List of Published Propers in English
  • BenBen
    Frogman and I have put together this list as a resource of english propers for the OF.

http://blog.yankehome.com/index.php/projects/propers-resources/

If you have any other additions to the page, feel free to email me through my website, or PM me.
  • Frogman said, "Wouldn't it be great if there was a list sort of laid out like this?" and Ben did ALL the work, beautifully! Thanks, Ben, this is a GREAT resource!
  • This is indeed a great list! Wonderfully done, Ben!

Two suggestions for improvement:
    - for me it would also be useful to know the year of publication
    - the title of the Lumen Christi is "Lumen Christi Missal"

It's too bad the English settings of the Graduale Simplex chants by Aristotle Esguerra are no longer available online. Will they be up again any time soon, Aristotle?
    Thanked by 1Aristotle Esguerra
  • BenBen
    On my way out the door for DC, but I'll try and get those corrections done when I get back...
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    Looks great, Ben and Noel… bravo!

As I recall, doesn't the Palmer/Burgess also have Graduals, Tracts, and Gregorian Alleluias? (As in, not just entrance, offertory, and communion chants, per the title of the category there?)
  • lmassery
    I am also missing Aristotle's Simplex settings. I hope those will come back
    Thanked by 1Aristotle Esguerra
  • Heath
    Ben, this is wonderful! Next step (a daunting one): a full liturgical calendar with direct links to each Sunday's relevant chants. That would save all of us a lot of time!

Also, I don't see the Weber propers on the page . . . admittedly, the current repository for them is a darn mess, but they're fantastic!
  • One need in regard to the Palmer-Burgess is a complete index with cross references to the Liber Usualis, the current Graduale Romanum and the Anglican Use Gradual. I am working on this. Sometimes it is frustrating to find the right old-kalendar chant for the new-kalendar day in a book with no indeces.
    Thanked by 1Salieri
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    Weber propers… yes! We don't use them anymore, but they were a very nice start for us. And what a monumental effort that was… just as all of these resources are. I'm very thankful to have them available.
    Thanked by 1Kathy
  • SalieriSalieri
    I wonder how many people realise how lucky we in the sacred music field are today? In a way, we are lightyears ahead of where we were even before the Novus Ordo was promulgated insofar as simpler versions of the proper texts are concerned : its no longer just a choice between a psalm-tone or the 'full' chant, there's also the choice of simpler settings as well.

And the work of the CMAA and those associated with it are astonishing! How much does Jeff O. sleep on any given night? How much Bourbon must Jeff Tucker consume for breakfast to pen those marvelous essays for Sacred Music, The Wanderer or the Chant Cafe Blog? Not to mention the work of AOZ with the Parish Book of Chant, her translation of Maestro Brouers's Words with Wings. Adam Bartlett, Dom Columba Kelley, O.S.B., Dom Samuel Weber, O.S.B., and, of course, Catholic of the Year, Dr. William Peter Mahrt! The Hymn-tune Introits by Kathy and Chuck, the wonderful work of Ben with the Ferial English Propers, Ryan's SEP accompaniments, the list goes on, and on!

I for one, am very thankfull for all that these people have done, and countless others on this Forum. When I first joined the Forum in '09 almost none of these resources were available yet - its amazing to see the exponential growth in creativity in the Sacred Music world today!

Thanks to all of you for all you have done and continue to do!
  • Choral Graduale Simplex: Lent (includes table of contents)

Work in progress; bookmarking the link is recommended.

UPDATE 2013.01.28: Chrism Mass Introit and Communion added to the PDF.
  • BenBen
    Thanks, Aristotle! It looks great.
  • Dear Ben,

Would it be possible to add the LALEMANT PROPERS to your excellent list here?

http://blog.yankehome.com/index.php/projects/propers-resources/
  • BenBen
    Done!

By the way, if anyone else sees things not on the list currently, you can fill out this form with all the info, and I'll add it to the page. I had a few people request changes, but I can't find them anymore. If you sent me a message before and don't see something on the list yet, go fill out this form!
    Thanked by 1Paul_Onnonhoaraton
  • Carl DCarl D
    Some people have found the Colloquium recordings useful as well; would you want me to put together a specific index page for that? It's nowhere near complete, of course. More of just some excellent examples of large schola singing.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Wendi
  • BenBen
    I've added a few resources and made corrections in the last couple days, including Aristotle's expanded choral graduale simplex editions. If anyone has anything else they want to add, I'd love to make this a complete listing of english propers!
  • chonakchonak
    Wow: what a great list of resources! Would it be all right to add this to the CMAA site?
  • BenBen
    Go right ahead! Were you thinking a link, or copy and paste? I have been slowly adding to it, so a link might be better... (The graduale parvum is going up soon).
  • BenBen
    @chonak, If you really want to have the content onsite, email me and I have another solution that would probably work.
  • chonakchonak
    I've got this much up so far: Resources for singing propers in English.
    Thanked by 3Heath CHGiffen Ben
  • BenBen
    I'll send you an email shortly about an idea that I have.
  • Paul F. Ford
    Ben, you might want to correct the source of the By Flowing Waters as the editio typica altera (second typical edition) of the Graduale Simplex, whose date is 1975.

What a terrific resource you have created!
  • chonakchonak
    Dr. Ford, is the most recent English version of the Simple Gradual the 1968 edition, or is there a newer one?
  • Paul F. Ford
    No, Richard, the latest printing of the 1975 second edition is 1999.
  • chonakchonak
    Oops: just to clarify: I was referring to the ICEL Simple Gradual.
  • Paul F. Ford
    Richard, you are correct: ICEL never translated the second edition.
    Thanked by 1chonak