• Is anyone using the music of Joseph Rheinberger? There are some very nice settings of the Advent Propers and of course his Masses are great.
  • CharlesW
    I have used some of his smaller works, but haven't tackled any of his larger compositions.
  • JahazaJahaza
    James Wetzel has programmed Rheinberger regularly at St. Agnes in NYC, last Sunday (Advent II) for example:

Missa Brevis in F Major, Op. 117 – Josef Rheinbeger (1839–1901)
    Ex Sion – Rheinberger
    Deus, tu convertens – Rheinberger
    Rorate caeli – Rheinberger

Earlier this fall:

October 28th – Christ the King/30th Sunday
    Mass in E Flat Major, Op. 109, ‘Cantus Missae’ – Josef Rheinbeger (1839–1901))
    Dignus est Agnus – Malcolm Williamson (1931–2003)

• I'll be doing his Rorate Coeli on the 4th Sunday of Advent.
  • GavinGavin
    I love his organ music!
    Thanked by 1jpal
  • TCJ
    I have a collection of trios by him which I've used for preludes, though I've not seen them in well over a year. I should probably dig through all my old music and see if I can find them again.
  • Rheinberger never composed a phrase that wasn't very well crafted. His Masses are noteworthy and the motets should be known by every good SATB choir. And as Gavin said, the organ works are special, all the way from the masterwork Passacaglia from Sonata No. 8 to the small works like the Monologues and the Trios.

I would recommend two recordings: "Sincere in Memoriam" - Gloriae Dei Cantores (includes the Masses and a few motets); and the "Drei Lateinische Hymnen" Op. 96, (paired with works of Michael Haydn) from The Madeleine Choir School.
  • The choir I sing in has sung his Salver Regina, Ave Regina caelorum and will be singing Puer natus for Christmas.
  • Oh thank all of you so much. We do a number of his motets and one of his Masses. I believe we may have done another Mass by Rheinberger that was orchestrated. I need to find out the opus numbers. I do love his organ music as well and will check out the recordings!
    Thanked by 1R J Stove
  • Rheinberger's Eighth Organ Sonata is probably his best known composition for that instrument. Brahms (when writing his Fourth Symphony) might have derived from it the notion of a finale-passacaglia.

I have played isolated movements from this particular sonata at Offertory, Communion, etc. They work well, and though tricky, are not overwhelmingly difficult.
  • I'd love to do more Rheinberger, but I'm not the boss; I'm the weirdo chorister who thinks that 19th c Catholic church music actually exists and is musically/liturgically viable now.
  • @Jeffrey--not only exists and is viable, but there are many pieces that are gems, including everything I can think of by Rheinberger. In one context or another, I've sung most of his works. (His organ pieces are, in general, beyond my limited skills and lack of practice organ.)

I used the Mass in C, Op. 169 with my Anglicans for Easter Day several years ago. The Agnus Dei is a real humdinger to learn and appreciate, but what great writing!

• Come to my parish Jeffrey, Father Perrone would love to have you sing with us! We sing lots of 19th c. Catholic Church music.
    Thanked by 1Jeffrey Quick
  • This CD of Rheinberger-Brahms choral works is superb:

http://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/dc.asp?dc=D_CDA67559&vw=dc
  • Ruth, I'd love to, but my current hour commute to Sunday Mass is quite enough; I don't think I could manage a 4-hr commute. I've never been there; I pass through Detroit frequently on family business, but there's never time or the right time to stop on by.
    Thanked by 1Ruth Lapeyre