Sequence for Ascension
  • I am looking for the sequence for Ascension in English. Does anyone have a link or PDF of it?
  • tomjaw
    The following is a metrical translation and could be sung to the original melody. I have the music of the sequence with the Latin...
    Translation from; “The LITURGICAL SEQUENCES of ADAM of ST. VICTOR, M. GAUTIER, trans; DIGBY S. WRANGHAM, MDCCCLXXXI.

1. Satan and the realms infernal Having spoiled, to joys supernal Christ returneth back once more:

2. As His upward way he wendeth, As before, when he descendeth, Angels set them to adore.

3. As above the stars He goeth, Here no more Himself He showeth, Bodily, to mortal sight;

4. But all rule to him is given, Who is with His Sire in Heaven One in majesty and might.

5. Victor now, from perils warded, He in heaven hath been accorded, Empire over all therein:

6. Nevermore shall He be dying, Nevermore through death supplying
    Means to purify man's sin.

7. Once for all He took our nature, Once He suffered, once, a creature, Was for sin content to die:

8. Further pain shall He know never, But, in perfect peace for ever, Compass endless joys on high.

9. Thus he spake, as He ascended; These things straitly He commanded, And impressed upon His own:

10. "Go through all the world and preach ye, Every nation therein teach ye Both by word and wonder done.

11. "For I go unto my Father, To return, as ye may gather, Since shall come a Comforter,

12. Who shall make you bold and fearless, Of all consequences careless, Eloquent in speech and clear.

13. "Those laid low by sickness on them, When ye lay your hands upon them, Shall their former health regain:

14. All things hurtful and annoying, With all deadly snakes, destroying, Ye shall drive out plagues and pain.

15. "Whosoever but believeth, And with simple faith receiveth Baptism's sure remedy,

16. Shall be cleansed from all transgression, And have with the saints possession Of eternal joys on high!" Amen.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen JPike1028
  • What tune was this sung to or was it chanted.
  • tomjaw: Where could I find the music, even if in Latin? I could transcribe it to make the English fit. Thanks for the help!
  • tomjaw
    I found the music here;
    “Les Proses d'Adam de Saint-Victor: Texte et Musique, by E. Misset and Pierre Aubry.”
    It is a Google book, I reset the music using Caeciliae font see pdf file below, we have modified the text and music for ease of use.

N.B. This sequence is also listed in some books for the Sunday within the Octave, in these books "Rex omnipotens die hodierna" is listed as the sequence for the day.
    Also the book of translations posted above is also a Google book.

Thanked by 2CHGiffen expeditus1
  • aldrich
    It seems this is among the Adamic sequences whose mother melody is that of "Lauda, Sion," mother melody not because it may be the oldest of all his sequences with this melody, but because it is the only sequence of his with this melody that remains in the 1962 Roman missal. (Well, there is a Franciscan sequence for the Holy Name that I think has the same opening melody as Lauda, Sion.)
  • tomjaw
    For those interested in the melodies used for the Adam of St. Victor sequences, it is well worth looking through this book (it is written in French). It includes discussion of the texts and discussion of the melodies.
    http://archive.org/details/lesprosesdadamd00aubrgoog

The melody used (much later) for the Lauda Sion is used many times, with many variations and to suit the different lengths of the Adam of St. Victor Sequences.

There are also other melodies found in the above book for sequences of this metrical type. The famous Zyma Vetus sequence, was sung to the above melody according to Gueranger, but in the above book it is set to another melody.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • I typeset that same victorine sequence a few years ago, I never was moved by it as much, it's for the Sunday after Ascension too, not actual Ascension day.

As far as the Ascension sequences go, this one is probably the one that has the most widespread appeal and may be my favourite. I recommend it to you.
    It is sung with great gusto on a certain audio cd by Capella Antiqua München. You have to hear the recording to hear how powerful it sounds.

"Omnes gentes, plaudite"

I think it's a later sequence from the 1300's or early 1400's and used most often in scandinavaia or northern germany. Thanks to Dr. William Renwick for transcribing the notes down for me. I never finished filling in the last two verses, but that can be easily accomplished...

If someone asks Matthew Carver (hymnoglypt), he will probably make a metrical english version of "Omnes gentes, plaudite" (He focuses on adapting many latin hymns of the german regional repoirtoire! )

The more standard universal sequences for Ascension were mostly the two of the Notker type both composed in the late 800's!:

"_Summi triumphum regis" and "Rex Omnipotens"

Those are the sequences that 90% of all latin rite catholic churches sang up until the reformation, the occasional different sequences used were rare exceptions.

Thats what we should really be using today if we want to be within what was normal tradition. Though yes, technically we can use Omnes plaudite instead..these days anything goes ...

Thanked by 2CHGiffen expeditus1
  • Here is an example of "Summi triumphum" that Matthew Carver adapted to english, you can find the words on his website. If you would like the rest of the transcription shared, you may ask me to post the other pages.

I think one or two notes is off in my own. The melody is a bit exotic, but good.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Thank you Chris! I'll have to gander at Matthew Carver's website. I think my wife (the DM) will probably prefer the older sequence, but I will show her both of them and see what she thinks.
  • BenBen
    Chris, just a small aesthetic note, I'd left align it all.
  • tomjaw
    Having looked around a bit more...

In the Sarum use and at least the French (European) usages that used the Adam of St. Victor sequences the following was the norm,

"Rex omnipotens die hodierna" for Ascension day.
    "Postquam hostis" for Sunday within the Octave.

The postquam hostis could have been written around 1098 - 1146, I don't have references to the Rex omnipotens...

I note that the website linked in a post above that implies, "Postquam hostis" is an Ascension Sequence, which it could have been in some places.

Looking in Gueranger "The Liturgical year"
    He list two Sequences (ie. he liked them)
    "Omnes Gentes plaudite" (as given above) he found it in the last Missal of Abo of Finland, and suggests it was composed in the 14th or 15th century.

The other is,
    "Christus hunc diem jucundum" composed by Notker in the ninth century for the abbey of St Gall.

I have the music for the "Rex omnipotens..." it is in the Sarum Graduale, the image sizes are too large to post here, but could be e-mailed.

Also in another Google book is another Ascension sequence "Sursum sonet laudum melos" I can also e-mail the music of this. The book is "Cantus_varii_in_usu_apud_Nostrates_ab_or.pdf and can be downloaded from Google books if you are in the USA, it does not work in the UK so I cannot post a link!

Much more information will no doubt be found in the Analecta Hymnica, but I do not have the time at the moment to dig it out.

Thanked by 1expeditus1