Pope Benedict XVI resigns???
  • wow what a shock!!!!
  • BenBen
    I know!
  • donr
    It should be interesting to see who his replacement is.
  • BenBen
    Burke...
  • Kathy
    Burke
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Nice to think locally, but also think globally. The last conclave, if anything, proved there are papabile (not Arinze or Pell necessarily) from the southern hemisphere whose worthiness is beyond reproach and with whom the Holy Spirit should be well-acquainted. And a caveat, certain Italians want "their church" back.
    And, no offense intended, "replacing" PapaRatzi is a physical and metaphysical impossiblity.
    Thanked by 2tomboysuze CHGiffen
  • It will not be Burke. It will not be an American. Thank God; we already think the world revolves around us.
  • May the Holy Spirit protect and guide us, in what feels to me, like a certain time of tribulation, hearing the news that the Pope, our hero of the liturgy, is resigning due to poor health.

Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • GavinGavin
    I'm curious to what extent Benedict can exert influence upon the papal selection process? Is he an elector?

It certainly raises some very interesting questions for the years to follow.
  • I hope he can be a guiding force. I pray that he can.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • He has no influence.

Except still being alive to observe. Seems like a very good decision on his part as a result.
  • I'm curious to what extent Benedict can exert influence upon the papal selection process? Is he an elector?

I believe that legally he would be able to vote for his successor, except for his age. Cardinals over 80 cannot vote. I doubt that Benedict will take part in the process; he is more humble than that.
  • CharlesW
    I saw a news release that stated Benedict will not take part in the selection of his successor.
  • From what I hear, his health is in such decline, that his lungs are barely functioning properly. I also read the release that he will not participate in any way or influence the outcome of the next pope. Very sad that he has declined so quickly! My most fervant prayers are with him!
    Thanked by 2tomboysuze CHGiffen
  • GavinGavin
    Anyone here ever direct a choir with your predecessor as a member?

I wouldn't want to be the next pope...
  • CharlesW
    Yes, and it is not always fun.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I wouldn't want to be the next pope...

I think that's the number one qualification, though...
  • jpal
    Adam,

Drat! That means I've been unqualified ever since grade school!
    Oh, and I know a lot of priests who are ipso facto excluded as well...
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • TCJ
    I have to say, the news really took me by surprise. Nobody ever expects a Pope to resign.
  • CharlesW
    Interestingly, I just saw in an article that his brother said Pope Benedict's doctor told him to not take any more transatlantic trips. Perhaps his health is the real factor, along with age.
  • This is what I heard as well. Apparently, he was instructed not to leave Italy. :(
  • Kathy
    That wasn't part of the job till recently. I suppose it is now, though.
  • Is anyone planning to include at next Sunday's mass any musical reference to the pope?
  • CharlesW
    Suggestions? I can't think of anything at the moment.
  • GavinGavin
    Christus Vincit seems appropriate. "To Jesus Christ Our Sovereign King". Oremus pro pontifice. The first and last of these are both in the Parish Book of Chant. Maybe the organist could play the Vatican national anthem for a postlude.

Just whatever you do, don't sing "Long Live the Pope". Please. Have some taste.
  • Since this coming Sunday is LENT I ... I hope no one is singing TJCOSK or anything of the like ...
    Thanked by 1marajoy
  • Liam
    A musical reference to the Pope on Lent 1 would be most inappropriate. How about A Mighty Fortress Is Our God? (running for cover....) Or Holy God We Praise Thy Name?
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • JDE
    I think I'll do Glorious Things of Thee Are Spoken (also running for cover).
  • So long as you include:

"Spare Thy people, Lord we pray
    by a thousand snares surrounded
    keep us free from sin today
    never let us be confounded
    Lo, my trust I place in thee
    never, Lord, abandon me."

I would be inclined to use "Shepherd of Souls, In Love, Come, Feed Us" (NEUMARK) I usually use it as a Communion Hymn, but it seems appropriate for both the liturgical season and given the circumstances of recent events.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • "Great things happen when God mixes with us"
    "Friends are like flowers"
    "If I were a butterfly"

Or maybe, it would be best to just sing the propers since that what he would want!
  • GavinGavin
    The propers? There's a familiar setting of psalm 91 in most hymnals....
  • chonakchonak
    Cdl. O'Connell's Holy Name Hymn has this:

Vs.4
    Up Christian soldiers, Christ who goes before us,
    Shows us His Cross and leads the way;
    Benedict. our Pontiff, guides and God is o’er us,
    Vict’ry is ours if we but watch and pray.
    Thanked by 2tomboysuze Jenny
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Richard, that works under O'Connor (O'Connell's) aegis. But I'd have to imagine Ratzinger would be mortified to think that such words were sung while he still takes breath.
    What he has done for the Church this day is redefine and legitimize a new perspective on "rest in peace." It now seems providential not only that his final date on the job is dedicated to the sick, but also comes on the heels of the beautiful song attributed to Simeon.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • well, since I'm a short timer now, I'm may just have the choir streak the parking lot carrying the papal flag.

878 x 471 - 106K
  • CharlesW
    I have been in situations where the only thing to do was follow scriptural advice. Shake the dust from my sandals and move on. It seems to me, that although the pastor and a few are not happy, you have created some genuine good will among many in the congregation. I hope that pays off for you in a better situation. God does snatch victory from seeming defeat. Again, prayers for you.
    Thanked by 3Kathy francis CHGiffen
  • All the discussion about who should be the pope moved me to write this blog post. I'm not writing against what was posted here, but what has primarily been written in the secular media and some in the Catholic media.
  • Misposted!
  • Blaise
    Well, thanks be to God, our outgoing Holy Father does have an indirect influence in the outcome of the next papal conclave, through the sheer amount of cardinals he has created.
  • The next pope is in God's will.

• Kathy
    Who among the likeliest cardinals is interested in liturgical reform?
  • marajoymarajoy
    There are no "likely cardinals." It's just as likely to be someone completely unexpected as it is to be one of the "likelies."
    Thanked by 2CharlesW CHGiffen
  • Well yes ... and no.

John Allen did a great piece about "Conclave Myths," and he pointed out, I think rightly so, that often the one who enters a conclave a pope DOES come out a pope.

Although John Paul II was a surprise, Ratzinger was a favorite going in. The field this time is, I think, less clear - but that doens't mean that there are no favorites.
    Thanked by 2francis CHGiffen
  • chonakchonak
    Cdl. Ranjith appears to be working on liturgical reform, following the thinking of Pope Benedict XVI. He was previously secretary of CDWDS, appointed in 2005.
    Thanked by 1tomboysuze
  • I do think that we will be "ok," so to speak, even if the next pope doesn't have as much of a passion for reform.

I doubt that the next pope will be of such a different mindset that he will undo things that Pope Benedict has done. To do so would almost amount to saying that Benedict was wrong.

Also, Pope Benedict has already made enough moves that will last a long time, the recent appointment of the new Archbishop of Portland being one of them.

Finally, just because there will be a new pope, that doesn't mean that the people who advise him and help him will change, at least not overnight. So episcopal appointments, including (and especially) those in the USA, will continue to bear the stamp of Cardinal Burke for the forseeable future, and he has been behind some of the good recent appointments.

For evidence of this, look at some of the "interesting" picks made by John Paul II at the beginning of his papacy versus at the end. Same pope, different advisors and evolving Church ecclesiology.
  • francis
    B16 stacked the global bishopric 'cause he knows how the battle works. We will always have the weeds in the wheat, but fear not! In the end they get burned in the fire and we stand around, watch, keep warm and (I know Jesus talks about drinking wine with him in heaven, but) hopefully have a beer.
    Thanked by 1SouthernSam
  • Francis, this is one of the funnier, yet strangely cryptic posts I've read in a while. Let us pray that we are blest to be at his right hand.
    Thanked by 1francis
  • scholistascholista
    Grateful for eight years of the Simple And Humble Laborer in the Lord's Vineyard.
  • Blaise
    I've never had beer, but surely there will be champagne in heaven. :)