Hymns for Advent and Holy Family
  • Mgr Kevin Nichols (1929–2006), author of 'In bread we bring', 'Our Father, we have wandered' and other hymns, asked me to edit two anthologies of his poetry. Both were published by 'Sursum Corda' the imprint of St Mary's Cathedral, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK, one of them posthumously. However, among his unpublished poems and hymns are the two I attach here. I see no reason why they shouldn't be made available to anyone who might use them. (Mgr Kevin envisaged his Holy Family hymn being sung to Holst's 'Cranham' tune for 'In the bleak midwinter', and we have sung it that way for a few years here in Newcastle. For the Advent hymn I don't think he specified a tune: we shall be singing it for the first time this Advent, to the 'Winchester New' tune of 'On Jordan's Bank'.) If you wish to use either, there is no need to worry about copyright, but an acknoweldgement of the author would, of course, be appropriate.
    Thanked by 1Patricia Cecilia
  • Beautiful. Thank you.
  • Dear Ambrosius,

Would you kindly email the texts from Msgr. Nichols to vince@ilpmusic.org. Thank you!