PBC 2nd Edition
  • scholistascholista
    Anyone know when the 2nd edition of the Parish Book of Chant might be published?
  • BenBen
    I'm pretty sure they're waiting until the stock of the first edition is gone.
    Thanked by 1scholista
  • BGP
    and how much stock is left of the first edition? I wonder. I'm planning on outfitting our entire choir with the new edition when it comes out.
  • The stock is entirely gone. The 2nd edition is at the printer now. I'm guessing it will be available on March 1.
  • Kathy
    Wonderful news! This is such an amazing resource for parishes!!
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Love the PBC. Even working in an Episcopal parish, the PBC is one of the most useful single resources I own, and the primary source for our use of Gregorian chant in liturgy.

Not being uber-traditional or Anglo-Catholic, we do not sing processional propers but rather hymns. However, the choir sings an "anthem" every week at the offertory. Chants from the PBC are perfect for this use, and I'm not sure where I would be able to find such high-quality, easy-to-read editions of these chants without the PBC. And freedom to copy makes all the difference in the world.

BTW - We're singing "Ave Verum Corpus" this weekend out of the PBC, flowing immediately from monophonic Latin in alternatim into [shameless_plug]my English setting in three parts.[/shameless_plug])
    Thanked by 2Kathy Gavin
  • BGP
    Thanks for the update Jeffrey.

Yes the PBC has been a wonderful book, and the new edition will be even better.
  • scholistascholista
    Jeffrey,

Any idea on the price? I'm saving to buy some for our church.

Marty
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Just some more praise for the PBC....

I just ran across something I wrote in 2011. It wasn't that long ago, but I had almost forgotten what a tremendous impact the PBC had on me personally.

When I started to read through the texts of the propers, and then even more so the various hymns and chants in the Parish Book of Chant, I couldn’t help but realize how impoverished was the theology of the music I grew up with. There are a lot of contemporary songs and hymns that I think are wonderful and rich, but I had never, ever been at a Mass and sung any sentiment as evocative as “Blood of Christ, inebriate me,” nor sung any melody quite as sweet as “Ave Verum Corpus.” There are untold riches here, and the contemporary liturgical movement has pretty much just forgotten about them.

In another thread, and often around here, someone asked if the things that CMAA (and friends) are doing really make a difference in advancing the "cause" of Sacred Music.

It has made a huge difference to me.
  • scholistascholista
    ...someone asked if the things that CMAA (and friends) are doing really make a difference in advancing the "cause" of Sacred Music.

The effectiveness of the service that CMAA renders on behalf of the Church and her sacred music is undeniable. Thank you!
    Thanked by 3Ben CHGiffen Heath