Offertory Verses
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Will this awesome thing be featured on CMAA main site?
  • up there now
  • The quality of the work put into this PDF is so well-done, so clean, like the Parish Book of Chant before it, that photocopying it just doesn't do it justice. It's a small volume, but hopefully some sort of professionally bound edition becomes available.

Kudos!
  • incantuincantu
    This is exceedingly generous. Thank you.
  • Anhaga
    From this Christmas, my parish schola started singing Richard Rice's Simplified Offertory Verses, RR's Simplified Gradulae, and RR's Communio. All of them worked out very well and got positive responses from congregation and choir. Indeed, Richard Rice did a wonderful job!

And there was a question from a choir member that I could not provide a persuasive answer: What is the basis of singing verses or psalms which do not appear on Liber Usualis? Is there any Church document that encourages it?
  • chonakchonak
    In the front of the Liber (p. xv) is a section called "Rubrics for the Chant of the Mass"; that instruction authorizes the use of additional verses for the propers.
  • Anhaga
    I read the "Rubrics for the Chant of the Mass" and here are the excerpts related to the offertory and communion propers:

"VI. The Offertory is begun by one, two or four cantors, in the same way as the Introit, and is finished by the full choir.

VIII. (...) After the Communion, the full choir sings the Antiphon which is thus named, the Intonation being sung by one, two or four cantors as in the case of the Introit."

It seems not clear in the Rubrics to support the use of additional verses for the propers, even though it calls the proper "the Antiphon". Is there historical background to sing the additional verses of psalms for the propers? If it was a common practice to sing verses for the propers in old days, why the verses for the Introit still keep their places, while the verses for the Offertory and Communion propers do not appear any more in the Liber Usualis?

Again, I am so thankful to Richard Rice for the beautiful propers with verses which are greatly contributing to the sung liturgy in my parish.
  • Until a more authoritative answer comes along, here's what I've observed:

• The 1974 Graduale Romanum includes citations for Psalm verses that may be sung between reiterations of the Communion Antiphon. It's my understanding that these citations are from of old and not just arbitrarily chosen.
    • The Offertoriale Triplex is a collection of Offertories with verses set to ornate melodies. No Scriptural citation is supplied, but to the relatively unlearned (i.e., me), the manuscripts suggest that these melodies are of ancient origin. That would supply the historical basis for me. (Richard Rice's booklet linked at the top of this thread uses the Latin found in that book.)
    • The Introit as found in the 1974 Graduale usually includes the first verse of its respective Psalm in question; there are a few Introits that include more than one verse.
    • Omitting verses from the Graduale may simply boil down to a pragmatic approach to publishing. For example, the physical Communio volume is about as thick as the Graduale itself, and only a subset of the choir would be singing these verses.

Hope this helps; corrections welcome.
  • Chrism
    Anhaga, it's possible that your Liber is older than chonak's.

Authorization for the singing extra verses of the Introit, Offertory and Communion was codified in the 1958 instruction De Musica Sacra et Sacra Liturgia, #27 a), b) and c):

27. Also note the following points with regard to the sung Mass:

a) If the priest and his ministers go in procession by a long aisle, it would be permissible for the choir, after the singing of the Introit antiphon, and its psalm verse, to continue singing additional verses of the same psalm. The antiphon itself may be repeated after each verse or after every other verse; when the celebrant has reached the altar, the psalm ceases, and the Gloria Patri is sung, and finally the antiphon is repeated to conclude the Introit procession.
    b) After the Offertory antiphon is sung, it is also allowed to sing the ancient Gregorian melodies of the original Offertory verses which once were sung after the antiphon.
    Additional Verses
    But if the Offertory antiphon is taken from a psalm, it is then permitted to sing additional verses of this same psalm. In this case, too, the antiphon may be repeated after each verse of the psalm, or after every second verse; when the offertory rite is finished at t>he altar the psalm is ended with the Gloria Patri, and the antiphon is repeated. If the antiphon is not taken from a psalm, then any psalm suited to the feast may be used. Another possibility is that any Latin song may be used after the Offertory antiphon provided it is suited to the spirit of this part of the Mass. The singing should never last beyond the "Secret".
    c) The proper time for the chanting of the Communion antiphon is while the priest is receiving the holy Eucharist. But if the faithful are also to go to Communion the antiphon should be sung while they receive. If this antiphon, too, is taken from a psalm, additional verses of this psalm may be sung. In this case, too, the antiphon is repeated after each, or every second verse of the psalm; when distribution of Communion is finished, the psalm is closed with the Gloria Patri, and the antiphon is once again repeated. If the antiphon is not taken from a psalm, any psalm may be used which is suited to the feast, and to this part of the mass.
    After the Communion antiphon is sung, and the distribution of Communion to the faithful still continues, it is also permitted to sing another Latin song in keeping with this part of the Mass.
    Before coming to Communion the faithful may recite the three-fold Domine, non sum dignus together with the priest.
  • May I possibly say the heretical and say that I've tried using the PBC for an EF Mass and found it very difficult to keep switching from it to my notebook of propers? I've gone back to printing out everything in order for my group to put in their folders. The magic of Photoshop makes it possible to even patch on the proper Psalm terminations for Vespers. We still use it for the Missal section though.
  • chonakchonak
    The Liber edition on the CMAA web site has this (p. xv-xvj):

For the introit (I):
    > ... If the priest and ministers have some way to go in the church before reaching
    > the altar, there is no reason why several Verses of the Introit Psalm should not
    > be sung after the Antiphon and Verse. In that case the Antiphon may be repeated
    > after every Verse or two Verses.

For the Offertory (VI):
    > ... If the Offertory Antiphon is taken from a Psalm, other Verses of the same Psalm
    > may be sung. In that case the Antiphon may be repeated after every Verse or
    > two Verses. When the Offertory is over, the Psalm ends with Gloria Patri, and
    > the Antiphon is repeated.

For the Communion antiphon (VIII):
    > ... If the Antiphon is taken from a Psalm, other
    > Verses of the same Psalm may be sung. In that case the Antiphon may be repeated
    > after every Verse or two Verses; and when the Communion is ended Gloria Patri
    > followed by the Antiphon is sung.
    > If the Antiphon is not taken from a Psalm, some Psalm suitable to the feast
    > and to this part of the Mass may be chosen.
  • mahrt
    If I may say so, the scholarship on the offertory behind de musica sacra and the rubrics in the Liber was imperfect. The point is that the offertory is a responsory, not an antiphon, and so its verses are melismatic, like the gradual or alleluia, not recitative (psalm-tone), like the introit or communion. Hand missals before the council often designated offertories as antiphons, and liturgical scholars concerned with the texts only sometimes did so as well.

The medieval transmission of offertories, however, contained melismatic verses. These can be seen in an edition by Ott from the 1930s (available on the CMAA website), which was the basis of the Offertoriale triplex. These are the authentic offertory verses. Ott's edition also specifies the repetition of the choir after the verses, and it usually only the final portion of the responsory, as is the case for responsories of the office. There are usually only two verses, though some chants have more, and because they are melismatic, this is enough to accompany the offertory rite complete with incensation in the EF; one verse is usually sufficient for the OF with incensation. Thus there is never a consideration of the provision of a Gloria Patri as the conclusion of offertory verses; this should only be specified for recitative psalm verses, which presume the possibility of singing a whole psalm.

Offertories have a half-way position, both stylistially and functionally between the processional chants (introit, communion) and the meditational chants (gradual, alleluia). They accompany some activity, incensation as at the introit and the offertory procession (though this procession was not prevalent in the middle ages; it is a revival from the 20th century). In the Middle Ages, the extent of time required for the longer verses may have been the fact that incensation sometimes provided that members of the choir were incensed individually.

The offertory is a time that provides a few moments of recollection and repose between the two major parts of the Mass. It is preceded by the series of lessons, possibly a sermon, and the Credo, all activities with many words. After the offertory there is the centrally significant action of the preface, the Sanctus, and the Canon. Between these two parts, the offertory provides some reflection, some repose. This is well projected by the offertory chant, with its melismatic verse. Here the musical style suggests meditation: offertories are somewhat more melismatic than introits and communions, and there is a modicum of end-melisma, in my view, the hallmark of meditation chants. (End melisma is simply the placement of a somewhat long melisma upon the unaccented final syllable of a word, especially of a whole sentence.)

The melismatic offertory verses deserve considerable attention; they are an authentic part of the heritage of Gregorian chant from the earliest period of musical notation; the presence of staffless neumes in the Offertoriale triplex is witness to their antiquity. They are sometimes highly expressive and include repetitions fo text not usually in offertory responsories. Perhaps the most spectacular set of verses is that for the offertory Vir erat (27th Sunday in Ordinary Time in OF, 21st Sunday after Pentecost in EF). The offertory in our graduals is hardly sufficient textually, since it only sets the scene for the narrative which proceeds in the four melismatic verses. These verses include significant repetitions, on "calamitas" in the first verse and "ut videat bona," an effective conclusion to the whole narrative in the fourth verse. Look at this series of verses in the Offertoriale, p. 122 on our website.

I do not object to the singing of offertory verses to psalm tones, as long as it is understood that this is a temporary solution to providing a long enough offertory to suit the liturgical action, in the absence of the ability to sing the melismatic verses. It is not the proper chant, but only a substitute; this contrasts with the psalm-tone verses for the communiosn, which are the proper way to sing verses to communion antiphons. I would recommend trying some of the melismatic verses; they can be sung by one or two capable cantors in alternation with the choir singing of the responsory. This is a beautiful and effective way to make a musical complement to the liturgy of the offertory.
    Thanked by 1jchthys
  • mahrt
    I must apologize to Richard Rice; when I wrote the comments above, I was responding to the citations from de musica sacra and the rubrics of the Liber Usualis, and I had not read the preface of Richard's book of offertory verses, where he makes several of the points I made above, concerning the psalm-tone verses being only a substitute for the authentic verses.

Richard's settings point out something that I had not otherwise noticed, that the offertory verses are often tripartite, not bipartite as most psalm verses are. They comprise more text than a single psalm verse. This is in striking contrast to verses of graduals, which in general are a single integral psalm verse. Thus he has had to set them to a tripartite psalm tone, repeating the medial cadence and the reintonation figure in the course of a single verse; the precedent for this, of course, is the Gloria Patri of the introits, but as one looks at his verses, it stands out that this is not how psalm verses generally look. It merely points out that the texts of the offertory verses must have been constructed specifically for these verses and not as the usual sequence of psalm verses.

Thank you, Richard.
  • With thanks to Prof. Mahrt, I hope no one mistakes the relative merits of any of my chant adaptations with that of the authentic repertoire. It is a distinction the CMAA website could perhaps make more transparent than it currently does. Elsewhere we have discussed reorganizing the materials presented here, and I hope some savvy web design type would volunteer for the job.

In the end, of course, it is up to individual music directors in concrete liturgical situations to determine what constitutes a "temporary solution", and what is, in fact, "the best we can possibly hope for here".
  • It's an excellent suggestion. Every day I intend to do this and then it never happens. Actually small changes happen often but big changes, wow, those can be all consuming.
  • Anhaga
    Thank you all for the comments, which are a lot more in detail than I expected for answers. I will take Prof. Mahrt's recommendation of trying melismatic Offertory verses into consideration. Happy New Year!
  • Anhaga
    I just found that Requiem Mass propers in Liber Usualis retain verses in Introit, Gradual, Tract, Offertory, and Communion.