Spirit and Song: is this sound doctrine?
  • Hi there, I am new to this website. I am wanting to know if the hymnal Spirit and Song is heretic or not. I feel like it is since most of the hymns are pointless and not about God but are about "I, me, mine". Also, one of the songs in the hymnal is called "Trading our sorrows for joy" which I feel is like not what the doctrine of the church says.
  • P.S.- It is one of the OCP hymnals and it is geared to my fellow YAs and teens.
  • jpal
    There's not an easy answer to that question. This recent thread might be helpful, if not definitive.

Jon
  • francis
    It probably has degrees (more or less).

Degrees of heresy

Both matter and form of heresy admit of degrees which find expression in the following technical formula of theology and canon law. Pertinacious adhesion to a doctrine contradictory to a point of faith clearly defined by the Church is heresy pure and simple, heresy in the first degree. But if the doctrine in question has not been expressly "defined" or is not clearly proposed as an article of faith in the ordinary, authorized teaching of the Church, an opinion opposed to it is styled sententia haeresi proxima, that is, an opinion approaching heresy. Next, a doctrinal proposition, without directly contradicting a received dogma, may yet involve logical consequences at variance with revealed truth. Such a proposition is not heretical, it is a propositio theologice erronea, that is, erroneous in theology. Further, the opposition to an article of faith may not be strictly demonstrable, but only reach a certain degree of probability. In that case the doctrine is termed sententia de haeresi suspecta, haeresim sapiens; that is, an opinion suspected, or savouring, of heresy (see THEOLOGICAL CENSURES).

I believe a lot falls into the category of third degree, but wanders into the other three (in degrees, so to speak). Then again, if the publication does not openly profess to be authentically Catholic (such as some from WLP and others) and it has no obligation to carry Catholic thought and theology, then we have no control over its content, only control over whether or not it is allowed in the pews of Catholic Churches. It's quite a problem and similar to the problem with colleges that are Catholic in name but not in practice.

Ban questionable books and teachers/practitioners that espouse them from our buildings and institutions. Pure and simple. It's quite easy to fix the newel post! It just takes courage. (That is a whole 'nother matter however; for more about courage, look up the thread on Bishop Sample.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IcFNiNDb8E

More here:

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/07256b.htm

"‘All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
    Thanked by 1teachermom24
  • I'd be careful throwing around the H-bomb too loosely. It has a very specific meaning. If a composer/poet could possibly have had an orthodox interpretation to their words, you should assume that.

That doesn't mean that most of the music in Spirit and Song is good, or appropriate for the liturgy, but something can be inappropriate yet not heretical.
  • Scott_WScott_W
    something can be inappropriate yet not heretical.

Words to live by.
    Thanked by 5JL Liam chonak Ben Gavin
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Unless a song says something like...

*strum strum strum* "Blessed Virgin Mary was a nice person but was born with original sin..." *strum strum strum*

I'd stay away from using the word heretical. Just call poor music what it is, and music with questionable theology what it is. "That song has questionable theology," will lead to far less heated arguments than "that song is HERETICAL!"
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • CharlesW
    I hear they are not sleeping so well at OCP of late.
    Thanked by 2francis marajoy
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    *strum strum strum* "Blessed Virgin Mary was a nice person but was born with original sin..." *strum strum strum*

My Church of Christ friends would really dig that. Is there a version without the strumming?
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Mary, Did You Know - Organ Edition
    Thanked by 2Heath Mark Husey
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Gentlepersons,
    May I aquaint you with the correct terminology provided us by our Chant Cafe friend, Ms The Old Biddy?
    The correct euphemism for poor guitar skills is: "Strummy Strummy."
    Thank you for your kind consideration.
    Thanked by 1Chris Allen
  • Scott_WScott_W
    The correct euphemism for poor guitar skills is: "Strummy Strummy."

I thought it was "capo". :D
    Thanked by 1Chris Allen
  • Here is what the lyrics are.

I'm trading my sorrow
    I'm trading my shame
    I'm laying it down for the joy of the Lord

I'm trading my sickness
    I'm trading my pain
    I'm laying it down for the joy of the Lord

[Chorus]
    And we say yes Lord yes Lord yes yes Lord
    Yes Lord yes Lord yes yes Lord
    Yes Lord yes Lord yes yes Lord Amen

I'm pressed but not crushed persecuted not abandoned
    Struck down but not destroyed
    I'm blessed beyond the curse for his promise will endure
    And his joy's gonna be my strength

Though sorrow may last for the night
    His joy comes in the morning.
  • Bad poetry and just plain goofy.
    Thanked by 2Adam Wood Spriggo
  • Scott_WScott_W
    It's stillborn doggerel, but not heretical. The music that goes with it is sentimentalist secular therapeutic culture, but since it is not explicit the purveyors of this schlock can conveniently dive down the subjectivist escape hatch.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • chonakchonak
    Here's the music video by CCM group "Third Day":
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRU1438pzzE

This song is not appropriate for use in the Mass, for several reasons:

(a) it is in a secular style of pop music -- entertainment music designed for dancing. This song was designed for performance in concerts, not for church. It has no relation to the Mass. There's no logical place to use it in the Mass. If you did, it would become a huge interruption, taking over the event instead of serving the sacred liturgy.

(b) it uses irregular rhythms -- there is no way a general congregation can sing this **together**

(c) it's more about "me" and "I" than about God.

(d) Its theological meaning is unclear, and perhaps problematic. It speaks of "trading" one's sickness and pain to God in exchange for joy. This does not respect the value of Christian suffering, in which one finds joy and practices charity in the midst of our sufferings. There are certain types of Protestant theology with a distorted approach to suffering, and perhaps this song reflects some of that influence.

Incidentally, there is criticism of this song even from some Evangelicals for its theological unclarity and also for its repetitive emptiness. A net search for "trading my sorrows theology" may bring such discussions up.
    Thanked by 2Gavin teachermom24
  • GavinGavin
    I'm glad to see someone besides me is discouraging use of the h-word.

I think the great "sin" (figuratively) of so much of this sort of music is vagueness. It really says nothing. Then again, I think the same "sin" is committed by those who use the word "heresy" as a placeholder for "I don't like it."
  • chonakchonak
    Well, to me, that's just a matter of accuracy: heresy (in Catholic morality and canon law) consists of denying or obstinately doubting one or more dogmas: i.e., truths which the Church presents to the faithful as divine revelation.

Not just any doctrinal incoherence is enough to qualify for the word "heresy".
  • chonakchonak
    Hey, maybe I have a new guideline:

If the pieces that you add to the Mass have music more appealing than the music of the Mass itself, *something is wrong*. Such a situation makes the Mass look boring by comparison.

Is this a sensible rule?
  • GavinGavin
    "If the pieces that you add to the Mass have music more appealing than the music of the Mass itself, *something is wrong*. Such a situation makes the Mass look boring by comparison.

Is this a sensible rule?
    "

I don't think so.

My full reply would be long and an entirely different topic altogether. Although I would temper your rule that maybe the music at Mass ought to have its appeal be the degree to which it IS part of the Mass. For example, florid Graduals or a well-chosen motet. These express the mystery being celebrated, and while the Mass is added to by the beauty of the music, the beauty being experienced is just the beauty of the Mass.

One might conceive of it like an illuminated manuscript. Insofar as the illumination brings the text to life, it is beneficial. If it sends a different message than the text, the illumination is only harmful.
    Thanked by 2chonak teachermom24
  • One might conceive of it like an illuminated manuscript. Insofar as the illumination brings the text to life, it is beneficial. If it sends a different message than the text, the illumination is only harmful.

My son is preparing to enter some photos in an exhibition and has carefully chosen the frames for this purpose--the right frame can bring the photo to life; the wrong one can kill it. The photo determines the right frame, not the other way around.
  • @teachermom24, now that was probably one of the most profound statements I have heard in long while!
    Thanked by 1JacobFlaherty
  • Well, keep in mind that this is part of the SJSU Newman Club, which I was part of, and it is full of Young Adults. So stop suggesting latin.
  • jpal
    1. I missed something. Who is suggesting Latin?

2. I used to be the music director for a campus ministry. One year I had the guys in the "contemporary" choir learn the In paradisum for All Souls' Day. Didn't make a big deal out of it, just had them get up and sing it (and sing it well) at the end of communion. Not only did they love learning it, but it was so well-received and many students were begging for more. I think it was, for many of them, their first exposure to any Gregorian chant besides Agnus XVIII. (And those choir guys never could get enough Latin after that.)
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    Why would young adults be averse to music with Latin texts? I'm a young adult who loves it.
  • Scott_WScott_W
    Why would young adults be averse to music with Latin texts? I'm a young adult who loves it.

And if I may interject an anecdote, the only time I've ever heard someone object to singing Latin was a baby-boomer coming out of a discussion group on the new translation. Her problem? We sang the Gloria in Latin. Just the first line of it as a refrain mind you, the rest of it in English. Get that? One line which every English-speaking Christian on the planet should know from singing "Angels We Have Heard on High" at Christmas was somehow a harbinger of the destruction of the Church. :)
  • canadashcanadash
    This is not my favourite interpretation, but look at the age of these young men. And they seem to be enjoying the music. If you put "Secut Cervus" into Youtube, it is amazing how many choirs of young people sing it. It is Latin. It is very old. It is beautiful and appropriate for the Mass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wkq_qe5vsU
    Thanked by 3gregp Adam Wood Scott_W
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Well, be very careful with "Angels We Have Heard on High". I once inadvertently annoyed a Methodist parishioner by using the popish pronunciation of excelsis.
  • Scott_WScott_W
    the popish pronunciation of excelsis.

Ok, I'll play--what's the Methodist pronunciation?
  • The Methodists use excel, Sis, but the Catholics use egg shells, is.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Methodists use excel

I've been trying to get Episcopalians to switch to Google Docs.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I once inadvertently annoyed a Methodist

and who hasn't, really?
    Thanked by 2Ben Andrew Motyka
  • canadashcanadash
    What's a Methodist?
  • I once inadvertently annoyed a Methodist
    and who hasn't, really?

I've never inadvertently annoyed a Methodist. I am very deliberate in my annoyances.
    Thanked by 2Adam Wood Scott_W
  • CharlesW
    Don't annoy Methodists. You might get sprinkled. ;-) Presbyterians are much more deserving of annoyance.
    Thanked by 1Liam
  • Methodists use excel

I've been trying to get Episcopalians to switch to Google Docs.

Then I figure at the Vatican they have just upgraded to Lotus 1-2-3.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Methodists are a group of believers who are really Catholics that haven't found their way home yet.

Catholics shouldn't use egg shells ... those are for high school and community choruses. The should use eck shells.
    Thanked by 1Liam
  • CharlesW
    CHG, I tend to agree on the Methodists. I have found common ground with them on many Catholic beliefs.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    CW ... I used to be one of them thar critters.
  • CharlesW
    My mother was Methodist. Consequently, I do understand them well.
  • Bobby Bolin
    To me it seems like Spirit and Song is a way of keeping teens and young adults in the Catholic faith by appealing to their sense of "good music," rock, pop, folk, whatever. What they don't realize is that the teens and young adults don't like it anyway because it is still "church music," regardless of the style.

Like IrishTenor stated, why do we just assume young Catholics automatically do not like Latin, chant, organ, etc.? It seems like they at least respect that while they laugh at attempts like this.
  • francis
    I constantly "annoy" Catholics. (Maybe the better way to say it is to "challenge" them to live their own faith)
  • Liam
    Foregoing congregational singing at the end of Mass is, of course, not the same thing.
  • Scott_WScott_W
    What they don't realize is that the teens and young adults don't like it anyway because it is still "church music," regardless of the style.

Yes, we tend to treat teens like they have no powers of discernment which is nonsense because they can spot pandering from a mile away.
  • GavinGavin
    I should like to thank whomever changed the title of this thread to from "Is this heresy" to "is this sound doctrine"! It never occurred to me this way before, but perhaps what we ought to be asking ISN'T "Is this allowed to be sung at Mass?" but rather "Is this this best we can sing at Mass?"

And if it isn't, then don't!!!
    Thanked by 2Earl_Grey francis
  • chonakchonak
    [I changed the title to conform more closely to this part of the forum etiquette guidelines:]
    Members may not level insinuations of heresy, bad faith, or criminality against members; members should also avoid such inflammatory language against non-members.

Thanked by 2francis Adam Wood