What songs are sung during Lent?
  • Hi everyone!
    I am brand new to this forum! I have been browsing lately and I find everyone's insight here so helpful. I am new choir director and always trying to plan ahead. I am slowly planning for lent but I am confused on what songs are omitted and what songs are not? I was wondering if anyone can help me out. From my understanding and research the Glory, Alleluia, and Exit songs are not to be sung and everything else is to be sung softly with little music. Is there any "official guideline" with all these rules? I would like to explain to my choir members why we don't sing certain songs.

Thank you.
  • CharlesW
    All I can tell you is what my pastor has directed me to do. No preludes, postludes, or organ solos. I do program entrance, communion and recessional hymns. We still sing communion Propers and sometimes a choral composition that fits the season for offertory. The Gloria and anything containing an alleluia may not be used. Others may do differently.
  • To help you keep your job, go through your files fast and you should find a list of music sung last year, especially during holy week, all typed up in one form or another. You may find that there are certain things that they are used to doing. "We only do the even numbered readings and psalms at the Vigil." "Oh, because it's an even numbered year....I suppose that makes sense." "No, we only do the even-numbered ones." Maybe they look at the cornerstone of the church and use that date to make this decision.

Having to explain why you are not singing certain songs is a dangerous act. Writing in purple means that the comment is humorous but, like this, one also dead serious. The people think that they know more than we do. Try not to dissuade them. It's futile and can drive you to drink and when you live in a dry county (welcome to the South) that's really frustrating.

At the same time you should find a couple of sheets showing what they sang during Lent...singers/directors get crazy during that time and tend to try to write things down, so there is more chance of finding written records -usually on salmon or other strangely colored paper stock (do not have a clue why, unless it is to keep from throwing away the illegally copied music on white paper to save money - when in reality, it should all be thrown away.

Welcome to the forum. You'll be excited/depressed to know that the average RC choir director/director of music who is hired to reform the music lasts 4 years, though certain situations rapidly fizzle and fall apart quicker and some, like Dr. Mahrt and the St. Ann Choir stay together for years. When he posts a message, pay close attention, it's bound to be something very important and useful to read.
  • canadashcanadash
    We do what CharlesW does. We also sing the Missa XVII for Lent and Advent. If you have never sung these Masses, you may consider adding only the Agnus or Kyrie, or Sanctus, or two of these so as not to overwhelm the choir. I've never heard of not singing a Recessional hymn. Does the priest exit in silence?

• Adam WoodAdam Wood
    frogNoel makes a good point. Do what they did last year.

The best advice I have ever gotten about starting a job at a new parish came from my brother:
    Don't make any changes for at least a year.

Depending on the situation, this is not always 100% possible. But it's still damn good advice.

(Also, his observation regarding oddly-colored copy paper is spot-on.)
  • chonakchonak
    There's nothing in the GIRM directing that a recessional hymn be sung, or forbidding it, either. After all, the Mass is over then. At the CMAA colloquium Masses, the priest(s) and servers usually exit to an organ processional; or in silence, if the Mass is a Requiem: and -- man, that is quite remarkable!
  • thank you for your insight! as to doing what they did last year, the parish is a bit disorganized and from what i hear everyone was doing their own thing. our parish has 9 different choirs and people have a mentality of "i've been here for so long don't correct me." our new pastor is trying to break that mentality slowly but all in good time, hopefully sooner rather than later. again, your insight is much appreciated!
  • ryandryand
    thelonious,

I am in a similar situation, with the various choirs all doing their own thing. I came into the position "with thunder" as a friend described it, and made a few enemies pretty quickly.

We'd like to see changes happen immediately, but we've got to remember that slow and steady wins the race. I probably set myself back a few months by trying to ask them too much too soon.

It's frustrating! How does one "direct" a program where each group operates independently, and does not want any orders from "above" (their hired music director)? I've found that just being patient and encouraging gets them on my side, and then when the parishioners started to speak up about the quality of music at the masses I play, suddenly the other musicians got pretty interested in a few of the ideas I had presented to them.
    Thanked by 1noel jones, aago
  • canadashcanadash
    You know, I came into my position ten years ago with no desires to change anything. I have grown to appreciate the traditions of the church and grow away from the Praise and Worship music I knew growing up. I have made changes over the years. They have been very slow, although more in the last year, due to the change in Pastors. I think, by the time we really started changing things (adding all the propers for example) I had gained the respect of the choir.

There are still grumblings, but the other day I had a number of people standing up for my choices as well. Do take your time. The propers at Communion are a great way to begin. You can even begin with some Taize chant with the verses from the SEP (Simple English Propers). Choose chants that match the propers. Then, introduce the SEP a year or so later. We did this, and it worked very well. You could begin at Lent, or next fall. Slowly wins the race.

As for many groups? I have no idea, unless it comes from the Pastor, which it did in our case.
    Thanked by 1noel jones, aago
  • During Lent, why not sing the Marian Antiphon for the season? Ave Regina Caelorum I believe is the correct one and provided the clergy don't hang about after the dismissal, it is usually just long enough for them to make their getaway.
  • Welcome!

This Hymnal has suggested hymns for Lent that might be worthy of your consideration.
  • The last section of the Choirbook Anthology has a few and some new and old hymns you've never heard. .
  • @ryand & @canadash - i agree. slow and steady does win the race.
    @ Paul_Onnonhoaraton- thanks for that insight. i wish i could order all of them! i see they have an SATB version, I assume the difficulty of the pieces might be a little hard right? Have you worked with this hymnal?
    @frogman - I just purchased this book last week. hope to get it soon!

thanks everyone for your insight!
  • At the end of the day, I find it helpful to work with your pastor to find ways to compromise at first. My pastor was ordained in 1985, so he likes Haugen, Haas, etc. but sometimes they'll surprise you. Now that we have a great organ and organist, we're slowly integrating good, solid hymnody (always a good place to start) and even using some Chabanel psalms to reintroduce the assembly to the lasting traditions of the church with regard to music. But I agree that you have to be patient...and above all else, even if your pastor REALLY likes a certain hymn that you find distasteful, defer to him out of respect...but in those cases, I make sure my choir makes MUSIC out of it and not just noise.

My pastor also gives me free reign during preparation/offertory hymns...so I've started using that bit of valuable time to introduce more chant-like melodies, etc.