Agressive marketing
  • ryandryand
    Arrived to my office with a complimentary sample copy of Gather Comprehensive.

Thing is, I never asked for one.
    I have gotten a copy of a few other publishers' hymnals, but only by request. This is the first time that one was sent out-of-the-blue.

What struck me most was that it was addressed to me specifically. Some other publications (magazines, etc) have sent things to "Music Director," but not to my name specifically. I'm impressed that they took the time to figure out who I am, but also a little creeped out.

I had half a mind to put it back in the box and mark "Return to Sender."
  • CharlesW
    Don't waste the postage. Bring marshmallows and sticks for the first annual hymnal burning.
  • Ally
    Thanked by 1E_A_Fulhorst
  • ryandryand
    Charles,

In our case, it would be a burning of outdated missalettes and octavos stashed away in the basement.

I kind of like the idea (hey, it could be a "community building" event!), aside from the threat of causing a severe forest fire.

It might burn the entire state to the ground.
  • kevinfkevinf
    I received this book today and was appalled. The psalms are still those bloody paraphrases and the book shows not hardly any change. GIA is in throwback mode.Shame upon shame upon you.
  • BenBen
    Hey, if you can't burn them, send them my way! We do burns all the time. I could have over some like-minded friends and make an evening of it! :D
  • ryandryand
    I started writing this post saying that I'd love to come up there once the winter passes ... but then I thought, hey, this burn could keep us warm! We'd have fuel for days.

I propose a week-long retreat for midwest CMAA'ers. Bring your hymnals, bring your missalettes. We'll brave the snowy outdoors ... but who cares? The forest within a half-mile radius will be a tepid 72 degrees! Bring your shorts and t-shirts, winter be damned!
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Where in the (hopefully somewhat northerly) Midwest??
  • Careful about the fumes.
  • Yes, high sulfur content in some of those.
  • rich_enough
    We used to call it "Gather Reprehensive."
  • CharlesW
    We used to call it "Gather Reprehensive."

We still do!