Revised Grail Psalter and Copyright
  • By the way, my most profound apologies for using conventional copyright on this book. This is what it is required by the USCCB since it uses lectionary texts. We very badly wanted to provide a free and universal download of this book, split even by days, but there was no chance. We can't even offer a digital version for app creation etc. It is strictly died up in the corporate bureaucracy, which is sad and even tragic. Still, at least it is available. And it is a fantastic book in every way. Perhaps a more enlightened age will be upon us in the future in which the Catholic church will see the merit of releasing the Word of God to the world.

Source: http://www.chantcafe.com/2012/11/sing-gospel-easily.html

This Chant Cafe post prompted me to do some research. It turns out the Revised Grail Psalter (which our brothers sing from) is also under copyright. I have attached the copyright notice from the GIA website.
  • How sad. Just for info, though, I have encountered very few problems when asking GIA for permission to use the RGP. I requested permission to post them on communionantiphons.org, stipulating that there will be no charge for anyone to use them, and they simply granted permission.

Terrible that the Lectionary can't have such reasonable use.
  • USCCB - We, the people, pay their salaries. They "earn" no money on their own and they turn around and charge us for using the lectionary of the church.

Is this not sinful?

Are they afraid people will steal the lectionary?
    Thanked by 3Ben CHGiffen Salieri
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    I've been told that the strict enforcement of the copyright on the Lectionary is how the USCCB receives most of its income from its copyright on the New American Bible. While the ethics of that are certainly debatable, apparently it depends on this income as a vital part of its yearly budget. In principle I agree it should not be this way, but - if what I've been told is indeed the case - then until another income stream appears for them, it seems that practically speaking this will remain the case for the foreseeable future.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Simony.
  • CharlesW
    Perhaps if they didn't have so much money, they could accomplish less mischief. The organization is a bureaucracy.
  • chonakchonak
    They don't even make that much money off it: according to the 2011 annual report, the USCCB's royalty income was $1.7 million, out of a $192M budget.

http://www.usccb.org/about/financial-reporting/upload/2010-and-2011-Statements.pdf (page 5)

• SkirpRSkirpR
    They don't even make that much money off it: according to the 2011 annual report, the USCCB's royalty income was $1.7 million, out of a $192M budget.

Interesting... I was just repeating what I was told.
  • RobertRobert
    The financial situation also seems to get in the way of a decent translation of scripture -- the NAB is not the best translation out there.

In Canada we now have a version of the NRSV corrected according to Liturgiam Authenticam, which is not too bad, better than the NAB at any rate. I don't believe our bishop's conference earns any royalties on this one.

However, I envy the U.S. permission for the revised Grail psalms - much better for singing than the NRSV version of the psalms we are supposed to use in Canada. Happily we may still use the old Grail which is serviceable, if not as quite good as the new Grail.

The copyright restrictions on the revised Grail are unfortunate, but it seems that they are not too restrictive which is a good thing.
  • A simple email to GIA is all it takes to get unlimited permission to share your psalms for free online. Parish use is free without any further permission.

It could be a lot worse. Royalties are only involved if money is being exchanged, and there's not a lot of money involved--I'm one case I'm aware of, it's 5% of the selling price.
  • I've got a great idea! Let's charge for the word of God!

"Great idea, we've only got 348 Million plus change, keeping the word of God from them unless they pay for it, that'll improve the looks of our spreadsheet."

Who needs money changers in the temple, we've got bishops!

With an estimated 77 million Catholics in the USA, I'd like my $4.52 back, please.

At least the Benedictines admit that they did the Grail for money.
  • JennyH
    Jeffrey Tucker and others have written about this situation, with regard to GIA currently charging people money to print the Psalms. As if that wasn't bad enough, GIA (a private, for-profit company) also decides who gets to use the Psalms for Mass and who does not.

Jerry Galipeau has also complained bitterly about this situation. Jerry Galipeau works for WLP, and WLP would have given its right arm to own the Psalms, just as OCP would have.

In essence, Jerry Galipeau is very upset that GIA got to own the Mass Psalms, and WLP was not given the opportunity to own them (market them, sell them, etc.).
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    While I'm overall outraged at the situation, facts are still facts...

GIA does not "own" the Psalms. GIA is acting as the licensing agent, and most of the fee they collect goes back to Abbey that owns the translation.
    Also they only sort of "decide who gets use" them. My understanding is that they grant permission to everyone who asks, and that the terms are essentially identical for everyone.

It makes sense that the Abbey would use an agent, as the paperwork and hassle of keeping up with licensing is a pain, and it also makes sense that they would choose a company like GIA for this job. -- That is, it makes sense if you accept the notion that Intellectual Property is good and worth enforcing.

You don't have to over blow the financial "hardship" issue here to recognize the problems.

The central problem is not that it isn't "free like beer." Beer is cheap.
    The problem is that it isn't "free like speech."

We are not free (at any price) to remix, to edit, to alter, to build upon, to resell, to improve. We can't put the text of the Grail onto Wikipedia or release it through Project Gutenberg. We can't re-typeset it in Comic Sans, add illustrations of lolcats, and sell it on Etsy. We can't use it for a daily Psalm Tweet. We can't read it with gravitas over synthesized bass beats and post it to YouTube.

Makers of liturgical IP (translations, liturgies, music, etc) have an insider focus, as if the main goal or purpose of this work is ministering to and among the already-churched. Music ministers, liturgists, pastors, whoever- are using this material for their own community's benefit, and so it's okay (the thinking goes) that those communities that benefit pay a bit to subsidize the creation. And, since those communities operate with staff and budget and planning meetings- it's okay that there is administrative friction in managing all of it.

But these owners of IP are forgetting that we are called to evangelize, to spread the good news. Forget the money for a second- the friction is the biggest problem here, the lack of freedom to share. The fields of mission do not operate with administrative overhead and six-month pre-planning meetings. The ability to quickly find and share, the ability to retool for the needs of the people being ministered to, and the needs of the ministers themselves to work in mediums they find comfortable- these needs are being ignored by the owners of religious Intellectual Property.

The only alternative for ministers, artists, and the like is to fall back on pre-copyright traditionalist sources. This is, of course, a good result in many instances: the KJV and DR translations, Gregorian Chant, traditional hymnody, etc. But we cannot evangelize a faith that exists only in the artistic past. We should not need to teach people how to read Latin or understand Elizabethan English before they can have a non-licensed encounter with God's Word.
  • In essence, Jerry Galipeau is very upset that GIA got to own the Mass Psalms,

But he's wrong. GIA doesn't own th Revised Grail Psalter; the translation is owned by the Benedictine Monks of Conception Abbey. GIA is simply the administrator of the copyright.

Of course, the morality of Conception Abbey "owning" the translation is a completely separate question, but it is Conception Abbey, not GIA, that owns them.

EDIT: Adam's a ninja!
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • The difference between owning and administering is legally important but practically non-existent.

But in any case, I hope everyone read Adam's post above. It is very important. GIA has been generous with permissions and they are not breaking the bank with fees. But he is right that the real problem is that the current copyright status is forbidding innovation and evangelization. That's the really serious issue.

• Actually, that information is not accurate. The Confraternity owns the NAB and collects royalties (normally .05% of the sales, even when sold by religious institutions). You would have to get the Confraternity's books to see how much revenue they take in from selling the Lectionary each year. The reason the USCCB didn't want to take payments directly has to do with the fact that it would look really, really bad for the Bishops' Conference to rake in millions each year from selling indulgenced texts. However, I believe the Confraternity of Christian Doctrine is more or less an extension of the USCCB, yet their books are not online (to my knowledge). As an accountant, I can tell you this type of thing is not unusual if you are forced by law to have public books. There are 18,000 Catholic parishes in the United States: I can only imagine how much money the Confraternity receives each year from sales of the Lectionary.
    Thanked by 1noel jones, aago
  • chonakchonak
    Good point: for many non-profits, IRS filings are available on-line through guidestar.org, but there are no forms available at that site for the Confraternity of Christian Doctrine. Perhaps that means that CCD does not file the form.

As for income from the sale of Lectionaries, I doubt that is very much money, since few parishes buy new Lectionary volumes except when new editions are released. It's possible that more income comes from sales of bibles and "missalettes", with a little from hymnals that incorporate the Scripture readings.

• @chonak: millions of dollars comes each year from sale of the missalettes. If it weren't for the sale of missalettes which contain the Lectionary WLP would go out of business. I assume GIA and the others are in the same boat but have no way of knowing this.
    Thanked by 1JennyH
  • JennyH
    I think we need to keep the pressure up. Perhaps those with blogs can post about this subject. I'm pretty sure GIA is just banking on the fact that nobody will care about this ... it will be ignored ...
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    It will continue to be ignored regardless.
    Thanked by 1marajoy
  • chonakchonak
    Personally, I find the $1.7M figure plausible. If it represents a 5% royalty on sales, that would correspond to a $34M sales figure: a little under $2K, average, per parish. That's a plausible average budget for missalettes, right? It would cover 500 copies of OCP's annual book.
  • Does every single parish in the US buy around 500 annual missalettes? Wow...
  • kevinfkevinf
    Two parishes I know buy 1000 copies every year. 500 is probably average.
  • So the new translation of the breviary will use the RGP. While I like the translation I don't find this to be the best option. Any parish that attempts to print the Breviary text for something will need permission now? Didn't the council (and our Holy Father) call out for parishes to offer the Divine Office publicly occasionally? This puts a roadblock in the way. Then again, there is always the Latin.
  • Any parish that attempts to print the Breviary text for something will need permission now?

No.

http://www.giamusic.com/sacred_music/RGP/GrailLicense.cfm

Free Use for Which Written Permission Is Not Required

Parishes and other Ecclesial Communities may reprint the RGP as needed for celebrations within the specific community without obtaining written permission.

Composers

Composers are free to set the RGP at will, and may use their settings indefinitely within their own ecclesial communities, provided that no revenue is derived from such use. If any fees are attached to the sharing of a composer’s work, standard royalties will apply.