Help with Mass Propers for St. Scholastica and Benedictine saints
  • I am in need of the Propers of the Mass for St. Scholastica.
    The only one I have currently is a sequence.

I imagine that at some point Solesmes has published them in a particular book.
    Perhaps there is a book that specifically includes propers of the Mass for feasts proper to the Order of Saint Benedict?

I have a few scans from the "(11th c. Montecassino liturgy for St. Scholastica - found in fol. 46r of:
    Vatican, Biblioteca Apostolica Vaticana, MS Ott. lat. 576. Plenary missal. South Italian , circa 1100 AD )"

The scans appear to include at least two propers for scholastica. The problem with my scans is they are too hard for me to decipher from beneventan script and notation which was used in southern italy at the time.

Has anyone suggestions for me?
  • Protasius
    In the Liber Gradualis (1895) by Joseph Pothier OSB to Saint Scholastica is attributed the Common of Virgins (Commune virginis tantum, Missa Dilexisti) or where conceded special propers listed there pp. 406 et seq. of the PDF.

Introit: Surge propera, amica mea
    Gradual:Aquae multae
    Alleluja: Dilectus meus
    Tractus, if after Septuagesima: Inveni quem diligit
    Sequence: Emicat meridies
    Offertory:Intonuit Dominus
    Communion: Si manseritis in me
  • It seems to me that theres different propers attributed to be used for the Common of Virgins in each different edition of the Gradual and Liber !

You are recommending the selection that the 1895 suggests ?

In the 1961 edition of the Graduale Romanum I see what appears to be 3 different sets of mass propers for virgin saints...

This is a good learning process for me.
  • tomjaw
    Chris

For February 10th

Looking at two of my books, the Roman Graduale (1924) and Liber Usualis (1962) suggests Dilexisti as the Proper to be sung.

If you look up St Scholastica or Feb 10th in your 1961 Graduale it should suggest which of the 3 Propers you should use, The Liber will also give and proper collects.

If you look up the 1957 Missale Romanum (scroll down left hand column to find the book and then look through until you find Feb 10th) linked here you will find the complete Mass Propers for every feast.
    http://www.clerus.org/bibliaclerusonline/en/index.htm

I find it is easier to search the 1957 ed. on the above site rather than the 1962 ed. At the Bottom of this message is the text that you will find for the feast. Note this is an OCR text that does contain some typos.

N.B. For the Roman rite you should be doing Dilexisti, UNLESS your church or place has permission to use other Propers. If you have a Benedictine priest, or are in a Benedictine church you can use the Propers found in the Liber Gradualis including the Sequence, I presume they have not been changed in between 1895 and 1962.

Die 10 Februarii

S. SCHOLASTICAE

Virginis

Duplex

Missa Dilexísti, de Communi Virginum 3 loco, praeter Orationem sequentem.

Oratio

DEUS, qui ánimam beátae Vírginis tuae Scholásticae ad ostendéndam innocéntiae viam in colúmbae spécie caelum penetráre fecísti: da nobis ejus méritis et précibus ita innocénter vívere ; ut ad aetérna mereámur gáudia perveníre. Per Dóminum.

Et, in Quadragesima, fit Commemoratio Feriae in Missis non conventualibus.

Secreta

ACCÉPTA tibi sit, Dómine, sacrátae plebis oblátio pro tuórum honóre Sanctórum: quorum se méritis de tribulatióne percepísse cognóscit auxílium. Per Dóminum.

Et, in Quadragesima, fit Commemoratio Feriae, ut supra.

Postcommunio

SATIÁSTI, Dómine, famíliam tuam munéribus sacris: ejus, quaésumus, semper interventióne nos réfove, cujus solémnia celebrámus. Per Dóminum.

Et, in Quadragesima, fit Commemoratio Feriae, ut supra ; et de ea legitur Evangelium in fine, juxta Rubricas.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Kathy
    There is a series of books parallel to the Solesmes editions that contain monastic liturgical music.
    Thanked by 1Jeffrey Quick
  • Dear Chris, may I be so bold as to ask whether you would be willing to allow me to view the folio 46r? It happens that I am in Rome at present and forgot to bring my magic handshake for access to the BAV. Thanks for your consideration.

Jordan Sramek
    The Rose Ensemble
    Saint Paul, MN (USA)
    jordan@roseensemble.org
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • chonakchonak
    For OF Masses, there is a section in the back of the 1974 Graduale Romanum, pp. 859-876, with propers for the Benedictine order. You can download the book as a PDF from musicasacra.com .
  • tomjaw
    My 1924 Graduale has an appendix with the Benedictine supplement.

10 Feb, St Scholasticae
    Missa. Dilexisti vel, ubi concessa est, alia sequens.
    INT. Surge propera
    GRAD. Aquae multae
    ALL. Dilectus meus mihi
    Tract. Inveni quem diligit
    SEQ. Emicat merides
    OFF. Intonuit Dominus
    COMM. Si manseritis in me

The above propers are not used by all the Benedictine congregations.
  • Dear chonak and tomjaw,

Thank you very much for your kind suggestions. I am actually only looking to view folio 46r of BAV MS Ott. lat. 576

Jordan Sramek
  • chonakchonak
    OH, I'm sorry for the confusion. I was responding to the original post by Chris, which I now see was a few years old.

I'm not sure whether Chris has seen _your_ request, since he has not used the forum in recent months, but I will try to send him an e-mail letting him know of your interest.
  • That is so kind of you. Thank you.
  • tomjaw
    I have looked and this folio does not appear to be online.
  • tomjaw, you are correct. I have been unable to find it anywhere. This is the reason why I have been trying to contact Chris, who in his January 2013 posting, makes mention of having a scan of the folio.

Jordan
  • All the best singing for St Scholastica (if permitted). I shall be joining my sisters at Our Lady of the Rock OSB Shaw Island WA for First Vespers and Mass Feb 9 and 10 using the old Antiphonale Monasticum and Graduale texts . (Second Vespers gives way to First Vespers of Sunday I think this year.) For the best experience, one needs to familiarize oneself with the Life and Legend of St Scholastica to which antiphons, chapter, responsories, hymns, and mass propers allude.