Help for Our Lady of Guadalupe on 12/12
  • I am preparing for an evening mass on the feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe on 12/12/2012.

Would you have ideas/suggestions.

What I normally do is look up the propers for these feasts, typically going to an EF resource from the Maternal Heart Chapel website which has liturgy leaflets for just about everything. I don't think that the chants changed for feasts that much from the EF to the newer OF.

The leaflet for Our Lady of Guadalupe: http://maternalheart.org/propers/Propers of the Saints/Dec 12 - Our Lady of Guadalupe/Our Lady of Guadalupe.pdf

I only have the correct introit from the SEP.

I had planned on using the Arcadelt Ave Maria for the offertory, but I would like to use the correct text for the communion if possible, as I would rather not have to resort to one of the 7 ad libitum chants if I can avoid it (I like to aim for a reasonably high standard).

Also, does anyone know if a Gloria is correct for this day? (I really ought to get myself an ORDO!)
  • melofluentmelofluent
    HM, Where in the SEP are propers for OLOG? I can't find them in my copy index.
    We're having a big hullabaloo at our convention center and the schola is planning just to sub the communios (SEP/Simple Choral Grad.) from Jan.1 (Mother of God.)
    And, oh yeah, I'd plan on a Gloria, were I you. No one will die if it's not called for. And, of course, it balances its singing on Dec. 8 IC.
  • incantuincantu
    Here are the propers for Our Lady of Guadalupe, performed by my volunteer choir several years ago. It was our first foray into chant, long before we started using St. Gall and Laon manuscripts.

Salve sancta parens

Quae est ista

Alleluia Flores apparuerunt

Elegi

Non fecit taliter

I hope this is helpful.

www.euouae.com
    Thanked by 1tomboysuze
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Gracias, Sven, but we're on the diversity is our strength multicultural bus this year. I'm commited to the communio in English, chanted and then homophony, that's it.
    What's really ironic is that for choral pieces, the English schola is doing Spanish villancicos by Guerrero and others specifically about OLOG!
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Spanish villancicos by Guerrero

in Latin, yes?
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    re: Guerrero, via wikipedia

After returning to Spain for several years, he decided to travel to the Holy Land, which he finally was able to do in 1589. His adventure included visits to Damascus, Bethlehem, and Jerusalem; on the return trip his ship was twice attacked by pirates, who threatened his life, stole his money, and held him for ransom. His ransom must have been paid, for he was able to return to Spain; unfortunately he had no money, and endured a series of misfortunes including some time spent in debtor's prison; at last his old employer at Seville Cathedral extricated him, and he resumed working for them. His book on his adventurous visit to the Holy Land was published in 1590 and was a popular success (it is reasonable to suppose that Cervantes knew it).

I think I would like to read that book. Would put the current usage of the word "piracy" with regards to church musicians into a more realistic context.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Nope, in the Spanish dialect of the time, Adam. But I was incorrect about Guerrero, that's a Christmas piece were working towards.
    For OLOG, De la Virgen attributed to Antonio de Cabezon (d.c. 1566) and Madre de amor y consuelo attr. M. Angel Viro.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    cool
  • I've run into a snare. It is considered feast in diocese in the USA, but it isn't even listed in the ORDO for Diocese in Australia... BAH! Going to have contact the diocesan office on this one.
  • chonakchonak
    OL of Guadalupe is patroness of America (as a whole), so the day gets a boost here.
  • I've found some other resources and it turns out that it is only a memorial in Australia, so no gloria will be necessary.

My thoughts at this stage are to use a plainchant mass setting as a nod to the fact that we are in Advent, but to use some "prettier" and less "solemn" settings. Kyrie XII, Sanctus XVIII and Agnus Dei Ad Libitum II is my preferred selection for Marian liturgies.

I will probably have "Hail Queen of Heaven" for the Entrance, the Slavonic "Sub Tuum" for the offertory (3 voice harmonised hymn), though I would have liked to use Arcadelt's Ave Maria. I'll select a suitable chant for communion followed with the hymn "O Sanctissima" and the Simple Tone Salve Regina for the Recessional. I know that it isn't the correct antiphon for the season, but considering that we would be about to have a procession to the local abortion clinic, I think the text is more fitting and has the advantage that most people do know it.
  • Where would one go to figure out the propers in the OF? There's nothing in the GR for OLoG, so... is it the same as the EF?
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    The Missal propers in the OF for OLoG do indeed correspond to chants in the repertory. The Introit is Signum Magnum (from the Assumption), and the second option for Communion is Non Fecit Taliter (from the EF for the OLoG). (The first option for the Communion in the Missal is not in the chant corpus - at least not that I could track down.)

As we do not use the traditional Gradual or Alleluia at our OF Masses, I will use these for the Introit and Communion, and take Elegi for our Offertory from the EF.
    Thanked by 1hartleymartin
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Out here in foggy CenCA we're doing Adam's SEP setting of Exsulta filia Sion, followed by Richard Rice's Choral Communio version. It's more of an option/three/four decision. English schola is folded within the combined parish coros, so we only have minimal responsibilities. So while the EHMC's/coros are communnicating, we'll accompany that time with that proper.
    What's really kind of a hoot is that outside of that and two 17c Mexican villancicos, the rest of the music will be Benedictgal's least faves, Flor y Canto done conjunto/ranchero style. At least no mariachis will play during the Misa.
  • Looks like I am a bit stuck then.

However, I might change the program slightly. I will have to use one of the Ad Libitum Communion Chants (probably O Taste and See) and then I'll have "Hear Thy Children, Gentlest Mother" (set to Drakes Broughton)

It stands that I will use "Hail Queen of Heaven the Ocean Star" for the Introit, and probably the Slavonic Sub Tuum for the offertory.
  • This whole affair would be slightly easier if I had a copy of the approved lectionary for my diocese... as though I could afford to buy a set.
  • chonakchonak
    Is there a hand missal with all the readings?
  • DougS
    Chas in CA, do you know the work of Craig Russell on music of the California missions?
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    As for copies of the lectionary, in addition to hand missals, in the US there are "study editions" of the lectionary volumes available from LTP. They're not super cheap, but paperback (like a textbook) and certainly cheaper and of less quality than one would want to use for Holy Mass. They are laid out just like the lectionary volumes - except the don't reprint duplicate readings, instead providing a reference to another page, they don't repeat the response of the responsorial psalm in between the verses, and they aren't typeset to avoid page turns in readings. Not anything special, but handy to have in the office.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    No, Doug, I do remember another CA composer from the sixties who did choral arrangements from the missions, can't remember his name, tho' prominent at the time.
  • California Mission Music - composite mass and hymns, compiled and edited by John Biggs, 1978 (Consort Press)
    ?
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Bingo. Thanks, AC. I met Biggs a couple of times at ACDA conventions. Nice man.
  • Claire H
    Jeff O. or someone else, do you have settings of the Psalm for tomorrow's feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe?
  • Claire H
    English psalm, I mean! "You are the highest honor of our race" is the refrain.
  • Claire H
    Never mind...I wrote something. :)
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I'm doing my first OLOG Mass tomorrow. It's been sort of exciting learning some of the music. The processional hymn the Spanish folks picked is actually quite a sturdy hymn tune. The four hymns will be in Spanish, the Psalm and alleluia chanted in English, and the ICEL chant Mass + Angus Deity XVIII.