Lumen Christi Gradual: English Chant for the Season of Lent
  • Hello All,

I've been making progress with cantor scores that will eventually comprise a complete companion edition to the Lumen Christi Missal. Here is a working draft of the Season of Lent:

ASH WEDNESDAY
    FIRST SUNDAY OF LENT
    SECOND SUNDAY OF LENT
    THIRD SUNDAY OF LENT
    FOURTH SUNDAY OF LENT
    FIFTH SUNDAY OF LENT

The Lumen Christi Gradual will be more than a cantor edition of the Lumen Christi Missal. The two books are fundamentally different, based upon their user. The Missal is a book for the pew, while the Gradual is a book for the choir or schola. Each book gives the user what it needs, respectively. The Gradual will be a complete English Gradual that supplies simple English chant settings for the entire church year. It will also contain the simpler and often abbreviated antiphons found in the Lumen Christi Missal "Simple Gradual" as well, but it will not neglect, in these cases, to provide a chant setting of the full proper text with ample Psalm verses.

So I welcome you to make use of these scores as this work develops, and, as always, I welcome your feedback.

Kindly,

Adam Bartlett
    (Editor: Simple English Propers, Lumen Christi Missal, Lumen Christi Gradual)
    Thanked by 1MariaRist
  • donr
    I have been using the communion antiphons every week since the missal has come out.
    I will be using the offertory and communion throughout Lent.

thank you for all of your hard work on this.

The only thing that I personally would like to see would be harmonization in SATB and SAB for the psalm verses in the cantor/choir edition and an organ score at some point.
  • Organ accompaniments? My parish would never even *look* at this Missal if it didn't have organ scores as well.

I'm using the Ash Wednesday antiphons tomorrow - should be great.
    Thanks for all the work you've put into the SEP and LC books.
  • Adam, are the "abbrevated antiphons" based on a liturgical book, or do the "abbrevations" have some other basis?