Good speakers on the liturgy?
  • Hello all,

My pastor is trying to gradually move our parish toward a better understanding of liturgy and a greater appreciation for reverent liturgy and good music. Many people in our parish would certainly be open to that, so he wants to have someone come and give some talks on liturgy and music, especially on Sacrosanctum Concilium and what that document *actually* says about the liturgy and about music. Anyway, long story short, he asked me to see if I knew of anybody who was knowledgeable in this area that would come and do a one or two day "educational parish retreat" on liturgy. So I came right home and decided to ask if anyone on here has any recommendations for good speakers on this subject that we could try to get to come and do that.

So...any recommendations?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or help.
  • Ally
    You could contact the Liturgical Institute at Mundelein Seminary.

Fr. Martis is the Director, Dr. McNamara is the assistant Director. One of our profs is Chris Carstens, Director of the office of Sacred Worship in Lacrosse. All good speakers! Fr. Martis and Mr. Carstens did "Mystical Body, Mystical Voice" presentations together on the new Roman Missal all over the country.
    Thanked by 1ElizabethS
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Dr. Paul Ford, Professor-Liturgy, St. John's Seminary, Camarillo, CA.
    Thanked by 1ElizabethS
  • ryandryand
    I don't know much (anything) about him, but a friend of mine once mentioned a CD by Fr. Joseph Fessio which goes through BXVI's Spirit of the Liturgy.

Being a priest, he might not have time to visit for a seminar, but you never know! Try contacting him and see what he can do. Apparently his talk is very good.
    Thanked by 1ElizabethS
  • ElizabethS
    I'm working on doing the same type of series. I think this could be a very good thing. I'm in a similar position. Do you have any $$$$ to pay a speaker or re-imburse for travel expenses? I would determine that first as it will either narrow or broaden your options.
    If you can pay someone a speaking stipend and travel costs, obviously that gives you more options.
  • Yes, we would provide a speaking fee and travel costs.
  • I'd highly recommend Father Jeremy Driscoll, OSB. His home is Mount Angel Abbey in Oregon.
  • Perhaps the best one would be Fr. Uwe Michael Lang. He is at the London Oratory and used to serve as an official at the Congregation for Divine Worship. He has written extensively about liturgy.

Another excellent option would be Msgr. Wadsworth, executive secretary for ICEL. He, too, has given extensive talks on music and the liturgy.
  • dad29
    Fr. Robert Skeris, Ph.D. is not only a scholar of liturgy, but a practiced and highly effective teacher and speaker on the topic. He's also very familiar with sacred music as a practitioner, and has been involved in the musico-liturgical scene in the US and Europe since the mid-'50's.

He lives in the USA (private-message me on this board and I'll give you his address) and is reasonably flexible in scheduling appearances.