Organist robe
  • Hello Everyone,

I recently bought a organist robe (black with buttons down the whole front;custom made) I also bought a white cotta(?) to go over the black robe. The cotta came in one size with a chest of 30-35. Which is quite large on me. I took it to get it hemed by my seamstress and got the sleeves spilt and it taken in since it was quite large. The only thing I'm unsure of is the length. It almost goes down to my knees, should it be that long? I don't want it so short but I don't want it to look to big on me. I was thinking of getting it re-hemed so that it will go to my thighs area. What are thoughts from fellow organists who wear these style of robes. I could either get to re-hemed or I could buy a child's size robe and wear that but I don't want it to look to small on me either though. I have a very small waist and shoulder size! I had to buy a choir cotta cause the organist ones don't come in my size. Any suggestions at all?

Thanks!
  • Goodness, that's a long cotta! When I used to wear one, it came just past my waist, to about my thighs. When I sat on the bench, it didn't encumber me at all.
  • You should have a surplice, which, if it is the correct length, should come almost to your ankles. For organists, they now are available with completely slit fronts which button at the yoke. The thigh-length cotta which you seem to be describing is a spurious and rather silly-looking 'chopped-off' surplice which was/is worn by acolytes in parishes which mistakenly believe them to be the most ancient or 'traditional' vesture for them (it isn't: apparalled albs are). The cotta has no legitimate history as choir habit. If you had a cassock custom made, you should be able to get a proper surplice made to go with it. Try C.M. Almy's or Wippell's.
  • The "Cotta" is meant to be a short alb. The alb is supposed to be ankle length.

There is no right or wrong length for a cotta. You can have anything from the westminster "bum-freezer" which only goes to the elbows on the sleeves and to the middle of the torso, right to the gothic surplice with its giant sleeves and is usually knee-length.

The organist's surplice/cotta needs to be short enough not to get in the way (hence the split sleeves). I usually gather up my cassock/soutane above my knees to play (it helps to wear black trousers).