Theodore Dubois?
  • Apparently this "One-hit wonder" (7 last words) wrote quite a bit of liturgical music, and it's starting to see the light of day. There have been several recordings recently by the Chorale Franco-Allemande de Paris (adequate, but barely) and one on Atma by the Choeur philharmonique du Nouveau Monde (a better group). There are some scores on cpdl. He was choirmaster and then organist (Saint-Saen's replacement) at the Madeleine.

I have a great interest in reclaiming 19th c. church music, but after living with these for awhile, I'm not convinced. The joinery is solid, but the ideas aren't terribly distinctive. I could see a use for some of the smaller Ordinaries (3-4 v. with organ). But at its worst, this music seems more vulgar than the worst of Gounod (who at his best was a fine sacred music composer indeed).

I'm mostly curious to see if anyone else has encountered this music, and what their impressions were.
  • Jeffrey,

I have sung a few of his works - he has a nice 3 or 4 part men's Mass Ordinary. I grew up at a church that liked to sing British hymns and descants, Communion Services-turned into Masses and also 19th century French Romantic stuff, including some of the music of Samuel Rousseau, whose recording is available here - it's pretty good for a parish of only 350 families: http://www.amazon.com/Samuel-Rousseau-Messe-Pastorale/dp/B005XS4ZYQ

It left a strong impression on me at the time - what it means to me now, after having discovered chant, the Extraordinary Form of the Mass, propers - I don't know. We grow and change, I guess...
  • CharlesW
    Many of the 19th century French organists were primarily liturgical musicians. Of course, they did write in other styles and formats for other audiences. Liturgy in France, even today, is not your standard U.S. Catholic fare. The French have always been a bit different, and appear to me to be proud of those differences. I play the Dubois "Grand Choeur" in B-flat for postlude from time to time. IMSLP has some of his other works. Besides, who are we to criticize a whole century of composition? It will be really interesting to hear what a future time thinks of minimalism and dissonant 20th century organ music. They may still hate it in 200 years.
    Thanked by 1RedPop4
  • marajoymarajoy
    I can't say I have any familiarity with his sacred music, but his few pieces I've encountered (the slightly-famous Toccata, and Grand Choeur http://youtu.be/rwrP1Bab3SA ) I've liked and used as postludes.
  • Kathy
    Not my favorite composer. I think his 7 Last Words are needlessly difficult to learn and sing.
  • CharlesW
    I didn't say he is my favorite, but he is OK. I am more of a Vierne guy.

I would love to see the time return when anybody's 7 last words were regularly sung each year. There was such a time, in my city, when most of the major churches did so. Doesn't happen much these days.
  • Whoa! Kathy! Is that not the Emperor in 'Amadeus' when he says, Too many notes! :) I like this piece a lot. We used it during a Stations of the Cross service. It was very beautiful and quite a religious experience. If somebody can show me how to upload my parish's recording onto this site, I'll post it. I'm getting a message that the uploaded file was too big - (I'm just trying to post the 'Stabat Mater'...)
    Thanked by 1noel jones, aago
  • CharlesW
    That's what my organ prof said about Reger, "too many notes!"
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • kevinfkevinf
    The Seven Last Words were sung in many places as a concert piece. I have found that score in many Catholic and Protestant churches. There is a beautiful Ave Verum out there also
  • Kathy
    "Too many notes"? I don't see the comparison.

There are things that are difficult to learn and sing, because they are rich and interesting. The Amen at the end of the Messiah is difficult, for example, but pays off musically. That's fine.

Istm that Dubois' Seven Last Words are difficult, without the payoff. Are they very beautiful, do you think?
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    From the late 1940s to the mid 1950s until we moved away from the Indiana town not far from Bloomington, I was exposed to Good Friday performances of the Dubois Seven Last Words of Christ at the local Methodist Church of which my family were members. For many of these performances, the organist (first on a 12-rank Kilgen tracker, then on the "new" 60-odd rank Kilgen-Roosevelt electropneumatic purchased from a Methodist church in St. Louis) was Oswald ("Ozzie") Ragatz of the music faculty of Indiana University, and advanced piano students from the church, including my talented sister, also played in a combined organ-piano accompaniment arranged from the full orchestral score. Some of the soloists came from IU with the others from the church, which had a highly successful three choir program (senior choir, high school choir, junior choir). I sang, first in the junior choir, then in the high school choir, occasionally also in the senior choir. The performances were in English, and by the time we moved from there at the beginning of my freshman year of high school, I knew the score by heart. Subsequently, when I was older, I sang the baritone solo parts on several occasions, in both English and in Latin.

For me, the Dubois was part of my musical upbringing, so my favorable disposition to the work was formed early on, although later I realized that it was very much a French romantic composition, probably neither worse nor better than other such works of the period. My first exposure to the Saint-Saëns Christmas Oratorio some dozen years later impressed me in much the same way, except that this work was not ingrained within my psyche. Oddly enough, that first exposure was also in a Methodist church, this time in Virginia, and I was the bass soloist. I think that the performances of the Dubois were probably (except for era differences) analogous to church performances of the Bach St. John Passion on Palm Sunday or Good Friday that I've encountered on several occasions.

There are several very dramatic moments in the Dubois, in the First Word ("Father, Father, Father forgive them, for they know not what they do" ... "He is death guilty, He is death guilty, take him, take him, let us crucify him. Be his blood, aye! Be his blood on us and on our children!" ... "Then they did crucify Jesus, and the two thieves, one on His right hand, the other on His left hand.") and in the Fifth Word ("I am athirst!" ... "Thou wouldst fain destroy the temple. If thou be Jesus, Son of the Father, now from the cross descend thou, that we behold it, and believe on thee when we behold it. If thou art king over Israel, save thyself, then!"). There are moments of tenderness and poignancy, too, in the Second Word tenor/baritone duet ("Verily thou shalt be today in paradise with me. Amen, so I tell thee." "Hear, O Lord, and remember me, when Thou comest into Thy kingdom.") and in the Third Word ("See, O woman! here behold thy Son beloved." ... "Is there mortal, who not feeleth to behold her where she kneeleth, so woeful, and all forlorn?"). Of course, much of the work is given over to the Soprano, Tenor, and Baritone soloists with little or no choral participation. The final chorus "Adoramus te, Christe/Christ we do all adore Thee" is frequently heard separately, but seems, at least to me, a little trite when taken out of context and performed as a motet, especially as it fades away.

Unlike Kathy, I never found the Dubois needlessly difficult to learn and sing ... but that others have different reactions doesn't surprise me at all.
    Thanked by 1Kathy
  • CharlesW
    I think we have come through a phase when it was popular to condemn Romantic composers, based on some really bad scholarship favoring the mostly Lutheran German Baroque. Not bad music, to be sure, but rattling flutes, off-pitch temperaments, and wheezy wind supplies never did much for me. I think I will stay with my Catholic Romantics and their listenable instruments.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • matthewjmatthewj
    His one hit wonder is the Seven Last Words? .... I thought his Adoramus Te Christe was used by everyone. Everywhere.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Oh! That's from the Seven Last Words! Oh.... oh.
    Thanked by 1E_A_Fulhorst
  • I was listening again to some Messes breves this morning, and decided that I was shortchanging Dubois musically. One thing I realized is that the performance was by a rather large choir with a large dynamic palette. The contrasts seemed overdone, but they might not be so with 8 or 12 singers. It would be interesting to know what forces Dubois had at his disposal. And I'd like to hear some of this from a choir in the English tradition.

I've decided it's a pleasure. A guilty pleasure, to be sure.
  • Dubois's Offertoire in B Minor for organ is most beguiling to play and to hear, with a totally unexpected series of harmonic twists in the last 10 measures or so.
  • Mark P.
    Here is Steven Costello singing (beautifully in my estimation) "Hodie mecum eris in Paradiso" from Dubois "Seven Last Words" with full orchestral accompaniment: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_9xL507efw
  • Mark P.
    I think I messed up the link and can't delete the posting!
  • BenBen
    no, it's right!
    Thanked by 1Mark P.