6 weeks you could call a dealer like Lois Fyfe who specializes in rush orders. In case there isn't already a rehearsal reduction of what seems to be an a cappella piece, you can then legally figure out how to play from the score yourself instead of hunting for an arranger who's either a bit shady or expensive enough to negotiate a very speedy above board deal with Banks Music.

• musicman923
    Thank You Frogman for that link. I will be sure to check out that book. If its the correct st. Agnes I'm thinking about, it is a great collection to have!! Hope that arrangement of steal away is close to the carter arrangement.
  • I'm not familiar with that arrangement, did a search for it and suddenly remembered that a few years I was given permission to arrange for organ 6 spirituals from choral works of Roland Marvin Carter, including Steal Away - I have permission to send out a some promotional copies - anyone interested, just email me: noel@frogmusic.com

It includes In Bright Mansions Above:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Se2kM9WCaI

This is Roland Carter conducting his arrangement. Make sure you listen to the ending...this was at a funeral of a well-loved choral director. Roland Carter was involved in the GIA Catholic African American hymnal. I was at his former church yesterday and walked by a wall of copies that the choir sings in...at a Baptist church.

• jenvon
    I don't believe this is Dr. Roland Carter directing this song. Not sure who it is but not Dr. Carter.
  • Jenvon,

I was initially put off by what you wrote....but then took a very good look!

Thank you, you are absolutely right! I have sat through rehearsals and performances by Dr. Carter and this conductor is just as musical and so clearly conducts - as Carter does - that I am, once again, totally wrong! THANKS!
  • Kathy
    The Catholic Choirbook,

You have many fine qualities. You can afford to make a little mistake from time to time. :)