Anima Christi setting?
  • Ally
    I'm looking for a setting (SAB or SATB) of the "Anima Christi" for Lent this coming year. English or Latin.
    Recommendations?

Kevin Allen's is high on my list so far...

Thanks for your help!
  • Ally
    Francis - I just found yours. I like it too!
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    The original G Chant is in the Parish Book of Chant.

A the most common English version is "Soul of My Savior," which is available in Noel's "The Catholic Choir Book."
    Thanked by 1Ally
  • World Library Publications has an excellant SATB a cappella setting in English titled Anima Christi by Michael Burgo. I highly recommend it.
    Thanked by 1Ally
  • Ally
    Oh yes I've heard the Michael Burgo setting before! I think that is what I was looking for but didn't know that I was looking for it :)

Adam or Noel, which book is that one in? I didn't see it in the anthology.

Also...what do you all think about singing the chant and then a polyphonic setting (I mean, in a row)? The chant certainly wouldn't be hard to learn, I see. I can't believe I didn't look in that book!

Or, maybe I have the kids sing the chant, and the adults sing the Burgo setting. (It is the "official" prayer of our parish Lenten program). What do you think?
  • It's in Choirbook 1 - General. I'll do a general post about the CB series under discussions.

Thanked by 1Ally
  • redsox1
    Robert Powell's setting is stunning. The English text is beautifully set with gorgeous harmonic language. It is out of print-I can scan a copy to you if you would like.
    Thanked by 1Ally