Tenebrae Chant books update
  • Hugh
    In case anyone has been vainly trying to find where my Tenebrae chant books (for Holy Thurs and Holy Sat only), they're downloadable from my web page at the top.

I made some minor amendments to them last year (couple of pointing issues) so even if you have them, you may like to refresh.

You'll also find there the "Lamentations" book (for all three days of the Triduum), containing the Roman Lamentation settings from the Liber plus the Mozarabic settings.

Thanks to Russ for alerting me to this issue and apologies to anyone who has been stranded on the false trail.
  • aldrich
    I have my own Tenebrae chant book printed for my choir, and in it I have included as ad libitum a setting of the Lamentations we assumed for a year to be of Spanish origin (having been heard and notated from a recording of the monks of Santo Domingo de Silos). Thanks to your Lamentationale, we were able to verify its Spanish provenance.
  • Hugh
    "Lamentationale" - love it!

Cheers
    Thanked by 1aldrich
  • aldrich
    You can call it

Lamentationale Romanum
    Mozarabicis modulationibus compositum
    Thanked by 2chonak CHGiffen
  • Hugh
    Concedo!
  • Simon
    Good that you brought your 'Lamentationale' into the spotlight Hugh. There is still too little awareness of the beauty of some of these Mozarabic melodies. Hopefully more will be sung during Holy Week this year.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • aldrich
    All our Lamentations are sung in one of these Mozarabic tones.
  • Hugh
    At last after many years, I've gotten round to completing a Tenebrae chant book series with a chant book for the Good Friday service. Available at my web page. Scroll down to Good Friday and click on the Choir Book link. I've also added a Dore bible illustration on the front of the Holy Thursday and Holy Saturday choir books for consistency but made no further changes to them.

As usual, any glitches in the books, please let me know.

Last thing I have to do is set Lessons 4 to 9 for Good Friday for cantors. That's a project for next year. (The Lamentations, Lessons 1 to 3 for Good Friday, are already available in the Lamentations book at the same place).

[ While you're there, if you're not familiar with them, introduce yourself to 2 motets for Lent we've pleasantly discovered this year: "Inter Vestibulum" by Penalosa (SATB) and "Peccantum Me Quotidie" by Crecquillon (SABar). I've put up pdfs and mp3s of our (not faultless!) rendition from Mass last Sunday of these. ]

All the best for your Holy Week/Easter choirs, everyone.

Hugh (director "Psallamus", Melbourne, Australia)
  • @Hugh: brilliant!
    I was asked by a priest to make a booklet for Good Friday Tenebrae to distribute to the congregation so they can follow, with the translation and all.
    You did the job. Thank you very much sir. Much obliged.
    And the illustrations are striking.