My prayers are working faster than anticipated
  • My DM, and wife, asked me tonight about which settings of the propers I use for my personal devotions, and printed of the Introit propers for all of Lent tonight with the plan to use them as a prelude (because our priest does not want an opening, processional hymn for lent). She of course needs to get this passed on by the pastor, but progress is still progress. I only just recently started to get behind the idea of chant and have been praying for its use at my church. I must say I am surprised and how quickly these prayers are being answered. We are also using a Proulx chant for the Gospel acclamation during Lent, as well as singing the Parce Domine for a second communion hymn. Praise be to God!
  • As a follow up, yesterday we chanted the introit from the SEP prior to the procession (not the right place I know, but better than nothing). Then we sang a Gelineau setting of the psalm, a Proulx gospel acclamation, and the Parce Domine. My wife was concerned about the reaction she would get from all of this chant; I have to say, though that the mood in church yesterday was so much more profound than I have ever experienced. Later on in the day, my wife got a text message from our liturgy director which said that the pastor really enjoyed the music liturgy of the mass! Our parish has long been a "Gather" parish so this is a big step for us. I will be curious to see if we can keep it going after Lent, or if we will be asked to revert back to are "normal" music style.
  • BenBen
    Whole its good to get the foot in the door, I'd be careful it isn't perceived as a Lenten thing. Sometimes that can make bit even harder, and turn peoples attitudes about chant into a mode that's even less accepting other times of the year, because it is seen as a "Lenten thing"
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood