ICEL Chant Mass for the Assembly (2010)
  • Does anyone regularly use this setting of the mass ordinary?

I've been pushing it's use as much as possible, in the hope that perhaps a few years from now, graduates from my college will be in their Parish churches and one day will say "I remember we sang this chant mass back at college. It wasn't hard, and didn't sound bad either, perhaps we can give it a try here."

Although, I have to admit that I find the Gloria, based on Mass XV a bit boring at times, (I think that the Latin version actually sounds better), but it is quite a usable Gloria for Sundays in Ordinary Time.

I also have experimented a little with using the Latin originals of the same chants (Sanctus XVIII and Agnus Dei XVIII), and it seems to be fairly successful, especially if you print the music in the mass leaflet since the congregation is already familiar with the tune.
  • Our priest forbids this Ordinary setting. We may do any other setting. I don't know his reason for this. However, in looking at the Gloria, it seems that it would work well with a call and respond approach. A cantor might sing the first phrase, and the assembly sing the next phrase, etc., almost like a dialog of praise. I think it would work fabulously this way.
  • Quote: "Our priest forbids this Ordinary setting."

Why on earth would he? Especially since the ICEL Organ accompaniment is actually quite good for it too.

Most Glorias in chant have double-bar lines through-out, which suggests that they were originalyl sung antiphonally or alternating between the two halves of the choir sitting on either side of the chancel.

I have used divisions where it alternates between upper voices (Sop + Alto), lower voices (Ten + Bass) and then sung together (all voices). It works quite well.
  • CharlesW
    I use this mass every Sunday. It is simple and easy to sing. Granted, the Gloria is bland and boring but, again, simple and easily learned.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Cdubayou, I've defended the ICEL Glory as "not bland and boring" from a number of perspectives, including adorning it with varying densities of accompaniment, isons, drones, etc. I've also mentioned that our parochial school kids were taught it and have sung it by memory with fervor even before the September preview date.
    But having recently chanted it at All Saints, I realized the most obvious fact that argues against that contention, and augers well for the setting: one has to wrap up one's soul in the prayer enacted by chanting this setting or any other for that matter. Then the earth-bound constructs of a five note range, repetitious phrases, all that falls away from the act of singing like scales from eyes. I absolutely mean this, if it is prayed and not just performed or rendered, it transcends.
    Thanked by 2E_A_Fulhorst Jenny
  • Singing it every week. Even the Creed. We clip through it at a nice pace. Rythmn of the text and a a distinct mora vocis crucial. It takes time to develop some finesse.
  • BenBen
    I've found the ICEL gloria great for weekdays. I also agree with melofluent: if prayed well, it is most dignified and prayerful.

But you MUST not sing it slowly. You have to keep it moving, otherwise it sounds like a dirge.
  • CharlesW
    It is a dirge, or at least, I think it may have been originally. I like chant, but this one is a bit too dull for even me. I don't seriously object to it and use it weekly. But for Christmas Eve, I am looking for something a bit more joyful without having to do a work that sounds like, "The Charge of the Light Brigade."
  • Our priest forbids this Ordinary setting.

Why on earth would he?

Well, the old association of that Kyrie with weekdays in the year, of that Gloria with now-forgotten simplex feasts, and of that Sanctus and Agnus Dei with funerals, might have something to do with it. Not solemnis enough for Sundays.
  • The ICEL Gloria (XV) is far from boring! We sing it antiphonally cantor/congregation or schola/congregation. Jeff Ostrowski's imaginative accompaniment enhances this ancient tune. A while ago, a young couple, in discussing their wedding mass, asked if we could sing that "jazzy" Gloria? I wasn't sure what they meant--fearing some awful mainline publisher setting. Then, they began to sing the ICEL chant. Well, I never thought this, but there is a strong rhythm to the chant that is ...well, "Jazzy".

This is a Gloria that, if given energy and some love, can be very dramatic and powerful.
  • I have not yet introduced the ICEL Gloria fearing an outright ban from my pastor. Personally, I do find it trancendant when sung well. I sang it at another parish once and walked away from that Mass with the tune stuck in my head (and the standard fare hymnody long forgotten). I have used the other Missal chants, and even taught them in Latin in anticipation of the new Missal. The Agnus was already familiar but chanting the Santus was a stretch. I didn't take the sing-only-one-Mass-setting-for-a-year approach. We did sing them during Lent and I use them for funerals since they come from the requiem.