St Meinrad Archabbey Gregorian Chant Retreats July 2013
  • Carl DCarl D
    Bringing to Life the Word of God in Song - Beginner

Monday, July 1- Friday, July 5, 2013

This is the beginner session; an advanced session will be held July 8-12, 2013. Learn how the practice of Gregorian chant brings to life the Word of God in song, and study the intimate relationship between the proclaimed Word of God and its melodic setting. Learn a new way to enhance your lectio, your spiritual reading. The workshop includes study of the original chant notations as the key to unlocking the spiritual and artistic qualities that have influenced later Western music. Practice singing both Latin and English settings in chant style will be included.

Session Faculty: Fr. Columba Kelly, OSB

Single : $ 395
    Double : $ 650

Bringing to Life the Word of God in Song - Advanced

Monday, July 8- Friday, July 12, 2013

This is the advanced session; a beginner session will be held July 1-5, 2013. Learn how the practice of Gregorian chant brings to life the Word of God in song, and study the intimate relationship between the proclaimed Word of God and its melodic setting. In this advanced session, we will practice singing both Latin and English settings in chant style.

Session Faculty: Fr. Columba Kelly, OSB

Single : $ 395
    Double : $ 650
  • Carl DCarl D
    This was the first significant chant education I ever had, and well worth the investment. Because I had been singing for over a year at that point, I just went with the Advanced course and did just fine.

You also learn about the underpinnings of this glorious music, so it's not just about reading and singing!
  • donr
    Where is this, City and State please?
  • mwa
    Saint Meinrad Archabbey
    200 Hill Drive
    St. Meinrad, Indiana 47577
    Saint Meinrad Archabbey is located in St. Meinrad, Indiana, 65 miles west of Louisville, Kentucky, and 55 miles east of Evansville, Indiana.
    Thanked by 1fp
  • In my Archdiocese! I just might make an appearance, though I have another retreat scheduled there later in August.
  • And you get the experience, if you choose it, of living the monastic daily rhythm. It was a life-changing two weeks for that reason, both musically and spiritually.
  • Carl DCarl D
    Agreed. It's not a Colloquium experience but powerful learning and spiritual development.
    Thanked by 1ScottKChicago
  • I have been a frequent visitor to St. Meinrad (I am an Oblate there), but hadn't attended a chant workshop until last year. Unfortunately, I had to leave a day early, but it is a wonderful learning experience and Fr. Columba is the best. :)
    Thanked by 1ScottKChicago
  • Benesonatibus! I would attend again.
    Fr. Kelly has new settings of the propers using the Missal's text: ENTRANCE PROPERS

and the COMMUNION PROPERS.
    Both are more complex than the SEP and provide an easy congregation refrain too. We sang the Communion today.