Spanish translation(s) of the Roman Missal
  • I am seeking some advice from anyone who is up to date on the process of revision of liturgical translations of the Missale Romanum, editio typica tertia into Spanish. I have been asked by a Diocesan commission to compose a bilingual setting of the Gloria, but have also been advised that the current translation approved for use in the United States is being revised. This might result in the composition (scheduled for use in the Spring of 2013) becoming obsolete before long.

I would welcome information from anyone who is well-informed about the present situation. Thanks, and God bless!
  • Breaking up the Gloria into a bilingual piece is never a good thing because it leads to the Responsorial-type edition. It also turns the piece into a musical Tower of Babel. Furthermore, the Holy Father made a strong case, in Sacramentum Caritatis, in favor of using Latin at multi-lingual (in our case, bilingual) liturgies.

The last time that the USCCB took any action was back in 2004 when the committee met in Laredo, Teas. Maybe the best one to ask is Fr. Heliodoro Lucatero, the director of worship for the Archdiocese of San Antonio, as he was on the Committee.

You might be able to get hold of the Mexican version since that might be the working document for the USCCB. It is out already, but, we are not permitted to use it.
    Thanked by 1Pedro d'Aquino