Communion Seasonal Antiphon - what verses?
  • donr
    Would it be weird to sing a seasonal antiphon for communion (Taste and See or ?) to increase congregation participation and then use the psalm verse for the day.
  • BenBen
    Are you talking about using the psalm verses from the proper communio?

I would just use the psalm verses that are paired with whatever antiphon you're using. The Graduale Romanum allows you to use one of the 7 ad libitum eucharistic communion chants, so you're doing something legitimate.

Is there a specific reason you want to use different psalm verses?
  • donr
    I just thought that if one of the 7 ad libitum chants are used that maybe we could use the verse of the day to keep the message of the celebration in tact.

If you think that not correct I will keep the verses of the ad libitum.
  • chonakchonak
    That's a nice idea. If you find that the psalm verses designated for the day's proper have a special fittingness for the day, it wouldn't hurt to keep them. (How often such a particular relevance exists is another matter!)
    Thanked by 1donr
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    There is a collection set up as you described on the CNP's online catalog. Recently purchased a copy for use at school Masses. Not sure off hand where the antiphons come from. I have also done something similar with Taize refrains. At least it helps to introduce the idea of psalm singing as well as antiphonal singing during communion and it offers something the congregation can easily sing and remember. http://www.canticanova.com/catalog/products/g_commps.htm
    Thanked by 1donr
  • Here's an idea: Have the choir sing the Communion Chant for the day, and then afterwards use one of the Ad Libitum Chants instead of having a Communion Hymn and Thanksgiving Hymn (so many parishes have the two hymns and it iritates me)

I am trying to get people to sing the simplest of the Ad libitum communion antiphons like the responsorial psalm. Not quite there yet. You'd think that printing the antiphon (with music) in the mass leaflet would give them the hin!