Your favorite setting of "O holy night" for SAB or SATB?
  • I've had a request for it (it used to be an annual staple at the pre-liturgy prelude concert but I haven't programmed it in several years). The instrumental forces available: a single-manual-with-limited-stops/colors tracker, string quartet, flute, and clarinet; so a version with orchestration would be wonderful; a lovely choral version that could be arranged would be welcome (what's a few more hours arranging?). I'm really looking for a choral version with some of it solo.

Let the games begin! (I have put on my +4 armour.)
  • don roy
    i have one very straight forward setting with solos for the verse and 4 part for refrain. i found it years ago in an old carol collection. tommorow, ill take a look when i get to the office (long day, wednesday!) warning...its in d flat!!!
  • Don Roy, thank you--and Db is no problem; my organist was fooling around on Sunday and started playing it from memory in Db, then D, then C, then Eb...

Being primarily a singer/flutist/conductor and only a usefully competent keyboardist, I actually think Db is one of the easiest keys in which to play.

It may be that the one you are thinking of is the same one I cannot seem to locate in an old, small, blue book of motets.
  • francis
    My arrangement that I have used for the past three years. (also scored for string trio accomp with the piano... let me know if you are interested in that)

download score

listen to simulation
  • Liam
    Only in the original French. The very loose, treacly English paraphrase is unworthy of the French.
  • jpal
    One of the few Rutter pieces I ever recommend is his O Holy Night setting. I believe that his orchestration is excellent.

Here it is with organ. Having trouble finding a video of the performance with orchestra.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYyhLkQV6no