Most Influential Catholic of 2012
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Over at LarryD's "Acts of the Apostosy"
    http://actsoftheapostasy.wordpress.com/
    he has a poll of the most influential RC in 2012. I nominated Prof. Mahrt, and he's got three votes. C'mon folks, stack the deck! Flash Mob over there and vote for our mentor! It's the American Way, and your duty as he is the spirit behind "Save the Liturgy..."

Kathy or Jeffrey, can you also repost this at the Cafe?
  • ok...done...but I must confess I voted three times. mea culpa

(FYI - I voted for three different people - Dr. Mahrt and two others. I don't want to get melofluent in trouble for putting me onto the thread. It didn't say I couldn't....so I don't think I did any harm.?))
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CharlesW
    Looks like Cardinal Dolan is leading.
  • BenBen
    Dr. Mahrt isn't doing too bad though. It looks like he's in third (behind Fr. Z, surprisingly).
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Actually, at third behind C.s Dolan/Burke, he's ahead of Fr. Zed, whom I think wouldn't mind.
    THE POINT IS, dear CMAA comrades, to get a lot of RC folk to wonder "Hey, who is this Bill Mahrt guy?" Well he's not the jerk on HBO. If they see this gentle soul who's steered the American RC sacred music cause into a cause celebre, they might just make the connection between yakkers like Bill Donohue (bless his blustery soul) and Voris and doers like our beloved professor. So go there, vote for Mahrt!

• matthewjmatthewj
    I did.
    Thanked by 1E_A_Fulhorst
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Cardinal Dolan 33%
    Cardinal Burke 23.5%
    Prof. Mahrt 14.3%

C'mon, meinen Freunden, let's make LarryD's readership go "Who is THIS guy?" Go to link in my last post and vote "Mahrt."
    Thanked by 1E_A_Fulhorst
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    I did my part for Mahrt.

Be smart and vote for Mahrt.
  • Prof. Mahrt. Done.
    Thanked by 2melofluent CHGiffen
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Of him one cannot Tucker out
    And Ms. A of O-Z holds great clout
    One Stoops to praise Bill
    Buchholz still can thrill
    Of all these there can be no doubt

The ruler of Schuler lies long
    The merits of Skeris stay strong
    Ostrowski's and Bartlett's
    Have opened new markets
    But MAHRT is our mission's King Kong!

Vote
  • kevinfkevinf
    Moi aussi pour Professeur Mahrt.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Professsor Mahrt is currently tied with Cardinal Burke for second place. At 31 votes apiece, they are just 25 votes behind Cardinal Dolan.
    Thanked by 1melofluent
  • melofluentmelofluent
    President Mahrt is solely in possession of 2nd place now.
    This readership is huge here. You want to promote the Mahrt paradigm universally?
    Vote for him at this little poll, and make more than a few Catholics google his name and consider why he's accomplished so much to advance "lex O', lex C'," than thousands of our beloved clerics.
  • I tried to vote but the link would not materialise on my computer. I must confess that I would be pulled in two directions: one toward Dr Mahrt, and the other toward Msgr Steenson. Incidentally, an anonymous donor has just donated five acres of land adjacent to Our Lady of Walsingham for to build an ordinariate chancery upon. Yet another Te Deum to sing! (Perhaps Dr Mahrt should lead it! -- no, it should be led by our own choirmaster.)
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen tomboysuze
  • BenBen
    Mahrt has second as of 12:44am, 12/21/2012!

Cardinal Dolan: 30.14%
    Dr William Mahrt: 17.22%
    Cardinal Burke: 15.31%

C'mon, people! Let's get him in first before the end of the world!
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    As of 8:10am CST:

Cardinal Dolan - 63 votes
    Dr. William Mahrt - 38 votes
    Cardinal Burke - 32 votes
    Michael Voris - 22 votes

Cast your vote today at:
  • I just voted for him.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Ben, you're one of our onboard genius', isn't it Dec.22 near the I'ntl. dateline som'eres?
    Keep lobbying, then we can say that Mahrt literally saved the world!

• BenBen
    HAHAHA! Nice melofluent.
    Thanked by 1melofluent
  • MJO, I had problems too. At first only the "bad guys poll" was up. After I voted that and went back, the "good guy poll" was there. So try again and maybe refresh.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    C'mon CMAA, G-Mahrt (Gregorian, as opposed to Wal...or K-Mart) is above the 20th percentile, thus within 9% of Cdl. Dolan, for chanting out loud!
    Stay churchy, my friends, this is one election we don't have to pinch our noses as we cast our vote!
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Mahrt is within 4 points of equating USCCB President T.C. Dolan at this straw poll.
    In the cheesy quote of Lay Mee-zu-rah-bluh, "Bring him home!" Do it, do it now!
    If he at least ties, then we can hoist this up to the Nat'l Catholic Register as newsworthy!
    What a Christmas surprise.
  • I'm thrilled that you're rooting so enthusiastically for your guy, and am enjoying the poll at my blog, but I really hope you're only voting once. This ain't Chicago, you know! :-)
    Thanked by 1E_A_Fulhorst
  • CharlesW
    This ain't Chicago, you know! :-)

That's what I told Ben! LOL - or something similar.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Larry, I've been above board and honest in all my lobbying. And, if you've gone this far to track our guy down and, thus, our organization, we're all about the rules! For my part, this I can verify and thus earn your trust. And besides, we don't believe the dead can vote, and moreso, don't believe they'd even WANT to! Merry Christmas, LarryD, you've given many of us, along with the Archbolds and Zmirak, many laughs from the creative minority!
  • No problemo. Just having a little lighthearted fun. I think it'd be pretty funny if Dr Walmart beats Cardinal Dolan...
  • BenBen
    of course I've only voted once :)

But I guess all my campaign ambitions have to have an output somewhere after taking off school for two weeks to work on the romney campaign right before the election. The joys of homeschool flexibility!
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I'm glad you get the jest of it, Larry. It's kinda as if Ron Paul actually won something, but without all the baggage!
  • Done, my dear cmaa dad! Great find!
    And should Bill Mahrt be reading this thread, with bemused smile and wine glass in hand, I offer a robust "cheers"!
    And I'll tack on singing the Offertory for this week as well as a Divine Mercy chaplet as a concrete guesture of gratitude.

Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Ah, sweet angel soprano daughter o' mine, I was wonderin' where ye be?
    I know this whole bit is a calculated gambit, but really, who else has labored day and night to change the face of our maligned culture here?
    Love ya Mum,
    C
    For the rest of ye who've not ventured to vote, consider this: The nominative "Spirit of V2" callled for the contributions of the laity to the mission directives of the Church in the modern era. Who else embodies better the unity of tradition (and treasury) with the acceptance of intermediate steps towards a "unified field" sacrality in our musical domain than Bill Mahrt? Cardinal Dolan is a proven trouper. Bill Mahrt is and has always been a soldier on the front lines of the righteous side. Vote.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • WendiWendi
    At the moment Dr. Marht is still in second with 69 votes, slightly behind Cardinal Dolan (72 votes)...but miles ahead of everyone else.

Cardinal Burke is closest with 34 votes and Michael Voris is next with 29 votes.
    Thanked by 1melofluent
  • GavinGavin
    At the risk of not conveying sufficient respect for the fine work Prof. Mahrt has done through his illustrious career, I have to ask: why is he nominated for this? Is he an influential Catholic? Yes, very much so. But what has he influenced in 2012? Steenson, I can see. The Ordinariate has taken off and breathed new air into the Catholic Church. Dolan and George, yes, very influential, given their role in national politics. But, so far as I know, Mahrt has been keeping on with the fine work he's been doing. Which is not to be denigrated, but is there something specific he's done, or some way he's affected events ecclesiastical over the past year?
    Thanked by 1E_A_Fulhorst
  • CharlesW
    Mahrt is probably not well known outside of the highly insular CMAA world. That does not in any way diminish his work or contributions. However, we are talking music not world shaking hype. He doesn't get the media coverage Justin Bieber gets. Dolan and others play on a much larger stage.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Gavin, how are studies and gig going in Houston? I pray thee well.
    First of all, an honest question deserves an honest response. LarryD's blog, "Acts of the Apostacy" is first and foremost one of a number of satirically based catholic sites such as Creative MInority, the Crescat and others, and the humor these sites purvey undegirds pretty much what they put out. Larry didn't pull these names out of a hat, readership, including moi, submitted noms. And frankly, I was surprised to see that Mahrt actually made the list. But then, as you can see by the tone of my posts above, that Larry himself had to google Mahrt to find us and his humorous admonition about Chicago voting practices reflects what I've described. But now, there might be people, especially if Mahrt wins this straw poll, who will also be intrigued enough to google him and thereby us, and spread the word of what we and CMAA do. It's not a "for real" contest, it's a pageant. C's. Dolan and Burke are no less or no more eminent and worthy than Mahrt, but personally I think it'd be a hoot if our supremely modest, Yoda-like sensei won the pageant representing the apostacy of orthodox Catholics from the gulags of "bad taste and political correctness" that have ruled the roost for two generatons. Don't worry, be happy.
    Thanked by 1E_A_Fulhorst
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    I would also submit that Prof. Mahrt's "The Musical Shape of the Liturgy" is arguably one of the most influential Catholic publications of 2012 - and certainly makes him worthy of any such list.
  • SalieriSalieri
    Dolan : 26.94 % (73 votes)
    Mahrt : 26.2 % (71 votes)

c'mon guys!

(In t' other poll Kathleen Sebelius is leadin', with Joe Biden nippin' at 'er heels)
  • chonakchonak
    With the trend toward sacred music in OF Masses taking effect, I think there's a decent reason to credit Dr. Mahrt as influential.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Okay, cards on table.
    I embraced catholicism at 19 because of the liturgy in 1970. I had no idea it was compromised, how could I? In Oakland, at the cathedral with Brahms, Beatles, Temple and Dixieland, it was a musical orgy. But I knew underneath all the visceral excitement was the living skeleton that is the Ritual of the Divine Liturgy, the Holy Mass. It,at once, made sense, made one love, made one aware of each other's importance in all things seen and unseen.
    I followed the paths that both Christ, His Church and (for good or ill) her "agents" placed before me. And I sure as snot knew it all by my second assignment as a choir director at a major parish at 22.
    I knew so much that when I was in my fifties I was still cocky and obnoxious enough to parce and fisk the occasional writings of one Wm. Mahrt I'd run into on the internet via Adoremus or other reprints, and was sure my polemics were more informed than his in his own insulated world a stone's throw away in Palo Alto.
    When I first heard of a CMAA colloquium via a forum, "Six Days of Musical Heaven," my first thought was "how arrogant!" That was 2005. But by following the lead to Musica Sacra, I attended a colloquium in 2006. Tho' I came from DC still feeling a bit like an alien in a foreign land, from the first compline, Wm. Mahrt was not whatever pedigog I had pigeon-holed in my mental fortress. He changed my life forever, being, at once, the living voice of Jesus chanting the Hallel, the St. Gregory of vision and servitude, and St. Cecilia, the pure voice of the Bride of Christ singing the Song of Songs.
    I can't say how many can share similar encounters and transformations, but I suspect I'm not at all alone.
    I've met a lot of bishops, a couple of cardinals and they're great apostles, disciples and witnesses. I've never met anyone like Bill Mahrt. That's the truth, and that's that.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    It's a tie right now! God bless you all.
    C
  • chonakchonak
    Into the lead...
  • BenBen
    Hahaha! this is great: Dr. Mahrt is leading Cardinal Dolan.
    Thanked by 1E_A_Fulhorst
  • melofluentmelofluent
    It is right and just!
    SDG
    Thanked by 2E_A_Fulhorst Ben
  • chonakchonak
    If you really like the idea, you can go Chicago-style and vote with multiple PCs or browsers! :-)
  • CharlesW
    Proxy sites are good. :-)
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Richard and Charles, excuse me, I gave Larry our word that we, of all people, follow the RULES.
    We do this fair and square, or we're chumps like the rest of the world.
    Thanked by 1E_A_Fulhorst
  • chonakchonak
    Kinda late for that, ain't it, Melo?
  • CharlesW
    Must have gotten lost somewhere in the obfuscation.
  • chonakchonak
    Yeah, I don't even read Melo's posts any more if they're longer than two lines, 'cause the obfuscation kicks in about there. Not my fault. :-)
  • CharlesW
    LOL!
  • WendiWendi
    Well I only voted once. I don't live in Chicago.
  • CharlesW
    I know this much. If I ever run for any kind of office, I want Ben as my campaign manager. :-)