Good alto harmony for Picardy - Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silence
  • Does anyone know of a particularly good alto line to accompany Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silence?
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    See how you feel about The English Hymal's harmonization.

http://archive.org/details/theenglishhymnal00milfuoft

Hymn num. 318
    p482 in the pdf
  • francis
    wrote this one out today just for you... the way I play it.

download score

listen to simulation
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    I thought catholicrose was asking for a 2-part SA setting (presumably without accompaniment), not a 4-part harmonization.
  • francis
    is that true catholicrose?
  • donr
    Whether Catholicrose likes it or not I love it.
  • Oh, yes I was looking any more interesting alto line than the one in the Adoremus Hymnal. Thank you Francis! That is definitely more interesting. I wonder how it would sound SA without accompaniment. I'll try it out.

I sing with a small women's choir. It is all sopranos, and then me = harmony. Luckily I get to pick any arrangement of anything : ) I also play the organ very passably - so I might use Francis' arrangement for that too if the SA harmony doesn't sound good alone. Thanks again!

Has anyone ever seen a more polyphonic arrangement of it? It seems to me like the melody might go well with another melodic part.
  • francis
    So sorry... here is an SA version, more contrapuntal.

download score

listen to simulation
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Though not SA, some might be interested in Gustav Holst's setting at CPDL.org. It is particularly nice, if you have a solid corps of tenors & basses.