Asperges Me as communion meditation piece?
  • Hello all,

I am a music director for a wonderful young priest who is encouraging a traditional approach to liturgical music. Together we have taken steps in the last year and a half, some small, some a little bigger, to make changes in the way our parishoners think about music in the Holy Mass. One of the things I have done is introduce some of the standard chant repertoire as communion meditation pieces (Ubi caritas, Salve Regina, etc.) I am a convert and have learned so much from this forum in the past year.

So, I am planning on having the choir learn and chant the Asperges Me as a communion meditation for the Bapitism of the Lord. Is this in any way an inappropriate use of this antiphon?

Thank you for any advice!
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I'm sure that'd be fine..., but why not use it for the actual Asperges?
    Thanked by 1Paul F. Ford
  • There's nothing I can think of that would ban the practice....although it would be a little weird. It would be like singing a setting of the Sanctus or the Gloria as a motet. Nothing says you can't, but it just seems like the more logical thing to do would be to sing it at the appointed time in the liturgy. It would present an excellent opportunity for a homily on the musical reality of the entire liturgy.
    Thanked by 1Paul F. Ford