Pastoral Music (NPM): The Council of Vatican II
  • ryandryand
    The latest copy of the National Pastoral Musicians magazine was lying on my desk this morning (I didn't order it, the parish has a subscription).

I was excited to see that it is addressing the councils of VII, but I am disappointed with what I've read so far. They have articles on Sacrosanctum Concilium, Ecclesia Semper Reformanda, Dei Verbum, Gaudium et Spes ... maybe some others. (Interestingly, the Sancrosanctum Concilium article does not even mention the constitution's name in the title.)

The article on Sacrosanctum Concilium is by Paul Inwood, and his opinions (and let's be honest, these articles are all just going to be opinions, as the council has already made everything clear in the constitutions) ... well, his opinions are ... skewed. I'll write more on that after I finish the article.

After a few pages of his opinions, I decided to skim the rest of the magazine, and stumbled upon this, by Joseph Jensen, OSB, addressing Dei Verbum:

In 1976 the Pontifical Biblical Commission, looking into the possibility of ordaining women as priests, cast three votes which seemed to leave the matter open. However, when the Vatican announced the results of the study, the results were reported in a negative way, presenting only the arguments of those who voted against the proposition.

I won't waste too many words on commentary toward this. Anybody reading this forum understands how ridiculous the above words are, and how they clearly indicate the theological leanings of NPM.

-It's NOT that Jesus "lived in a misogynistic time" (Who is the most revered human being in Catholicism? ...)
    -It's not like the Vatican has authority (so we should listen to their teachings ... ie: We say "no" to women priests)
    -It's not like there were roughly 1,950 years without women priests
    -It was not the council's place or goal to change dogma or sacred tradition, but rather to "renew" (NOT REDEFINE) the practices of the church in the modern world.
    -It's not like the priesthood has been male-only in Orthodox, Byzantine, Roman, and many Protestant churches throughout history.
    -It's not like the apostles were all men (oh wait, they were).

Sacrosanctum Concilium to follow...
    Thanked by 2irishtenor CHGiffen
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    This brings to mind the following, from the Treatises of Cyprian:
    1:3. But, beloved brethren, not only must we beware of what is open and manifest, but also of what deceives by the craft of subtle fraud. And what can be more crafty, or what more subtle, than for this enemy, detected and cast down by the advent of Christ, after light has come to the nations ... — seeing his idols forsaken ... — to devise a new fraud, and under the very title of the Christian name to deceive the incautious?

He has invented heresies and schisms, whereby he might subvert the faith, might corrupt the truth, might divide the unity. Those whom he cannot keep in the darkness of the old way, he circumvents and deceives by the error of a new way.

He snatches men from the Church itself; and while they seem to themselves to have already approached to the light, and to have escaped the night of the world, he pours over them again, in their unconsciousness, new darkness; so that, although they do not stand firm with the Gospel of Christ, and with the observation and law of Christ, they still call themselves Christians, and, walking in darkness, they think that they have the light, while the adversary is flattering and deceiving, who, according to the apostle's word, transforms himself into an angel of light, and equips his ministers as if they were the ministers of righteousness, who maintain night instead of day, death for salvation, despair under the offer of hope, perfidy under the pretext of faith, antichrist under the name of Christ; so that, while they feign things like the truth, they make void the truth by their subtlety.

This happens, beloved brethren, so long as we do not return to the source of truth, as we do not seek the head nor keep the teaching of the heavenly Master.

• Parce, Domine: parce populo tuo, ne in aeternum irascaris nobis.
  • Ally
    Hi ryand, thank you for saying something.
    I read bits and pieces this morning over my coffee.

My main criticism is that it is not presented as "here are some opinion pieces" on these documents, but rather that this is scholarly material. If it was intended to be so, it could have been written and edited more carefully. There are some well-written portions, but then it is as though the authors felt unable to refrain from cynical asides and sweeping misrepresentations.

The SC piece began fairly well. The description of the Liturgical Movement was fairly accurate, but then...

I especially loved the part when he talks about something more than the "mere observation of the rules" as though it means to "ignore the rules". He seems to miss, as so many have, that the point from SC means that IN ADDITION to following the rules, there should be something more (and I don't mean more as in additions to the liturgy).

And then that great direct attack on the "Say the black, do the red" types. Very sad. Especially the part about "liturgical robots" as though there is no meaning to the rubrics.

But I'll let you do the full analysis here, I have bulletin articles to write.

Please also include your commentary on the "Spirit of Vatican II" piece at the back of the issue... let's say that I feel unable to bring myself to words about it at this time :)
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    Ally hits it right on the head!

She says:
    "He seems to miss, as so many have, that the point from SC means that IN ADDITION to following the rules, there should be something more."

They who criticize those who follow the rubrics closely seem to assume that there cannot be more there than just ritual. Speaking for myself, I say the prayers of the Mass with as much sincerity and meaning as I can muster every time.

SC calls upon all of us to imbue the ritual actions with genuine devotion and humility, rather than performing as a "robot." That doesn't mean that we shouldn't be precise, but that we should be both precise AND earnest when we celebrate the Mass. Either is lacking without the other.
  • CharlesW
    My parish doesn't waste money on NPM any longer - a good thing. The pastor says we have grown beyond them. But I do see the Inwood articles in the quarterly magazine from GIA. You are correct that his opinions are skewed - skewed up, that is! Of course, I expect that GIA is out to sell something that it publishes, so that's a given. Large grain of salt time, folks.
  • chonakchonak
    Ryan, Fr. Jensen is an official of the Catholic Biblical Association, so perhaps it might suit him to see biblical experts treated as if they were bearers of a magisterium!

Anyway, it sounds as though his article in NPM may just be an echo of arguments made in the NC Reporter a few weeks ago in the wake of the Roy Bourgeois case. Tom Crowe of catholicvote.org discussed that here.
  • ryandryand
    PART ONE:

Paul Inwood begins by pointing out that Sacrosanctum Concilium
    “was the first document issued by the Council Fathers. It is tempting to think that this must indicate that they thought the liturgy was the most important subject to deal with on their agenda. In fact this Council’s principal work was in theological, dogmatic reflection on the Church.”

It is tempting because, perhaps, it is true. Lex orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.

While he begins with this downplay of the unparalleled importance of the liturgy (when properly celebrated) influencing our understanding and experience of the faith, he soon quotes the opening paragraph of Sacrosanctum Concilium:
    “This sacred Council has several aims in view: it desires to impart an ever increasing vigor to the Christian life of the faithful; to adapt more suitably to the needs of our own times those institutions which are subject to change; to foster whatever can promote union among all who believe in Christ; to strengthen whatever can help to call the whole of mankind into the household of the Church. The Council therefore sees particularly cogent reasons for undertaking the reform and promotion of the liturgy.”

The reform and promotion of the liturgy. Really, Mr. Inwood? To begin by downplaying the importance of the liturgy (“It might have been the first issue they tackled, but that’s just coincidence!”), and then go on to quote the council’s promotion of the liturgy is simply ridiculous.

I can’t imagine what is to follow …

Actually, I lied. I was not taken aback by a quick stab at traditionalists:
    “I should add, for the benefit of those who do not accept that the Council Fathers mandated liturgical change…”

Come on, Mr. Inwood. We all know what you’re getting at. “Those who do not accept...” You’re taking a stab at the FSSP, or those who wish for a more traditional Novus Ordo … perhaps even in Latin (outrage!), as the documents call for. Of course, Inwood makes no mention of that. I add that, once again, the downplaying of the liturgy in the council’s focus is disproved by his own writings and opinions, seeing that here he retains focus on the reform of liturgy – from the council’s opening paragraph, and the first ten paragraphs of his own article.

It should come as no surprise that he writes,
    “The existing power structures have been reluctant to relinquish their control over the life of the Church.”

It’s called a hierarchy, Mr. Inwood, and they are guided by the Holy Spirit. There is a reason that the bishops, and not the laity, were called to participate in the council. If one does not believe in the wisdom of Church leaders and their teachings and directives, then perhaps one ought to leave for a more democratic denomination. I hear that the Unitarians are always accepting new members.

Quoting SC11, Inwood continues,
    “Something more is required than mere observance of laws and rubrics? This was earth-shattering for a Church that had never previously felt itself able to exist without legal circumscriptions. Such a willingness – indeed a permission – to go beyond rules and regulations was a hugely liberating force.”

I can only ask, “How so?” When the council says, “It is their duty also to ensure that the faithful take part fully aware of what they are doing, actively engaged in the rite, and enriched by its effects,” I see absolutely no permission to “to go beyond” anything. Rather, it reads that pastors ought to foster an understanding, so that the faithful may “take part fully aware,” and to be “actively engaged.” Where did the permission to “go beyond” any rubrics appear?

Inwood’s opinion is on faithful adherence to the rubrics is crystal-clear.
    “The then prevailing practice, which resembled liturgical robots performing an antique, complicated ritual without emotion and without true human engagement…”

I’d like to read Inwood’s opinion on why God is not deserving of a complex ritual.

Then again, maybe I would not …

What exactly is “true human engagement?” Any sports game will present an “antique, complicated ritual,” and yet those in attendance are yet engaged. As stated above, the council was simply asking for a better understanding, so that the faithful could actually be engaged in the ritual. Actuosa participatio, whether we take that as “active” or “actual” participation, can only exist with a better understanding of the ritual. Improvising the rubrics or adding “emotion” into it fosters nothing but a focus on the individuals, and does not lead one’s gaze upward toward God (away from the fixation on the individual).

A reference is made to “legitimate variations and adaptions to different groups, regions, and peoples, especially in mission lands,” which ignores the following phrase, “provided that the substantial unity of the Roman rite is preserved.” He tells us that the traditionalists are “comforted” by that mention of “substantial unity,” but then says that
    “modern liturgical scholarship has now proved that, historically, such a concept is nothing more than an illusion.”

Really? The Roman rite has never displayed any unity between parishes? Various Catholic rites exist, and I don’t expect that the Byzantine rite will exactly mirror the Tridentine rite will exactly mirror the Novus Ordo will exactly mirror the Ambrosian will exactly mirror the Anglican-Use. Many rites exist, to be sure, but to suggest that no semblance of unity never existed between parishes celebrating the same rite, from the same liturgical books is silly. To suggest that only modern scholarship could make this grand discovery is a stretch far into the absurd.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • ryandryand
    PART TWO:

So far, one might assume that an improvisatory and “personalized” liturgy for each parish would be the ideal for Mr. Inwood. Odd, then, that he quotes GIRM 20 and follows up with,
    “That paragraph says, very clearly, that if you do not do the work of choosing and arranging from the Church’s blueprint, then you are not doing your duty as a liturgical ‘manager’.”

Really? Then why so strongly suggest that we ignore the blueprint for the interests of human emotions and involvement?

Absurdity continues as he again quotes SC11,
    “But in order that the liturgy may be able to produce its full effects, it is necessary that the faithful come to it with proper dispositions, that their minds should be attuned to their voices, and that they should cooperate with divine grace lest they receive it in vain.”

His commentary:
    “This reinforces the notion that the reception of grace is not quasi-automatic, as many had thought up to that point. You need to be ready to receive it, otherwise it will have no effect.”

My commentary:
    This is not a new concept. Sure, “many may have thought” that was true, and let’s be honest in acknowledging that many still do. The council was simply reinforcing was the church has consistently taught. I challenge Inwood to provide any binding documents of the church which taught that grace was quasi-automatic by mere attendance at mass. Actuosa participation has always been a necessary theological component to receive the grace of any sacrament.

Then suddenly, I find myself agreeing with Paul Inwood. “It took awhile to realize exactly what the implications of the participation might be, and for some the pendulum swung too far too fast, with everyone doing everything, and participation was measured by the amount of tongue wagged.” Finally, something of insight into the writings! Participation is not synonymous with activity! If we continue in that mindset, he offers a profoundly simple summation of the council’s mission, “Listen! This Church is yours; it needs to engage you; but you yourselves also need to put effort into that engagement!”
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • ryandryand
    Part three will follow next week.
  • CharlesW
    If one does not believe in the wisdom of Church leaders and their teachings and directives, then perhaps one ought to leave for a more democratic denomination. I hear that the Unitarians are always accepting new members.

The Episcopalians are looking for members, too. As a friend said - wish I had said it - the original Protestants couldn't agree with the Church, but at least they had the integrity to leave. Not so, the current protesters.
    Thanked by 2francis CHGiffen
  • francis
    [soapbox] I would offer that the rubrics direct my mind and body toward the proper disposition so that I can truly worship God in Spirit and in Truth. There's nothing like a little discipline to put one in the right frame of mind and living, and to bring under subjection the flesh that wars against the spirit. Those who spurn and cast off such things only walk in the way of the foolish. [/soapbox]

CharlesW

So true. However, we were warned about this type of thing the last hundred years or so.
  • rich_enough
    This kind of tendentious misrepresentation has been going on for a while now. Browse a Pastoral Music from the '70s and you'll read the same tired old stuff. Better to move on.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • ryandryand
    rich,

I disagree. While these may seem like the same silly articles-of-old to those of us familiar with "the liturgy wars," (which Inwood decries, while inciting such arguments with his provocatively misinformed writing), there is the danger that opinions such as his might come across as "new" or "fresh" interpretations to someone reading that sort of article for the first time. Those heresies must be struck down as soon as they rear their ugly heads.

There is nothing, really, to interpret in the conciliar writings. Why have an entire magazine of opinion articles on the binding constitutions of the Chruch?

NPM would be better off just publishing the documents and letting their readers see the facts for themselves. Instead, we get a second-hand interpretation which is simply a collection of individual opinions ... misinformed and misguided opinions which focus more on the individual than on God, and more on local cultural norms than on the liturgical practice of the Roman rite and the dogmatic beliefs of our faith.

I mean ... priestesses? Really?
  • melofluentmelofluent
    ryand, Sam (and I) probably offer (t) his advice to ignore the obvious because Pastoral Music has, forever and ever amen, remained a pale imitation and pretender to the throne of the real organ of progressive thought, "Worship," since day one. God bless his nice soul, Virgil Funk, has wanted to be taken seriously with PM as both an organ of liturgy and music, and failed (IMO miserably) as an advocate of healthy practice in both. Where PM has succeededly magnificently is being a smorgasbord of platitudes and banality of either liturgical cuisine or musical mundanity.
    I've said it once, since and again today, had NPM convinced Michael Joncas to assume the "John Adams" role after Funk, we'd be regarding NPM in a whole other light.
    Thanked by 1Spriggo
  • chonakchonak
    Maybe this is a generational difference: those of us who are old enough to remember the 1970s and 1980s don't feel we need to keep fighting the boring old heresies; but maybe the younger generation is right to be cautious.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Richard, I just helped them with perspective. Dude?
  • rich_enough
    True, some people may still be taken in by "arugments" such as Inwood's, but I doubt they frequent this forum, or if they do, they can read plenty of more interesting things here. Life is short, and I just think it's more productive to basically ignore the static coming from places like PM and PT (which is fast passing away anyway) and use one's limited energy on promoting the good stuff.

(BTW - I use "rich_enough" as a username, but Sam is my real name - just to avoid confusion.)
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Sam, we geezers don't need a roster/scorecard, and by the time we do (the biological solution!) we, like Grampa Simpson, won't give a fig about our nom de plumes.
    Richard=Chonak, not "Enough....Mix....Rice.....the Lionhearted etc.
    Paul here now means JMO, as Inwood ain't likely to grace our sordid doings here.
    melofluent is my secret way to confound JMO (what's good for the goose...) and has nothing to do with attitude proficiency, rather melodic conversance. But our resident Byzantine in Tennessee seems to think I run a storefront medical dispensary of sorts out here in CA. Never touch the stuff.
    There is no explanation for Frogman Noel. He's kind of our Da Vinci, a "man of many parts." But outside of a great shock of white hair (like Chuck G), he bears no other resemblance to the late, great Lloyd Bridges of "Sea Hunt" fame.
    Digression over.
    The simple truth, IMO, about PMusic from day one, is that unlike "The Caecilian" and "Sacred Music" (and for that matter, "Adoremus" bulletins) PM has never actually been ABOUT "music" per se. And that can be directly attributed to NPM believing that it actually could be "all things to all musicians." Well, by the second national convention at Chicago, you could see the upcoming Balkanization that would lead to their subdivisions like DMMD, etc. But for all the faux scholarsip in the periodicals, all the showcases of new product, all the practical breakouts, there became a marketplace mentality that product and philosophy is more effective and successful than conservatism and practical improvement, otherwise called dedication and perseverence.
    When Paul I and our generation do move out of the choirs, whose programs are more likely to remain consistent to an ethos rather than a personality?

PS, my most beloved feline ever, Plunkett, peacefully died in my arms this AM and went to kitty reward this morning.
  • CharlesW
    But our resident Byzantine in Tennessee seems to think I run a storefront medical dispensary of sorts out here in CA. Never touch the stuff.

No, I don't really believe that about you. I suspect that if we ever met in person, we would get along quite well.

BTW, I am now 65, going on 12, and recently had the prescription drug conversation with the people who run my federal retiree Part D component of Medicare. It took a few moments to convince them that I don't take any medications. They seem to think everyone does. LOL.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Oh, Charles, I didn't say I don't take medications. I take 'em by the fistful. Do they help?
    Not really ;-)
  • GavinGavin
    I, too, have to wonder why anyone should care what Pastoral Music has to say.
    Thanked by 2francis CharlesW
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I, too, have to wonder why Noel refers to himself as the Frogman. Until I heard his voice on the phone I assumed he was a French immigrant.
    Thanked by 1noel jones, aago
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I believe he was a charter member of Seal Team Six. I'm only half kidding, I wouldn't be surprised!
    And Adam, for the future, using "Froggy" for all things French is in poor taste, unless you're talking bad Bourdeux, Burgundy or Beaujolais!
  • ryandryand
    In hindsight, its probably a waste of time to finish the critique. It was therapeutic for me to rant on it yesterday, being in a parish that has deep roots in the "spirit of Vatican II" mindset ... but its probably best to just let it go. Like Sam pointed out, nobody is going to read it ... I'm just preaching to the choir here.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I should have specified- I thought he was a French immigrant poking fun at himself. It would never occur to me to use froggy=french on my own initiative.
  • I actually thought he was ex-military, a combat diver, who sometimes go by "Frogmen."

Seriously.
  • donr
    ryand.
    I appreciate your critique and you should continue. I didn't know the article existed and I now will look it up.
    A couple of years ago when I was searching for guidance on how to pick songs and I fell into this site.
    It was posts like yours that peeked my interests and caused me to come back time and time again.
    This site and posts such as this have educated me and has helped me to promote sacred music when I really never cared prior.

So to all of you who think that you are just preaching to the choir on this site you are not. The WWW has many viewers and you never know who will be watching, listening and learning.

The Lord bless you
    Thanked by 1Earl_Grey
  • I am in agreement with donr. I have not had a chance to read the article but I am sure our director of music will take the articles all to heart as our parish has membership with NPM.
    Your not just preaching to the choir I've learned alot from this site just the short time I have been with it.
    Please keep at it. I may not be able to change her but at least I can do play the real sacred at times that I can.
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    I can attest that most of the "pastoral musicians" in my neck of the woods are devoted to NPM and follow blindly. I'm a recovering pastoral musician myself since that is all I knew growing up. I think we must critique (constructively of course) because it is so easy to get stuck in the rut of "that's how we've always done things here." Music in Catholic Worship and Liturgical Music Today were held as gospel. About 6 years ago I was casually strolling through the library and Day's Why Catholic's Can't Sing jumped out at me. That let me to question a lot of what I was doing out of habit thinking that was the only way do things. I never wanted to accept the dichotomy of good music for the concert hall and mediocrity for worship, but that was the status quo. I don't have many supporters, and I may be the only local musician with a Graduale on the shelf.

We must continue to evangelize.
  • Ally
    This echoes my concerns exactly.

This publication is sent out to how many parishes across the country, and music directors do take their word for it, because they are considered trusted, knowledgeable, experienced, etc. Even our diocese actually sponsors a local NPM chapter (of which the parish is a member, so I get the magazine). So we do need to be concerned with the content, so we can help evangelize. Even if most people here don't need to hear it, it helps to know what is going on "out there"...

You know, I had been to an NPM convention at a time when I didn't know about the CMAA or this forum or anything. I did feel a bit like an outsider there, but didn't know that there were any different groups, I thought you had to be in NPM to be considered "legit" for a job, because that's what it seemed like in this area. So of course you want to trust the leadership and their publications. Then, taking classes at a good school, I really began to question. I still didn't feel like I fit in for the area, but beginning to follow The Chant Café, and eventually even writing to Jeffrey Tucker, who wrote back and pointed me to this group (thank you) really helped me. I've actually met (in this city!) some new awesome friends through here. And because of that, now "irishtenor" and I are planning some awesome sacred music things for our area, we will share details soon.

What if someone is just browsing and finds this thread and they start to think about things differently?

Besides, if you don't want to talk about it, then don't comment on the thread. You're just keeping it at the top :)