Traditional Cycle of Vespers Hymns?
  • I have formed a schola this year to sing sunday vespers each week. The basic repertoire outline will be: polyphonic hymn, magnificat, and seasonal Marian antiphon (in addition to the chanted responses, psalmody, etc. for vespers itself).

My question regards the hymn - there seems to be a revised list of hymns by season/feast, to fit the current Liturgy of the Hours. I am having trouble tracking this complete list down. From what I can see, the current list is different than the 1961 Liber, which in turn is different from the hymn collections of Victoria, Lasso, and Palestrina. I realize that many on this forum are not fans of the current Liturgy of the Hours. I also realize that there is no rubrical requirement to use certain hymns on certain days. Still, I would like to find the current hymn cycle list - at least as a point of reference.

Is there a good online resource for this?

• SkirpRSkirpR
    Refer to the Liber Hymnarius, the Latin edition of the Liturgia Horarum, or the 2010 Solesmes Antiphonale Romanum (Vespers for Sundays and Feasts).

The Hymns in the English Liturgy of the Hours were supplied by ICEL and are usually things you would have found in a hymnal/songbook from the mid-1970s. The words alone are given in the Liturgy of the Hours but there is music for most of them in Catholic Book Publishing's "Christian Prayer" - which has mostly Lauds and Vespers.

For a reference only to the Latin Liturgia Horarum, check out: http://www.almudi.org/Portals/0/docs/Breviario/fuentes/breviario.html
    Thanked by 1JaredOstermann