OCP Stranglehold...
  • Hello dear colleagues. This is my first post to this wonderful forum, but it is indeed under frustrating circumstances. While I am a trained musician, I lack the liturgical experience of so many outstanding people I have met at CMAA-sponsored Chant Intensives and Colloquiums. I have been humbled to be called to be the choir director at our small parish in Wimberley, Texas, for the last seven years, and I am honored to be a part of such incredible Catholic servants and friends. The road to retrieving our Catholic musical heritage here has been challenging, to say the least, but we are making progress with the help of our dedicated choir members, and the extended efforts of Adam Bartlett and Jeff Ostrowski.

Our humble congregation is, after two years, beginning to appreciate the Simple English Propers, and the renewed interest in Catholic music, both in English and in Latin. We have been blessed by pastors who recognize our Catholic heritage and are not embarrassed by it.

That said, the main reason for my post is that we are still held hostage, to more than a minor degree, by the influences of major music publishing houses like OCP and GIA. While I myself have in the past felt their publications useful and even enjoyable, it has been only recently that I have seen the insidiousness of their reach, and how most of their offings are best suited more for charismatic renewal services than the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass. That is why I recently contacted OCP about their latest cover for the 2013 Today's Missal Music Issue. I suppose if one had severe myopia, a truncated education in modern art, coupled with several shots of a strong alcoholic beverage, one might be able to make out the mere attempt at what appears to be a cross. But then again, it may be upside down as I write this. My desk is a mess, so it is truly difficult to tell.

Bottom line: My parish is making a concerted effort over the next year or two to wean ourselves off of this convoluted dribble. If your parish is somehow required to order this crap and use it for your weekly Masses, I will pray for you, as I hope you will pray for us. The sooner we can restore our parish to authentic Catholic worship in utilizing music worthy of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, the better ourselves, and especially, our children, will be. Please pray that we make the right decisions in the not-too-distant-future for our missals and hymnals. God Bless.
  • jpal
    Peter, welcome to the forum. We were 110% OCP until two years ago. Now we only get from them a few missalettes for daily Mass. We use the Vatican II Hymnal, and print anything we need for free from the web (from places with which I am certain you are familiar, judging by your post). We are no longer at the mercy of a publisher for limited repertoire, crazy responsorial psalms, horrendous artwork, etc. It's been a difficult transition (and one which we are in many ways barely beginning), but it is possible and there is much hope for the future.

Your situation seems very promising. We starved our congregation of OCP before tackling the "hearts and minds" bit. If folks are accepting the SEP and some Latin after two years, it should be much easier to begin moving away from OCP. In retrospect, we should have done that, probably.

Our parish is also planning renovations, beginning with the sanctuary (so it will finally look Catholic). We are also going to be getting an organ -- a hybrid used pipe organ + 4-rank Rodgers console and digital ranks. This to replace our (1979!!) 2-manual Allen.

jon
    Thanked by 1E_A_Fulhorst
  • donr
    Peter, yours prayers are need for our church Our Lady of Grace who so far have not seen the light to remove this horrible publisher from our pews (chairs actually).
  • chonakchonak
    [This thread went off-track for a while; I've tossed some of the comments.]
    Thanked by 1E_A_Fulhorst
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    [The below comment only makes sense in context of the off-track-ness. However, it is a good comment, in my opinion.]

Why does this keep happening?

Peace. Love. Chant.

Let's leave the arguing to the people trying to decide whether Folk Music or P&W will best appeal to the youth.
  • francis
    tnx Chonak
    Thanked by 1E_A_Fulhorst
  • Thank you, PeterB. I wish our parish could get away from OCP as well. I will propose something this year, but have little hope of change. I'll propose nonetheless.

Kathy
  • Maybe you could tell them how much money they'll save in the long run when they don't have to buy new books every year? My parish, due in part to this consideration (as well as finally having, praise God, a pastor who appreciates real sacred music), is probably going to be moving to the St. Michael hymnal next summer after decades of OCP. Deo Gratias!
    Thanked by 2teachermom24 ryand
  • P.S. Not to imply that the St. Michael hymnal is the paragon of real sacred music. But since we still pretty much have to have a hymnal here, this is a huge step up for us.
  • When we came to his parish 4.5 years ago they did have the SM hymnal along with the OCP missals. We switched to Music Issue two years ago anticipating the changes in the liturgy last Advent with the reasoning it would "make the transition easier". I never understood the logic of that, but the result is OCP all the way. Since the SM hymnal is in the recent memory of the parish, I think I could make a case for returning to that, especially if I can show it would save the parish money.

What about the "missals"--what are the reasonable substitutes for those? What do other parishes use who do not subscribe to OCP?

I'm going to make a proposal to our priest sometime after Christmas and would like to have as many reasonable options together as possible.

Kathy
  • If you want a missalette with "just the readings" Consider Sunday's Word from GIA. It's printed on bright white paper (as opposed to newsprint) and lasts for the entire year (rather than quarterly). It has the order of Mass (with the ICEL melodies) and then one other GIA "spotlight setting" but no other music. It has all the readings as well the opening and communion antiphons from the Missal as well as citations and antiphons for weekday Masses, but not the complete texts of the weekday readings. Bottom line--no hymns/song=cheaper book. and it looks better than the newsprint versions. We have a hardbound hymnal without the readings and just provided enough copies of the missalette for those who feel the need to read-along.
    Thanked by 1teachermom24
  • We're going to keep using OCP missalettes for the time being, but I think the Lumen Christi Missal might be a real possibility in a couple of years, especially when the organ accompaniments and the accompanying choir gradual become available. Check it out if you haven't done so yet - it's a really nice book.
    Thanked by 1teachermom24
  • I just went to the GIA website which says "Sunday's Word" no longer exists.
  • marajoymarajoy
    ^^^ maybe that is for the 2012 version?
    http://www.giamusic.com/search_details.cfm?title_id=20970
    Thanked by 1teachermom24
  • Melofluent,

Caritas and Veritas are linked, of course.
  • How I do wish we could get away from OCP or GIA. Can someone list some of the options and where to check them out.
    Thank you.
  • I am emboldened by the supportive comments here. Today, we opened our Liturgy with the Introit 'Christus vincit' (in Latin) and used an excerpt of Byrd for our Gospel Acclamation. The response from the congregation was very heartening. And the feedback from some our our choir was a thanksgiving of giving then something challenging! The tide CAN turn, my friends. We simply need to practice swimming against it.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Many, many congratulations to you and your choir, PeterB!