Chant recordings
  • I just realized today that I don't really know what chant recordings to recommend to my schola for listening exercises. I really like the Schola of the Hofburgkapelle Wien but their Gregorian Chant for the Church Year is no longer available anywhere. Too bad. So, I throw out to the chantosphere this question. What are your favorite chant recordings?

moconnor
  • Jscola30
    What kind of material are you looking for (hymns, propers, mass settings)?
  • Doesn't matter. As long as it's done well.

moconnor
  • It's a good question, but I would narrow it: which recordings are the best classical Solesmes style, without accompaniment, and consistent with the the Graduale?
  • Pes
    Solesmes under Gajard?

I'll speak up for Hubert Dopf leading the Schola of the Hofburgkapelle in Vienna in 1983. "In Conceptione immaculata B. Mariae Virginis" is the title, on Philips I believe, and unfortunately rather hard to find now. Aside from a few idiosyncracies of Austrian pronunciation (a few s's and g's), they run a clinic, pitch things comfortably for baritones, and sing a fine set: a good selection of mainly Marian antiphons, followed by Mass IX and the Propers for the Feast of the Immaculate Conception. A very nice Salve Regina (solemn tone) ends it.

I've heard a "Haec dies" from the monks at Einsiedeln that made my jaw hit the floor. Next time I'm across the pond, I'll make a point of looking or any discs by them.
  • Jscola30
    My favorite recording was one I found in Italy called Exaltabo Te Domine by the Schola Gregoriana Mediolanenis, don't know if you can find it in this country. Any of the ones from Solesmes are good. I would reccomend Gregorian Anthology, you get not only text but also music in the booklet. I also have the Vespers and Compline, another good one. There's Ego Sum Ressurectio by the Aurora Surgit (a female vocal ensemble, with a male soloist), a sort of Novus Ordo Requiem (uses new Graduale for the introit, fully sung pater noster, euch. prayer II in latin, and the mem. acclamation, however 2 readings, sequence and all the rest). It is really the full requiem mass, readings and all, basically with no homily. You may remeber on another forum I reccomended this and it turned into a big bruhaha. Although some of its in English, I would say Sublime chant by the Cathedral Singers under Richard Proulx. It was recorded in a really acoustically live church, very nice.
  • Jscola30
    Whoops, should add Women in Chant, by the Abbey of Regina Laudes, conducted by Ted Marier. Also, Salve Regina by the Benedictine Monks of the Abbey of St.-Maurice and St. Maur Clervaux, maybe not the cleanest version and has some organ acc., but i like it. Yes, I do like some of the recordings by the monks of Silos, prolly my favorites being the Soul of Chant (mass settings), Gregorian Book of Silos (Requiem Mass, Missa Cum Jubilo, others) and Silos: Their Finest Chants, again perhaps not the cleanest and with organ acc. ,but I still like them
  • I do have that Phillips recording of the Hofburgkapelle. It is very nice. Thanks for some of the other suggestions.

Jeffrey, yes, I think I'm looking for Solesmes method a capella. I want to make a good demo for my group to listen to and try to emulate. There's nothing like a good model!

I like the Solesmes recordings, but there's something about them that bugs me. I can't put my finger on it. Maybe it's the breathy tone...

moconnor
  • Jscola30
    Well I think you got to remember that often these recordings are done by monks who aren't professional singers, so there's bound to be something not right. Anyone every pick up any of the CDs by Cantores in Ecleisia (or how however you spell it)?
  • Pes
    If we're not talking classic Solesmes, try:

- Schola Gregorian Pragensis (Prague, dir. David Eben)
    - Nova Schola Gregoriana (Verona?, dir. Alberto Turco)
    - Aurora Surgit (all-women, Verona?, dir. Alessio Randon)
    - Ensemble Organum (dir. Marcel Pérès)

I've only heard clips of Cantores in Ecclesia and Gloriae Dei Cantores.
  • Pes
    monks who aren't professional singers, so there's bound to be something not right

Technically.
  • Well, yes, I know that they are not professional singers, but I think there is a taught quality that bugs me a little. It's not that big a thing, but I just prefer some other groups' sounds.

moconnor
  • Pes
    Michael, I agree. I was responding to jscola's comment. I often wonder about this myself. Why is it that some singing strikes us as "too" polished? What exactly do we mean when we say that some singing is "technically flawless but lacks soul"? Are we just romanticizing imperfection? Is it that technical skill cannot cover insincerity? What's involved in judging the sincerity of singing?
  • I agree about the latest Solesmes recordings. To me it doesn't sound unified. sounds dominated by a single voice -- which is what you get when there is confusion over method. In any case, they lack something...
  • What I like about the Hofburgkapelle Wien sound is that that sound is full, they move together and yet it still sounds like prayer.

moconnor
  • marek
    Check out this list.
  • RobertRobert
    The recordings by the Nova Schola Gregoriana under Turco are my favourites: meticulous semiological interpretations by a small schola, sung in perfect unison, with just the right amount of expression. Obviously, though they would not work as "listening exercises" for a parish schola.

The Solesmes recordings under Gajard, particularly from the 50s and 60s would work well for this purpose; for that matter, the popular recordings by the monks of Santo Domingo de Silos are straightforward classical Solesmes. I have a CD entitled "The Soul of Chant" by the latter containing several of the best-loved ordinaries that would be perfect for such a use if not for the organ accompaniment on most of the selections.
  • Yes, I agree about Santo Domingo de Silos, which I like better than Gajard only because the quality of recording is better, though Gajard's have their own amazing charm.
  • IanWIanW
    Jeffrey,

It's a good question, but I would narrow it: which recordings are the best classical Solesmes style, without accompaniment, and consistent with the Graduale?

Might you wish to qualify or clarify this? The danger with a good example in the age of mass comunication is that it becomes normative, at the expense of diversity.
  • Ok, I might have added: for pedagogical and inspirational value in the goal of achieving the same in Catholic parishes.

By the way, I just finished listening to a recording called Jubilate Deo--which in fact is the entire Jubilate Deo--sung by Canti Gregoriani at S. Anselmo in Roma, directed by P. Notker Wolf. It is issued by Liberia Editrice Vaticana. The date on it is 1991 but I get the strong impression that it was recorded in 1975 for the specific purpose of helping people learn these chants in anticipation of an international liturgy.

I can recall not liking this recording because the tempos are too slow. And yet as I listen now, I'm impressed with the clarity of diction, the precision in pitch, and the consistency of sound. Really, from a technical point of view, it is outstanding. Yes, the tempos are too slow but since the recording was made to teach people, I can see some value in this. It's pretty good overall then. I can see how this approach would become a bit dull if it were only sung like this.
  • IanW, I agree but at the moment I want to offer my group a model of a particular style. Most of the guys are intelligent enough to explore other approaches (listening) after they get more acquainted with the idiom. This is, after all, what every group does. Its leader has a vision and molds the group in that direction. I wish I had a better voice for them to model, but I use what I can.

I liked the Turco recordings too, but their approach would be tough to emulate by beginners! I need to learn more about their semiological approach too. For example, what is "semiological" about it? What "signs" are studied (and by extension realized)?

moconnor
  • RobertRobert
    moconnor:

The signs studied would be the notation from early manuscripts. The Graduale Triplex is the book to go to for this: it shows the standard neumes with the notation from two representative manuscripts overlaid. Here's the Da Pacem introit as it appears in the Graduale Triplex:

There is little point in most scholas bothering about this stuff. Classical Solesmes method is really the only way to keep everyone on the same place. I have to say though that the results of a compelling interpretation well-executed, as on the Turco recordings, can be spectacular.
  • Jscola30
    Hey how about those cds by solemes, the popular gregorian melodies, they correspond to the Liber Cantualis? Anyone try those?
  • IanWIanW
    I guess the confusing thing about the term "semiological" is that it means different things to different people, even in music, e.g. to what extent is its use in relation to plainsong studies similar to that of Ruwet and Nattiez in other areas of music analysis? But I guess that's a digression, except for the opportunity to agree with Robert and observe that, while interesting, it's not of direct use when it comes to moconnor's practical needs.

I don't have a problem with "Classical Solesmes" - quite the opposite: I love it, and if we're going to have a pedagogical framework, we could do much worse. I would just suggest that we read and listen widely, and be prepared to accept practical and artistic virtue in others' approaches and oral traditions.
  • OK. Perhaps I need to do some reading up on this, but when I look at the image you posted, I see two sets of neumes -- one heighted and the other unheighted -- in addition to the square notation. What "meanings" (if you can offer an example) are derived from these extra data. Sorry if this seems like a simple question from someone who should know, but my work is mostly in polyphony. I am becoming more and more interested in chant studies, though.

felix dies Nativitatis

moconnor
  • One thing to note about the triplex: it is the culmination of the efforts of none other than Dom Mocquereau, who was first to publish books of images of early chant manuscripts in an effort to encourage and further research. This is the same Mocquereau who was the great pioneer in understanding the workings of chant rhythm. It is not the case that he was somehow "hiding" early manuscripts as a way of pushing the early Solesmes editions as the definitive ones; on the contrary, he was an advocate, a champion, of progress in all areas of chant studies, and, in this respect, he went much farther than Pothier.

As to his rhythmic arguments, we should also understand that he was not pushing some simplified method as a means of keeping parish scholas together; he was making a fundamental argument about the musical nature of chant itself. The semiological position, in the writings I've encountered, dispute that he is right about the general nature of chant rhythm. This claim, while it uses early manuscripts as the basis of his argument, is neither proven nor refuted by them, since Mocquereau himself had access to the greatest collection ever assembled.

I really don't know enough to say, but if I were pressed to offer an opinion on this matter in dispute (and no one is pressing me but I'll say it anyway!), I would say that it comes down to one's view of what Gregorian music--and music itself--was and should be, that is, about the intrinsic features of music itself. Having read in Mocquereau's big book on the subject, I find his position incredibly compelling, or, at least not obviously wrong in the way that pop-semiologists claim.
  • My friend and parish music director, Noel Jones, has stuck a toe into the waters of internet radio, with a live365 station called Gregorian Chant Lives (http://www.live365.com/stations/sjnmusicnj)

At the moment he and I have uploaded close to six hours' worth of selections from professional recordings, but our goal is to air noncommercial recordings submitted by U.S. chant scholas. The only example of that he has so far is a recording (made under less-than-ideal conditions) of a Communio chanted at Mass by a quartet of which I'm a member.

In any case, this is an invitation to all who would like to submit mp3s for inclusion on the site. As each track plays, the name of the performing ensemble is displayed, along with its home town.

Please e-mail me if you're interested--or have any questions.
  • Mary, great idea.

Happy Feast of St. Stephen

moconnor
  • As someone in the early stages of learning chant myself, if you are interested in excellent CDs that follow the Solesmes style, I would highly recommend O Lux Beatissima, by the Cantores in Ecclesia, under the direction of Dean Applegate. The chants on the CD include what most just-starting-out scholas might want to begin with: Asperges; two ordinaries (Simplex and de Angelis); Pater Noster; O Salutaris Hostia; Jesu Dulchis Memoria; Ubi Caritas; Ave Verum Corpus; Adoro te Devoto; etc. etc. The renditions are excellent models of pitch, rhythm, legato, and expression.

A second (less enthusiastic) recommendation is Plain Song of Parishes, which includes ordinaries for the six most common Mass settings, as well as two Credos; and a small number of common chants such as the Asperges me; Myesterium Fidei; Tantum Ergo; etc. The CD serves an excellent model of pitch and Classic Solesmes style, but so focuses on precision that to me it sounds a little stilted and technical, without the fullness and rich smoothness and legato of the above-mentioned O Lux Beatissima CD.

As your schola moves into doing propers, the extensive set of L'anne liturgique en Chant Gregorien CDs by the Schola Bellarmina offers a Classic Solesmes model of all the propers of the Sundays of the Liturgical year (Advent, Christmas, Epiphany, Lent, Holy Week, Pentecost, and all of Ordinary time). They also have CDs for eighteen sets of Ordinaries. They are beginning to offer CDs for major Feasts. There is a quiet organ accompaniment for all but the Graduals, which for me has never posed a problem. It seems to me that their fidelity to the Classic Solesmes style is excellent, as are their pitch and legato. (I wish they had pitched the chants, perhaps a half-step lower.) The full set costs over $300 -- I have known of at least two parishes that have a set in their music library for use by their schola.

Brian
  • Jscola30
    I just picked up the two Popular Gregorian Melodies. Highly Reccomended!
  • David AndrewDavid Andrew
    May I put in a plug for the recordings by Fr. Columba Kelly, OSB, and the schola of St. Meinrad?

(St. Meinrad is a foundation of Einseideln, mentioned above).
  • Just got my copy of O lux beatissima with Cantores in Ecclesia. Brian was right on the money. This is a great model. It's mostly a capella, it has men's and women's scholas, and it sounds like a level that a group of good amateur singers could reach with proper training. CMAA should put this one in the store, I think.
  • Oh I wish we could be we don't really have a warehouse or an ordering system or anyone to send things out. We have to rely on the new technology that outsources all these functions.

Actually, I think if people knew how few resources the CMAA truly has, there would be widespread shock.

By the way, reviews of the new issue of SACRED MUSIC have been very good, which is just great.
  • Understood. Can't wait to get that Winter issue...
  • gregpgregp
    I have some comments about the new issue. Is this forum a proper place for that?
  • I think there is a thread on it somewhere.
  • Go to CMAA notes. that's probably best
  • Dove
    Like Brian Kiernan, I also have the CDs by the Schola Bellarmina and find them very helpful when learning new propers. They do use the organ a lot. The incipits are a capella and the organ usually comes in after that. They sing very well however, and I would recommend spending the money on the propers. I don't have the other recordings.
  • I would like to find a source from which to purchase a CD which includes Mass XVII, preferably by the monks of Le Barroux, as that was recommended to me for a young girls' schola (12-15 y.o.) Any help would be welcome and appreciated. Perhaps the monks' website if anyone has that? Thanks so much.
  • Jscola30
    Well I finally bought the cantores in ecclasiea cd. Even though I have tons of chant recordings, I wanted to see what the all the fuss was about. It truly is great. Having boys, men, girls, and women you get a true sense of the sonic possibilities. The sound is very clean. I highly reccomend this.
  • On our net radio station Gregorian Chant Lives! which has been renamed Chant American! you not only can preview recordings you might find of merit, but the information about them is also displayed on the screen.
    Gloriae Dei Cantores has kindly sent us 6 CDs and we have uploaded 36 tracks by them for listening. It is free to listen to the station.

We do have a goal of having American Chant up there all the time, sp please send us your CD's....for the publicity you will receive but also to get the sound of chant on the air and to let Americans know that it can be done effectively by Americans!

noel at sjnmusic.com
    Chant America! http://www.live365.com/stations/sjnmusicnj
  • Just heard a couple of good chant recordings from Schola Speciale. I believe a couple of our regular posters are on these recordings. Very well done indeed! I heard "Selected Chants of Advent and Christmas Cycle" and "Selected Chants of Lent and the Sacred Triduum". These were done after (or during) the Rensselaer Program for Church Music and Liturgy.

I'm always surprised to the word Rensselaer used outside of the Tri-cities area of upstate NY!
  • a1437053a1437053
    Does anyone know more about this web site?

http://www.christusrex.org/www2/cantgreg/index_eng.html
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    a1437053, That site used to post .wav files, but is much more useful now that they are posting mp3's.

By the way, Quis Non Amantem is worth a listen for those who want to hear chant. (naturally I am biased) Artistotle reviewed it on his blog .
  • mjballoumjballou
    I listened to the clips of Cantores in Ecclesia. I like the tempo, but I felt there was a little too much reverb. Now I just have to check out all the others that people mentioned. Turco's women's ensemble, In Dulci Jubilo is fantastic, btw.
  • VickiW
    # a1437053, I belong to a schola that just stared up this past September. Most of us have relied heavily on those dear, dear monks who are doing the singing. Since these files were recorded live at Mass, you do hear varying amounts of background noise, but most are clear enough to be very useful. Occasionally, a proper is missing an audio file, as was the case this past Sunday, but on the whole, the collection is quite complete.
  • Pes
    Hubert Dopf led a very fine incarnation of the Hofburgkapelle in a recording from '83, the title of which I can't remember. It focuses on Marian chants, features Mass IX and the propers for the Immaculate Conception (save the Gradual, I think), and has a superb Salve Regina (solemn). Their diction is German in some places, but their blend, breathing, and overall sense of prayer is, at least to me, very powerful -- and I think superior to the more recent recordings of the Hofburgkapelle.

David Eben's Schola Pragensis (Prague) is also excellent. They're not classic Solesmes, btw.
  • chonakchonak
    May I shamelessly plug olbash's recent CD, including the voices of incantu, randolph nichols, and some other forum participants? Here's the video.

Oh, I just did.
  • a1437053a1437053
    a1437053, That site used to post .wav files, but is much more useful now that they are posting mp3's.

By the way, Quis Non Amantem is worth a listen for those who want to hear chant. (naturally I am biased) Artistotle reviewed it on his blog .

Quis Non Amantem is beautiful. I was so very surprised to learn it was Jeff's own EF Nuptial Mass! And I became somewhat envious and embarrassed when I recalled the music I had at my wedding . . .

One more site: http://www.brazoschant.org/ has super clear chants. I fell in love with this practice rendition of "Ave Verum Corpus".
  • miacoyne
    a1437053 , I went to brazoschant.org. Is there any audio file I can listen to? I coudn't find any.
  • I like this very much... ordered two copies... one for me and one for our pastor :)