Common Psalms
  • At the week-day Mass with the school children, because of the young age of the cantors, we have been using the common (seasonal) Psalms. I have found that this helps their confidence in singing quite a lot. Using the same Psalm helps them to become very familiar with it and improves their vocal technique. So for Ordinary Time, we may use Psalms 19, 27, 63, 95, 103, or 145 (122 during the last weeks) - correct? My question is, for example, if I choose to use Psalm 19, what responsory do I use - am I free to pick? For Psalm 19, may I use either "Praise the Lord, Jerusalem" or "Lord, You have the words of everlasting life"? (I hope that this question made sense.) Thanks for any input.
  • Here you can find a complete overview of all common responsorial psalms, which may be used instead of the one assigned in the Lectionary (p. 414). All of these psalms have their own proper response – you cannot pick another one.

So, for Psalm 19 in Ordinary time there are two responses listed that can be used: "Lord, you have the words of everlasting life" and "Your words, Lord, are spirit and life".

Musical settings can be found in the Lumen Christi Missal (pp. 993-997) and the Chabanel Psalms.
    Thanked by 1CindyCecilia
  • Thank you very much!!!